First of all,hats off to Micromax, An Indian company pulling this off.
I’m making review after using this phone for almost 22 days.This phone has an awesome hardware for the price.
1. Processor and RAM : 4 64 bit Processor cores are clocked at 1.5 Ghz (For heavy processing) and 4 clocked at 1 Ghz for regular processing and saving battery on most tasks. RAM of 2GB is good enough even for heavy multitasking. No lag experienced so far. 64 bit will only improve the speed/performance when it gets the Lollipop (CM12) update.
2. CAMERA: Back Camera sensor is MX214. Same as used in One Plus One, Only differences are Yureka has 5P lens and 1 Flash and OnePlus One has 6P lens + Dual Flash. According to sensors and Lens used above, the Camera does not perform up to the mark , But I have seen some updates on Camera drivers by YU development team, So I’m expecting the camera to be as powerful as OnePlus One with next update.(Including 4K video ) Front Camera is a 5 MP and is a good selfie camera
3.Display : Display is 5.5 inches IPS with resolution of 720p which is good enough for a mobile of this size. Some may argue that it is not full HD, but on daily use, it does not make much of a difference in experience. The touch screen is butter smooth and I would say it is one of the smoothest screen I have ever operated on an Android phone. But make sure you put on an screen protector. They claim it is gorilla glass but I got some scratches on my screen with regular use.. The low light performance of both cameras is not upto the mark but I expect it to improve with software/driver update.
4. Battery : For me, Battery lasts for 1.5 days with regular mail checks, sudoku, web browsing, shopping, whatsapp etc. The power save mode is also effective and I use it when my battery falls below 30%. So battery is good enough and with Lollipop update, it would easily last for two days as Lollipop is supposed to have optimizations on battery use.
5. Software : This is the main reason I went for this phone. CyanogenMod. I initially purchased OnePlus One but cancelled order as soon Yureka was announced. And I’m extremely happy of the decision as I saved some cash there. CyanogenMod OS nothing but optimized android with more flexibility and regular updates. You don’t have to rely much on Hardware company selling the phone but to the dedicated OS community doing just the Software. So regular updates can be expected for much longer. The software has many bugs as of now, but they are being fixed as far as I know. Already 1 Update is released which fixes many of this issues.
6. Build : This phone feels awesome in Hand. Lightweight, Slim, Soft back with moonstone finish( Though I am using it with leather cover which is super awesome and feels premium) Only problem I see is the front display which may or may not be gorilla glass as I already got some hair thin scratches without screen protector.
Bottomline : This is an excellent phone for the price and trust me, It will only get better with software updates. The durability remains to be seen, but I will happily upgrade it after an year(once warranty expires), as It comes for less than one third of the price of those samsungs/iphones. Not for ppl who buy phone for status symbol and not much for actual use.
I hope Micromax starts manufacturing phones of this kind in India itself in near future rather then importing.