I have been debating for a week whether to get the Atrix 2 or the SG2.
After having used both phones I would honestly pick the Atrix 2 hands down. Friday I decided to bite the bullet and purchase the Atrix 2 and after using it all weekend couldn’t be happier with my decision.
Here are a few points for the Atrix 2.
1. Build. Just the pure feel of the Atrix 2 is nicer.
The sg2 never felt very solid to me. It just seems too cheap plastic feeling. Also, if you twist the phone from corner to corner (lightly) you can feel a lot of play in the sg2 whereas the Atrix 2 feels rock solid.
I personaly just like having a phone that feels like its built rugged.
The Atrix 2 is also alot more comfortable to hold in the hand and operate.
As mentioned before, single handed operations are much easier on this phone.
The SG2 just feels like a big soft brick to me.
2. Screen. While the sg2 arguably has a more superior screen, I am not a fan of the high gloss. There was a lot of glare using this phone in daylight, and it was also not very bright. THe Atrix 2 had little glare and was extremely bright. Also, the Atrix2 has a much better resolution than the SG2. There have also been a lot of complaints and returns of the SG2 based on screen issues.
3. Speed. Although the SG2 apparently has better benchmarks, I did not notice any speed difference between the two devices. The Atrix 2 really seems to fly when loading apps, switching apps ectd. When i finally asked an ATT rep why the Atrix 2 seemed just as fast, he claimed that SG2 does not utilize dual channel processing where the Atrix 2 does. So even though the processor is a little weaker on the Atrix 2, it is optimized by the dual channel processing. Now whether or not this is true i have yet to research. What I can tell you is that I thought the SG2 was going to outperform the Atrix 2 but I could not notice any difference in speed. To me the Atrix 2 seemed to be just as fast if not more responsive than the sg2, although this could just be because I feel the UI is much better on motorola than samsung.
4. UI. I felt the overall UI and operator experience was much nicer on the Atrix 2. The SG2 wasn’t bad, but the Atrix 2 just seems quite a bit smoother. (keep in mind the UI is new, not the old “blur”)
5. Battery. The Atrix 2 has a larger capacity battery than the SG2. I haven’t compared the battery usage on both devices but what I can tell you is that the Atrix 2 seems to go a long way with heavy use. ATT also offers an extended battery (double the battery life) for $50. This comes with a new battery door but only adds a few mm to the thickness of the phone.
Not a bad option if battery life is a major concern.
6. Price. Lets be honest, Atrix 2 price is 6000-10000 less than the price of SG2. So even if the SG2 is a little bit faster and the screen slightly better (though not in my opinion), is it worth double the pricetag? No to me.
Overall the Atrix 2 seems like it is better built. The battery life is also great. The UI is nice and smooth. So far the atrix 2 has handled anything i throw at it.
I have no regrets with my decision and would probably still opt to buy the Atrix 2.