4G LTE Modem/Router/Dongle

100°
Missing
Deal Cadet
144
348
3

Hi Dimers,

I am looking for a decent modem/router/dongle that takes SIM card as input and gives out WiFi as output. I know, we can use mobile hotspot for this, but even though the network signals are pretty good in my area, still the net sucks (tried both Jio and Vi), most probably due to my low end cheap smartphone… Hence was looking was some option like this. JioFi also looks good, but it’s tied to Jio only, hence need your advice on which device to get ? Back in my days, 5-6 years ago, we used to have Huawei 3g dongle that worked on all sim cards, is there such options now for 4g lte ?
Kindly suggest what’s the best option for me.

19 Comments  |  
7 Dimers
Missing
Perfectionist
72
13939
113

Huawei E8372H 155 wingle , TP link MR100/200/400/6400

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1

Did you buy . Pls share your experience ::

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1

Did you buy . Pls share your experience ::

Missing
Deal Cadet
144
348
3
hsmhsm wrote:

Did you buy . Pls share your experience ::

No Bro, my residential area recently got covered by Jio Fibre, so I went for this;
P.S: My sis has a JioFi dongle but she says it’s signal is pretty much the same as you get from a phone’s hotspot.

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1
panchabhut wrote:

If cost is not an issue, buy TP-Link MR600. It is the only LTE modem with 2CA. Using it for last 6 months with Jio SIM. Getting speeds much higher than mobile, particularly upload speeds.
https://www.amazon.in/Archer-MR600-Unlocked-Com...

Cool ! I already have it in my wishlist. I feel prices of all mobile/internet devices have increased considerably post covid due to great demand from WFH crowd. Hoping they will come down by next quarter. Basic dongles were available for 900 before covid and now they are priced more than 1800.

Can it be placed outside (weather, rain, sun proof?) for better signal ? And does it support external antenna ?

Missing
Critic
375
3755
48
Expand
hsmhsm wrote:

Cool ! I already have it in my wishlist. I feel prices of all mobile/internet devices have increased considerably post covid due to great demand from WFH crowd. Hoping they will come down by next quarter. Basic dongles were available for 900 before covid and now they are priced more than 1800.

Can it be placed outside (weather, rain, sun proof?) for better signal ? And does it support external antenna ?

Non-removable antenna. Not weather proof. But can be placed on a wall that is protected from rain/sun.

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

No

Bro do you have the same model as in your amazon link because I got this : laughing

Frequently bought together
TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200 Mbps 4G+ Cat6 Mobile Wi-Fi Router Dual Band Wireless WiFi, 4G/3G Network SIM Slot Unlocked, No Configuration Required, Support Guest Network & Parental Control
+
OXYWAVE 4G LTE External Antenna for Boost Router, Wireless GSM Landline Phone Signal with SMA-Male Connector and Cable (10 METERS/32 Feet)
Total price: ₹ 12,799.00
Add both to Cart
These items are dispatched from and sold by different sellers. Show details
Buy the selected items together

This item:TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200 Mbps 4G+ Cat6 Mobile Wi-Fi Router Dual Band Wireless WiFi, 4G/3G Network… ₹ 8,999.00

OXYWAVE 4G LTE External Antenna for Boost Router, Wireless GSM Landline Phone Signal with SMA-Male… ₹ 3,800.00

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

No

Bro do you have the same model as in your amazon link because I got this : laughing

Frequently bought together
TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200 Mbps 4G+ Cat6 Mobile Wi-Fi Router Dual Band Wireless WiFi, 4G/3G Network SIM Slot Unlocked, No Configuration Required, Support Guest Network & Parental Control
+
OXYWAVE 4G LTE External Antenna for Boost Router, Wireless GSM Landline Phone Signal with SMA-Male Connector and Cable (10 METERS/32 Feet)
Total price: ₹ 12,799.00
Add both to Cart
These items are dispatched from and sold by different sellers. Show details
Buy the selected items together

This item:TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200 Mbps 4G+ Cat6 Mobile Wi-Fi Router Dual Band Wireless WiFi, 4G/3G Network… ₹ 8,999.00

OXYWAVE 4G LTE External Antenna for Boost Router, Wireless GSM Landline Phone Signal with SMA-Male… ₹ 3,800.00

Missing
Critic
375
3755
48

@hsmhsm
I have the same model. And I know that the antenna cannot be removed and there is no other port to attach external antenna. Also, the specs on amazon no where indicate that external antenna can be used. It supports Onemesh so will work with TPLink range extenders seamlessly.
People can buy anything together. That do not make those things compatible. If you are making your buy decisions based on what other people bought together, rather than actually reading the specs, then good luck.

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1
panchabhut wrote:

@hsmhsm
I have the same model. And I know that the antenna cannot be removed and there is no other port to attach external antenna. Also, the specs on amazon no where indicate that external antenna can be used. It supports Onemesh so will work with TPLink range extenders seamlessly.
People can buy anything together. That do not make those things compatible. If you are making your buy decisions based on what other people bought together, rather than actually reading the specs, then good luck.

Bro Check this out

Missing
Critic
375
3755
48

Seems there are multiple versions of the same device. Something TPLink also did with other models. So you can take your chances.

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
284
1
invisible007249 wrote:

Is it possible to unlock jio wifi modem?

Search in forums, it’s been done by firmware hackers or DIY

Missing
Deal Cadet
144
348
3
invisible007249 wrote:

Is it possible to unlock jio wifi modem?

Yup, can be done by firmware injection; just google out how to unlock jiofi.

Missing