Thailand Trip - Suggestions needed

Thailand Trip - Suggestions needed

Score: 1 Votes: 1
Missing
Deal Cadet
0
54
344
22

Hi all,

I’m planning to visit Thailand in the last week of January. I’m going there with my wife, so no bang-bang and we’ll be spending most of our time in Phuket and Pattaya. We’re planning to plan the trip on our own without going for MMT or any other packages. I’m looking for advice on the below things:

- Best way to cover Phi Phi islands, Krabi island and James bond island. Can all of these be covered in 1-2 days?
- Best place for tiger petting? Not tiger really, But tiger cubs.
- Any site offering deals for local activities in Thailand? Like we have Nearbuy in India. I know someone had posted a site in this forum on a similar thread some time back. Could not find it now.

Thanks.
Prithvi

  • In
23 Comments  |  
8 Dimers
Giphy %282%29
Deal Lieutenant
6
213
4670
46

Refer- I’m going there with my wife, so no bang-bang !
Correction : No bang-bang outside. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Inputs from my side, though in hurry :-

  1. Take Visa in advance from VFS Visa for Thailand. On-arrival visa process for Indians is cumbersome now (can take upto 3 hours) and there are some scams going on at Don Muang airport especially. (By govt officials only).
  2. Dont book a package tour and book only flight from MMT/Gobibio.
    And book 4+ star hotel if possible. Star rated hotels are cheaper in Thailand compared to India.
  3. You can get things cheap and easy once you are there.
  4. Do carry your Driving License to hire a scooter at cheap prices and explore on your own.

May you have a lovely time with your love. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Napster logo icon
Deal Subedar
4
154
1886
40
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

Refer- I’m going there with my wife, so no bang-bang !
Correction : No bang-bang outside. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Inputs from my side, though in hurry :-
# Take Visa in advance from VFS Visa for Thailand. On-arrival visa process for Indians is cumbersome now (can take upto 3 hours) and there are some scams going on at Don Muang airport especially. (By govt officials only).
# Dont book a package tour and book only flight from MMT/Gobibio.
And book 4+ star hotel if possible. Star rated hotels are cheaper in Thailand compared to India.
# You can get things cheap and easy once you are there.
# Do carry your Driving License to hire a scooter at cheap prices and explore on your own.

May you have a lovely time with your love. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

REMOVED

Shutterstock 1013504321
Deal Subedar
2
6
2598
25
Expand
enapster wrote:

I think he meant – I’m going there with my wife, so no gang-bang!

500-1000 ke note se Flight Ticket Lekar Thikane laga hi diya aakhir Op ne https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Shutterstock 1013504321
Deal Subedar
2
6
2598
25
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

Refer- I’m going there with my wife, so no bang-bang !
Correction : No bang-bang outside. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Inputs from my side, though in hurry :-
# Take Visa in advance from VFS Visa for Thailand. On-arrival visa process for Indians is cumbersome now (can take upto 3 hours) and there are some scams going on at Don Muang airport especially. (By govt officials only).
# Dont book a package tour and book only flight from MMT/Gobibio.
And book 4+ star hotel if possible. Star rated hotels are cheaper in Thailand compared to India.
# You can get things cheap and easy once you are there.
# Do carry your Driving License to hire a scooter at cheap prices and explore on your own.

May you have a lovely time with your love. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

U have been Thailand Before https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif

kaha kaha ghume ho china Thai -

Russia nahi gaye kya ? https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Untitled
Deal Cadet
1
88
322
23

code-word is boom-boom, remember it u may need this in emergency https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif

ad bot
1
1
1
1
Ad Bot

I found this sponsored content on one of the ad networks.

Giphy %282%29
Deal Lieutenant
6
213
4670
46
Expand
blue wine wrote:

U have been Thailand Before https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif

kaha kaha ghume ho china Thai –

Russia nahi gaye kya ? https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Ruko bhejta hu tumhare Gaon mein Russian Mafia! https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_twisted.gif

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
37937
638

@prithvirao17 First of all, I don’t understand why you’d want to visit both Pattaya as well as Phuket in the same trip, especially since you are going with your wife. They both are quite different and are far apart from each other. I would recommend you to stick to Phuket and the nearby islands.

(1) Yes, all three islands you have mentioned could easily be visited over one or two days. I recommend taking a ferry/speedboat from Phuket to Phi Phi and then on to Krabi. If you are short on time then you can even visit the James Bond island on the same day.

(2) Tiger Kingdom in Phuket.

(3) Both Groupon and Ensogo got shut down recently and I am not aware of any other local deals site for Thailand.

Moreover, see the following threads where people have discussed Thailand trips.

http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...
http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...
http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...
http://www.desidime.com/forums/trading-classifi...

Napster logo icon
Deal Subedar
4
154
1886
40
Expand
blue wine wrote:

500-1000 ke note se Flight Ticket Lekar Thikane laga hi diya aakhir Op ne https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Yeahbsolutely!

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
54
344
22
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

Refer- I’m going there with my wife, so no bang-bang !
Correction : No bang-bang outside. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Inputs from my side, though in hurry :-
# Take Visa in advance from VFS Visa for Thailand. On-arrival visa process for Indians is cumbersome now (can take upto 3 hours) and there are some scams going on at Don Muang airport especially. (By govt officials only).
# Dont book a package tour and book only flight from MMT/Gobibio.
And book 4+ star hotel if possible. Star rated hotels are cheaper in Thailand compared to India.
# You can get things cheap and easy once you are there.
# Do carry your Driving License to hire a scooter at cheap prices and explore on your own.

May you have a lovely time with your love. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

No bang-bang outside. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor... https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I’m not planning to ride a scooter since i heard it might be risky and also that the public transport (tuk tuk/bus) is very cheap.

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
54
344
22
DealSeeker wrote:

@prithvirao17 First of all, I don’t understand why you’d want to visit both Pattaya as well as Phuket in the same trip, especially since you are going with your wife. They both are quite different and are far apart from each other. I would recommend you to stick to Phuket and the nearby islands.


(1) Yes, all three islands you have mentioned could easily be visited over one or two days. I recommend taking a ferry/speedboat from Phuket to Phi Phi and then on to Krabi. If you are short on time then you can even visit the James Bond island on the same day.

(2) Tiger Kingdom in Phuket.

(3) Both Groupon and Ensogo got shut down recently and I am not aware of any other local deals site for Thailand.


Moreover, see the following threads where people have discussed Thailand trips.

http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...
http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...
http://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/t...
http://www.desidime.com/forums/trading-classifi...

We like to explore places and it does not matter what we have there. We’re pretty broad minded and don’t mind going to some go-go bars (just to see though https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_sad.gif). We also want to party a bit and check out some cabaret shows

I’ll be in Thailand for about 7 days. How many days will we need in each place?

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
37937
638
Expand
prithvirao17 wrote:

We like to explore places and it does not matter what we have there. We’re pretty broad minded and don’t mind going to some go-go bars (just to see though https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_sad.gif). We also want to party a bit and check out some cabaret shows

I’ll be in Thailand for about 7 days. How many days will we need in each place?

In that case, you can spend some time in Bangkok as well (Soi Cowboy is THE place for go-go bars). How much time you spend in Phuket, Pattaya, or Bangkok is a subjective matter, bro. Depends on your goals. I could spend all 7-days in the islands nearby Phuket if my intention is to unwind from the city life.

Giphy %282%29
Deal Lieutenant
6
213
4670
46
Expand
prithvirao17 wrote:

No bang-bang outside. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor... https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif.

Thanks for the valuable inputs. I’m not planning to ride a scooter since i heard it might be risky and also that the public transport (tuk tuk/bus) is very cheap.

Tuk-Tuk is not cheap!
Its like a trendy ride and they charge as-much or even more than a Corolla cab.
Keep that in mind. + Cabs if going by meter are well worth it. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Public transport is ok but you will face some language problem in it. (Not too much though).

And Thailand is an absolutely fun-filled place. And its safe. Unlike India, you can roam around in the night. But do keep emergency numbers handy (in case).

Further, don’t forget to pick-up (yes pick-up) a Prepaid sim from Airport itself. They are free of charge and pre-activated. You just need to add some calling balance + data recharge. No ID proofs are required to buy a Tourist SIM in Thailand.

→ The cheapest plan would be to activate Bolo Card (Details here → http://www.desiyatri.com/2012/01/thailand-to-in...)
Calling rates are as cheap as 0.9 THB/min (almost Rs 1.80 per min) to India! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Agree with @DealSeeker that you can check out some places in Bangkok. It has some great places to visit + shopping for your wife. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

Timon    gesture drawing by gooseberry007
Deal Lieutenant
0
20
4674
37

^ Another DS in making. https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
54
344
22
Expand
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

Tuk-Tuk is not cheap!
It like a trendy ride and they charge as-much or even more than a Corolla cab.
Keep that in mind. + Cabs if going by meter are well worth it. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Public transport is ok but you will face some language problem in it. (Not too much though).

And Thailand is an absolutely fun-filled place. And its safe. Unlike India, you can roam around in the night. But do keep emergency numbers handy (in case).

Further, don’t forget to pick-up (yes pick-up) a Prepaid sim from Airport itself. They are free of charge and pre-activated. You just need to add some calling balance + data recharge. No ID proofs are required to buy a Tourist SIM in Thailand.

→ The cheapest plan would be to activate Bolo Card (Details here → http://www.desiyatri.com/2012/01/thailand-to-in...)
Calling rates are as cheap as 0.9 THB/min (almost Rs 1.80 per min) to India! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Agree with @DealSeeker that you can check out some places in Bangkok. It has some great places to visit + shopping for your wife. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

Thank you so much. I had no idea about the tuk tuk price. I was thinking it would be a bit on the lesser end.

Also, the SIM card thing i had read before. But will definitely make sure to get the Bolo card.

How good is sriracha tiger zoo? I’m an animal lover and i don’t want to see animals getting tortured or drugged. but my wife wants pictures with tiger cubs. So i have no option but to go for this or the tiger kingdom in phuket. I know the tiger kingdom has the option to click pics with tiger cubs for about 1300 THB. Is there something similar in sriracha tiger zoo? If yes, which place is better?

Giphy %282%29
Deal Lieutenant
6
213
4670
46
Expand
prithvirao17 wrote:

Thank you so much. I had no idea about the tuk tuk price. I was thinking it would be a bit on the lesser end.

Also, the SIM card thing i had read before. But will definitely make sure to get the Bolo card.

How good is sriracha tiger zoo? I’m an animal lover and i don’t want to see animals getting tortured or drugged. but my wife wants pictures with tiger cubs. So i have no option but to go for this or the tiger kingdom in phuket. I know the tiger kingdom has the option to click pics with tiger cubs for about 1300 THB. Is there something similar in sriracha tiger zoo? If yes, which place is better?

Oops. I am not an animal lover, I am an animal (goat) myself ! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Sorry but I am not much into visiting such places, you should be heading over to Tripadvisor for the same. But do keep in mind you have to weed out fake reviews. https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_confused.gif
Additionally, do look for some good places to eat. You will find good Indian restaurants with Hindi speaking attendants. But I suggest you to do the HOMEWORK well in advance. Once you are there, it should be only bang-bang, lol, I meant only jam-jam! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

And riding a scooter in Thailand is not risky. And nobody cares if you are carrying a license or not.
Further, helmets are also more of an accessory than a utility. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

Gasoline is cheap. And the fun of riding your own (though rented) scooter to any part of the island is beyond cabs/tuk-tuk experiences.

You will find atleast 50% tourists on automatic scooters. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif
_____________
While in Bangkok, you need a cab/tuk-tuk.
Metro connectivity is not seamless in Bangkok yet and to switch between the various lines, you have to walk a lot at times and buy a separated token/pass for each line. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_cry.gif

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
37937
638
Expand
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

Oops.
I am not an animal lover, I am an animal (goat) myself ! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Sorry but I am not much into visiting such places,…

Hmm…so you go to Thailand for Thai…food, eh? https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif Pad Thai, anyone?

Giphy %282%29
Deal Lieutenant
6
213
4670
46
Expand
DealSeeker wrote:

Hmm…so you go to Thailand for Thai…food, eh? https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif Pad Thai, anyone?

I dont like Thai food.
I am pure vegetarian. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_rolleyes.gif

And damn, I have to stick to such limited choices at restaurants abroad. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_surprised.gif

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
37937
638
Expand
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

I dont like Thai food.
I am pure vegetarian. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_rolleyes.gif

And damn, I have to stick to such limited choices at restaurants abroad. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_surprised.gif

They do make vegetarian Pad Thai. As a fellow vegetarian, I can empathize with the struggle, especially in Thailand.

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
54
344
22
Expand
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:

Oops.
I am not an animal lover, I am an animal (goat) myself ! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Sorry but I am not much into visiting such places, you should be heading over to Tripadvisor for the same. But do keep in mind you have to weed out fake reviews.
:-?
Additionally, do look for some good places to eat. You will find good Indian restaurants with Hindi speaking attendants. But I suggest you to do the HOMEWORK well in advance. Once you are there, it should be only bang-bang, lol, I meant only jam-jam! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

And riding a scooter in Thailand is not risky. And nobody cares if you are carrying a license or not.
Further, helmets are also more of an accessory than a utility. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

Gasoline is cheap. And the fun of riding your own (though rented) scooter to any part of the island is beyond cabs/tuk-tuk experiences.

You will find atleast 50% tourists on automatic scooters. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif
_____________
While in Bangkok, you need a cab/tuk-tuk.
Metro connectivity is not seamless in Bangkok yet and to switch between the various lines, you have to walk a lot at times and buy a separated token/pass for each line. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_cry.gif

Point noted. I’ll definitely rent a vehicle on at least 1-2 days during the trip https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

About food, I don’t want to go all the way to Thailand and eat Indian food https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif. I love Thai cuisine and street food.

One last thing, Any sites offering discounts on flights? I found hotels2thailand for discount on activities.

Giphy %282%29
Deal Lieutenant
6
213
4670
46
Expand
prithvirao17 wrote:

Point noted. I’ll definitely rent a vehicle on at least 1-2 days during the trip https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

About food, I don’t want to go all the way to Thailand and eat Indian food https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_biggrin.gif. I love Thai cuisine and street food.

One last thing, Any sites offering discounts on flights? I found hotels2thailand for discount on activities.

Discount on flights?
Depends on ongoing offers
Paytm was offering some flat cashback for international flights!
Else, Gocash+ can be burned fully for flight tickets.

Whatever you do and howsoever you book, dont forget to choose an air ticket that allows checked-in baggage too! (Dont go for handbag only fares). https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

@DealSeeker aka Dayal Sharma – the veg Pad-Thai they make is also made in FISH SAUCE. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_lol.gif
Even omelettes had chicken in my island resort near Krabi.

Is fish sauce vegetarian?
You might think it’s gross, but you’ve probably eaten it if you’ve ever ordered a Thai curry in a non vegetarian Thai restaurant. Always ask beforehand if the curry pastes are made with shrimp paste. Most people know to ask for no fish sauce, but shrimp paste is still likely to be lurking.

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
37937
638
Expand
19 Female Gurgaon wrote:


@DealSeeker aka Dayal Sharma the veg Pad-Thai they make is also made in FISH SAUCE. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_lol.gif
Even omelettes had chicken in my island resort near Krabi.

Is fish sauce vegetarian?
You might think it’s gross, but you’ve probably eaten it if you’ve ever ordered a Thai curry in a non vegetarian Thai restaurant. Always ask beforehand if the curry pastes are made with shrimp paste. Most people know to ask for no fish sauce, but shrimp paste is still likely to be lurking.

Bhai, having lived for almost a decade in the US and because of my interest in food and nutrition, I am aware of all the hidden ways they sneak non-vegetarian things even in the vegetarian foods. So apart from compromising on my vegetarian dishes being cooked in the same unwashed utensils, I think I have done pretty well so far.

And, yes, I always ask for the presence of chicken/lard/fish in the broth used for cooking any noodles/rice dish. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

Missing