Switching from CWM to TWRP

Switching from CWM to TWRP

Score: 1 Votes: 1
Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96

Hello,

I am running on CM12.1 with ElementalX on my Nexus 5. I use CWM Recovery.

I want to flash CM13 now. CWM is no more supported by CynogenMod so i would like to flash TWRP before flashing CM13. How can I switch recovery now? Any issues if I do so?

Can someone please help me with this?

@getready @PaytmKaPoojari @vishusgh @zafarkhan4433
@Joker

  • In
19 Comments  |  
7 Dimers
Getready
Deal Captain
23
1,117
10634
107

There will be no issues
download latest TWRP recovery for your device (.img file)
Place it in adb folder
rename it as recovery
Boot in to fastboot/bootloader mode

Type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

for temporary purpose, type
fastboot boot recovery.img

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@getready wrote:

There will be no issues
download latest TWRP recovery for your device (.img file)
Place it in adb folder
rename it as recovery
Boot in to fastboot/bootloader mode

Type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

for temporary purpose, type
fastboot boot recovery.img


why boot over flash?

I think i have adb & fastboot. How will i come to know if i have them?

Getready
Deal Captain
23
1,117
10634
107
@Bulwark wrote:

@getready wrote:

There will be no issues
download latest TWRP recovery for your device (.img file)
Place it in adb folder
rename it as recovery
Boot in to fastboot/bootloader mode

Type
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img

for temporary purpose, type
fastboot boot recovery.img


why boot over flash?

I think i have adb & fastboot. How will i come to know if i have them?


both are same, adb/adb& fastboot

Boot over flash if you dont want to replace your current recovery (CWM)

Good deals are bad for business
Deal Subedar
0
146
1196
5

Just download the latest twrp zip and flash it from cwm. I think it would be just fine.
You can make a nandroid to be on safer side.

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@getready wrote:

both are same, adb/adb& fastboot

Boot over flash if you dont want to replace your current recovery (CWM)


Where is the directory of adb? I cant find them. I tried searching adb

ad bot
1
1
1
1
Ad Bot

I found this sponsored content on one of the ad networks.

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@neu.dimer wrote:

Just download the latest twrp zip and flash it from cwm. I think it would be just fine.
You can make a nandroid to be on safer side.


Ok will try getready’s suggestion first. I dont have nandroid though

Getready
Deal Captain
23
1,117
10634
107
@Bulwark wrote:

@getready wrote:

both are same, adb/adb& fastboot

Boot over flash if you dont want to replace your current recovery (CWM)


Where is the directory of adb? I cant find them. I tried searching adb


“Adb & fastboot”
I was lazy to type the whole thing toungueout

Eldar zakirov hermitage cat 6
Deal Lieutenant
1
97
3322
24

Download Flashify by Christian Göllner from playstore.
- Open and Grant root permission.
- Select in Flash > Recovery Image.
- Select Choose File. Or You can download TWRP directly from apk.
- Choose twrp.img
- Apply and Reboot.

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@getready wrote:

@Bulwark wrote:

@getready wrote:

both are same, adb/adb& fastboot

Boot over flash if you dont want to replace your current recovery (CWM)


Where is the directory of adb? I cant find them. I tried searching adb


“Adb & fastboot”
I was lazy to type the whole thing toungueout


I am sorry I dont have much knowledge in this. I cant find directory where adb & fastboot is installed in my machine. I tried this but still cant locate

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?...

Getready
Deal Captain
23
1,117
10634
107
@Bulwark wrote:

@getready wrote:

@Bulwark wrote:

@getready wrote:

both are same, adb/adb& fastboot

Boot over flash if you dont want to replace your current recovery (CWM)


Where is the directory of adb? I cant find them. I tried searching adb


“Adb & fastboot”
I was lazy to type the whole thing toungueout


I am sorry I dont have much knowledge in this. I cant find directory where adb & fastboot is installed in my machine. I tried this but still cant locate

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?...


you can download from here
http://androidhost.org...Ks

Alternatively you can try flashing recovery zip files via CWM or via flashify as other dimers suggested

11136622 1040528555975879 7696542147841609041 n
suspended
6
58
3849
37

Ay yo download twrp for yo phone. And let it name be recovery.img

Now place it in the folder which has ADB & FASTBOOT files.

Type d following commands:

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash recovery recovery.img
fastboot reboot
adb reboot recovery

Yoll be in recovery now.

11136622 1040528555975879 7696542147841609041 n
suspended
6
58
3849
37
@Bulwark wrote:

Done through Flashify… Thanks a ton…

@getready @Joker @now available

Why do you use nandroid?


Nandroid is a CWM word. toungueout It’s for backing up whole system (sys + data + boot/kernel) so that in case yo phone’s bricked yo can restore it.

1609890 632726593442525 264821950 n
Deal Subedar
0
59
1106
17

for switching both rom and recovery i would recommend wiping from fastboot commands first
then flash recovery and them cm13 ( refer to chromium’s guide on xda for this , simple and easy )
Root and install greenify with root mode and xposed modules to boost battery ( much needed on nexus5 )

Do try some kernels too for further enhancing battery life.

Break the bottle
Deal Captain
2
130
9054
53

I have Moto G 1st Gen. I have never done any rooting or flash. Right now i have Android Lollipop 5.1 on my mobile. I would like to install Marshmallow. Can anyhow tell me the exact steps to follow one after the other? Like root, recovery, flash etc. Please give me a simple guide as i don’t want to brick my phone. biggrin

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@gambitrite wrote:

I have Moto G 1st Gen. …


You will get auto update from Moto so wait till then. If you are bored of using stock android, check other custom rom’s ask for user reviews and then think of switching. If you are in warranty period i would suggest not to do anything

I am using CynogenMod (Custom ROM) & I am very happy

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@zafarkhan4433 wrote:


I was using ElementalX for S2W & D2W. Somehow its not working in CM13. Not sure why. I installed marshmellow version of ElementalX.

I am not aware of xposed. Can you throw some light

Break the bottle
Deal Captain
2
130
9054
53
@Bulwark wrote:


@gambitrite wrote:

I have Moto G 1st Gen. …


You will get auto update from Moto so wait till then. If you are bored of using stock android, check other custom rom’s ask for user reviews and then think of switching. If you are in warranty period i would suggest not to do anything

I am using CynogenMod (Custom ROM) & I am very happy

They have stopped support for Moto G 1st gen …. So only thinking of installing CM13.

Capture
Deal Lieutenant
17
739
5914
96
@gambitrite wrote:

They have stopped support for Moto G 1st gen …. So only thinking of installing CM13.


Interesting!!! Check on CM website for your moble. They must have detailed description on how to install

Missing