Hot Deal

Amazon account HACKED

364°
Deal Cadet
ASH13

My amazon account was hacked this evening .
I used to keep my apay balance 3000+ as i use apay for my uber rides.
For the same reason I did my best to keep my account secured, update password timely, 2 step factor authentication but still it was hacked and now temporarily blocked
The fraudsters first did some 2500 transaction from my apay balance which was refunded by Amazon within 5min as they found it suspicious and temporarily blocked my account
Fraudsters also tried to change my mobile no. And i also got this email from Amazon "Amazon Pay Later option was enabled for you with your earlier mobile number. Since you have updated your mobile number recently, this option is now disabled for you."
Now the question is how did he got access over my account bcz i never keep the same password for all apps and i have also activated 2 factor authentication
The only loophole i could see is i registered my amazon pay balance account to uber and some other trustful payment apps like Swiggy etc which I don't remember.
Expired
24 Comments  |  
16 Dimers
  • Sort By
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied
Holy moly! What should I do now with my acct!?
Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Check device linked to apps and devices.
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Having 15k+ in my ac A worrying factor.....
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
The last thing I did with my amazon account is that I booked uber ride at 6 pm And received this 2500 fraud transaction message at 9 pm Is there any connection btw my uber and Amazon account to this fraud.
Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
The thing is that uber can compromised and some other u used. Take example, if i have access to one your apps which u have linked apay, threading nd leeching can happen. People earn money from this. Also when u are linking your apb to any other 3rd party app, you tap agree on consent.
View 1 more reply
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
I came to know about this fraud only when I received a message from Amazon about 2500 successful transactions and another message of 2500 refund
Cool Cool
Link Copied
Can you check both Uber and Swiggy apps for any Rs 2500 transactions or refunds initiated?
Also, did you select 2-step authentication using SMS or 3rd party app such as Google/Microsoft Authenticator?
View 1 more reply
Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Le fraudsters to AMAZON:images1311
Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied
Similar cases were reported before this yours is interesting since 2-factor authentication is enabled and through linked apps one cannot access your account (most definitely not when OTP / Authenticator code is required for login & changed contact number) 

Edit: Last time when something similar happened (Croma GVs via wallet balance), the culprit was found to be modded amazon app
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Rooted device bro ?

Any app installed from unknown sources ?

Using any free proxy server ?

Commentator Commentator
Link Copied
Same happened with me during first COVID lockdown. It was due to app installed from unknown source (i think so). Looter bought some GV using my pay balance, Amazon has refunded the same later after complaining.
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
This is very scary as a lot is linked to our Amazon account. Did you download any new apps recently which might be compromised? 
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied
Someone ordered in amazon.uk using my Indian amazon account smiling_imp imp
Savings Mentor Savings Mentor
Link Copied

Scary stuff if it was hacked despite 2-factor authentication! Better to move balance to a bank account I am starting to think.

Btw computer security expert, Microsoft, no longer recommends changing passwords frequently as a security measure: https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/... They say it's an obsolete mitigation

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Partially relevant question: which city do you live in?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
2 Step verification enable karne chaiye hamesha 
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

One more possibility - Uber driver does not end the trip on completion, knowingly or unknowingly, keeps on traveling with the trip in progress. When amount reaches 2500, or driver reaches his destination, then ends the trip at 9 pm. The total amount then gets deducted by Uber for this ghost trip.

My imagination though, happened with me once and I thought my Amazon account hacked

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
No I got the receipt on uber after the ride Which is just 131 rs
View 1 more reply
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

I once installed an Netflix Mod app.(I installed it, opened the app once and left it there). Just after a few days somebody used my Amazon Pay balance to pay some electricity bills. Amazon pay CC is not co-operative at that time and only a strong post on Twitter tagging their CC worked

Deal Major Deal Major
Link Copied

remove access to other apps like uber swiggy magicpin

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
The only thing I can add to this is The uber app is used by my mom in her own mobile phone as it's easy to pay , no need to carry cash or change That's why I added my amazon pay account to my mom uber account
replyuser
Click here to reply