Amex MRCC upgrade to Platinum Travel

100°
Missing
Deal Newbie
52
43
1

Hi I got upgrade offer from Amex MRCC to Platinum Travel.

I have achieved spends of 1.5 Lacs that waives the annual fee of MRCC.

No spend based waiver on Amex Platinum Travel card.

Should I subscribe?

20 Comments  |  
10 Dimers
Missing
Deal Newbie
52
43
1

Upgrade to Amex Platinum Travel will make my existing MRCC LTF.

Missing
Critic
350
2155
34

Only take amex platinum if you travel(book flight tickets) enough to make use of the reward structure & redeemed points.

Missing
Deal Subedar
193
1285
22
guest_999 wrote:

Only take amex platinum if you travel(book flight tickets) enough to make use of the reward structure & redeemed points.

What fee are they demanding for Amex platinum?
1) if they agree for keeping annual fee same/less than MRCC, then it makes sense to accept. Else,
2) I will suggest you to take smartearn CC as LTF and continue with MRCC with same fee.

Try to negotiate.

Missing
Critic
350
2155
34
Expand
nimod wrote:

What fee are they demanding for Amex platinum?
1) if they agree for keeping annual fee same/less than MRCC, then it makes sense to accept. Else,
2) I will suggest you to take smartearn CC as LTF and continue with MRCC with same fee.

Try to negotiate.

You quoted wrong person, also amex platinum card is never given free & there is only 1 standard fee which is shown on their site.

Missing
Deal Subedar
193
1285
22
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

You quoted wrong person, also amex platinum card is never given free & there is only 1 standard fee which is shown on their site.

Sorry about earlier quote.

I was not aware that amex Platinum is always paid.
So, op should check my second suggestion.

Missing
Deal Newbie
52
43
1

Just a simple calculation. I need to spend 1.5 Lacs on my MRCC to waive annual fee. In case of upgrade, I will spend 4×12 = 48K to earn month bonus 1000X12 rewards points. I can move my remaining 1 Lacs spends to Platinum Travel card. Are there any partial fee waiver.

Additional 90K spend will give me vouchers of Flipkart worth 5k.

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
56
1

I recently got Amex platinum travel card. Does anyone know how much time or what kind of spends can get me an offer where mrcc is offered as free companion card.
Does anyone who’s holding platinum travel card have been offered mrcc as companion card please share your experience.

Missing
Deal Subedar
234
1457
24
guest_999 wrote:

Only take amex platinum if you travel(book flight tickets) enough to make use of the reward structure & redeemed points.

Till 31 Dec, you can redeem bonus points for FK vouchers. I just redeemed 2 yrs of my bonus points for 26000 Rs. of FK vouchers, thats the best return I have got not even MRCC/Gold card will be able to beat it, also the Taj vouchers of 10K, which can be sold for a decent price, so this is more of a value for money card and definitely not focussed on just travel

Missing
Deal Subedar
234
1457
24
Expand
nimod wrote:

Sorry about earlier quote.

I was not aware that amex Platinum is always paid.
So, op should check my second suggestion.

Thats not 100% right, my fees for Amex platinum travel were waived off.

Missing
Deal Subedar
193
1285
22
Expand
dummyuser wrote:

Thats not 100% right, my fees for Amex platinum travel were waived off.

spend based waiver or some other way?

Missing
Deal Subedar
234
1457
24
Expand
nimod wrote:

spend based waiver or some other way?

Yes I’m guessing. I actually completed the 4L spend and then in Diwali last year got another tgt so maybe that’s the reason

Missing
Deal Subedar
5
2315
31
Expand
dummyuser wrote:

Till 31 Dec, you can redeem bonus points for FK vouchers. I just redeemed 2 yrs of my bonus points for 26000 Rs. of FK vouchers, thats the best return I have got not even MRCC/Gold card will be able to beat it, also the Taj vouchers of 10K, which can be sold for a decent price, so this is more of a value for money card and definitely not focussed on just travel

By bonus you mean 1k bonus points that Amex gives every month on spending Rs. 1k×4?

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
194
5044
63
Expand
sardasa wrote:

By bonus you mean 1k bonus points that Amex gives every month on spending Rs. 1k×4?

1Kx4 ==> 1k bonus offer not there for Platinum Travel card
It has milestone bonus rewards.
Milestone Bonus Membership Rewards Points on the following three Milestones as defined below:
• Spending Rs. 5,000 within 60 days of cardmembership entitles you to a Welcome Gift1.
• Reaching spend threshold of Rs. 1.9 Lacs every year7.
• Reaching spend threshold of Rs. 4 Lacs every year7.

Missing
Deal Subedar
5
2315
31
Expand
caks2006407 wrote:

1Kx4 ==> 1k bonus offer not there for Platinum Travel card
It has milestone bonus rewards.
Milestone Bonus Membership Rewards Points on the following three Milestones as defined below:
• Spending Rs. 5,000 within 60 days of cardmembership entitles you to a Welcome Gift1.
• Reaching spend threshold of Rs. 1.9 Lacs every year7.
• Reaching spend threshold of Rs. 4 Lacs every year7.

How much are the rewards?

Missing
Deal Cadet
182
821
14
Expand
nimod wrote:

Sorry about earlier quote.

I was not aware that amex Platinum is always paid.
So, op should check my second suggestion.

I think monthly fees is 5000. They will skip it for 1 year and later they will start charging money.

My personal experience with gold card. You can give them call before December statement and inform if card is not free you want to discontinue it. They will remove membership fees. I am doing this from last 2 years. Using card for 3 years first year was free and next 2 years this trick helped.

Missing
Deal Subedar
79
2971
32
Expand
pravinchalke wrote:

I think monthly fees is 5000. They will skip it for 1 year and later they will start charging money.

My personal experience with gold card. You can give them call before December statement and inform if card is not free you want to discontinue it. They will remove membership fees. I am doing this from last 2 years. Using card for 3 years first year was free and next 2 years this trick helped.

I’ve Amex MRCC card with annual fee of Rs.4500+GST. Last year I had to pay full annual fee as I couldn’t spend 1.5L and later with much bargain, I could get only 50% of fee back.

Last month Amex offered me SmartEarn CC as LTF companion card. I accepted.

Now as we see people get Amex MRCC with annual fee of Rs.1500+GST. I tried to bargain with Amex to reduce my annual fee from 4500 to 1500 but couldn’t get successful. How should I approach them? Should I ask to close my both MRCC and SmartEarn Card? Or any other way?

Missing
Deal Subedar
149
2369
37
Expand
Philosopher wrote:

I’ve Amex MRCC card with annual fee of Rs.4500+GST. Last year I had to pay full annual fee as I couldn’t spend 1.5L and later with much bargain, I could get only 50% of fee back.

Last month Amex offered me SmartEarn CC as LTF companion card. I accepted.

Now as we see people get Amex MRCC with annual fee of Rs.1500+GST. I tried to bargain with Amex to reduce my annual fee from 4500 to 1500 but couldn’t get successful. How should I approach them? Should I ask to close my both MRCC and SmartEarn Card? Or any other way?

Refer MRCC to any of your family member if possible, after enjoying referrel benefits, close your card. Continue using the new card with 1500+GST annual fee like now.

Missing
Deal Cadet
182
821
14
Expand
Philosopher wrote:

I’ve Amex MRCC card with annual fee of Rs.4500+GST. Last year I had to pay full annual fee as I couldn’t spend 1.5L and later with much bargain, I could get only 50% of fee back.

Last month Amex offered me SmartEarn CC as LTF companion card. I accepted.

Now as we see people get Amex MRCC with annual fee of Rs.1500+GST. I tried to bargain with Amex to reduce my annual fee from 4500 to 1500 but couldn’t get successful. How should I approach them? Should I ask to close my both MRCC and SmartEarn Card? Or any other way?

Whenever I call them for negotiation I start with close my card. They ask me reason and I say it’s just membership fees which I don’t want to pay. Also I highlight them that Amex don’t have any cash back offer with website like FlipKart, Amazon, TataCliq.

Many vendors don’t accept Amex Card because they charge 5% fees for Vendor so I am not able to spend that much.

After listing this all they return/cancel my fees.

Always remember to call them before December Statement Generation and discuss this. Else you have to pay it first and then they will revert in January statement.

Missing
Deal Subedar
79
2971
32
Expand
manikantaks4u wrote:

Refer MRCC to any of your family member if possible, after enjoying referrel benefits, close your card. Continue using the new card with 1500+GST annual fee like now.

Referred Twice. But not getting approved.

Missing