Anyone bought BestBuy Unlocked phones to be used in India?

192°
Missing
Deal Lieutenant
13
3519
148

I am planning to buy myself a Pixel 3a from BestBuy, USA. It is costing 199 USD + Tax for an unlocked version with activate today option.
Will it work in india on any sim? Did anybody has similar experience?

18 Comments  |  
8 Dimers
Missing
Deal Subedar
193
1011
16

You should avoid.
4G bands are different in USA and India.
Moverover, we are mostly on VoLTE now, Not sure if US phones work with VoLTE.

Missing
Deal Major
7,080
23570
292
nimod wrote:

You should avoid.
4G bands are different in USA and India.
Moverover, we are mostly on VoLTE now, Not sure if US phones work with VoLTE.

VoLTE works fine (even with some carrier locked phones) but the problem is with the network bands
While some true unlocked phones like Essential Phone had all 4G bands some unlocked phones lacked Band 40/41, so you need to check the supported bands before making the purchase decision

Missing
Deal Cadet
224
566
18

that 199 price is with activation on verizon network in US. otherwise its 399

Missing
Deal Cadet
100
177
2

199$ for a completely unlocked pixel 3a?
I don’t think so.

Missing
Deal Major
7,080
23570
292
Expand
newuser wrote:

sprint/verizon/whatever
does it matter?
what matters is that OP undestands the unlocked phone is available for 399 and not 199

stuck_out_tongue

I think there will be ways to get it unlocked stuck_out_tongue
I remember Sprint having some offer for Unlocked Essential Phone and every one got it unlocked. That was a very big deal (Effective price was less than 10k)

Edit: The offer was “Sprint Essential Phone $5/M with Flex Lease $5”

Missing
Deal Cadet
224
566
18
Expand
getready wrote:

I think there will be ways to get it unlocked stuck_out_tongue
I remember Sprint having some offer for Unlocked Essential Phone and every one got it unlocked. That was a very big deal (Effective price was less than 10k)

i think the phone will come unlocked. you’ll need to activate it on sprint while purchasing it on bestbuy. that should be the main concern not the unlocking part.

to activate a new line/use existing line you will have to shell out money/documents to be a subscriber on sprint network.

Missing
Deal Major
7,080
23570
292
Expand
newuser wrote:

i think the phone will come unlocked. you’ll need to activate it on sprint while purchasing it on bestbuy. that should be the main concern not the unlocking part.

to activate a new line/use existing line you will have to shell out money/documents to be a subscriber on sprint network.

You can cancel the line by paying in full for 24 months and that’s what looters with that flex lease deal
24*5$ = 120$
Not exactly sure about this deal terms

Missing
suspended
116
959
21

@getready @newuser tell one thing that if we buy this phone at $199 today with “activate today” option and then for today only we insert sprint sim in it and then remove after 2-3 days then it will remains unlocked and will work with any indian mobile network or how exactly this works? Pls tell

Missing
Deal Major
7,080
23570
292
harshit1204 wrote:

@getready @newuser tell one thing that if we buy this phone at $199 today with “activate today” option and then for today only we insert sprint sim in it and then remove after 2-3 days then it will remains unlocked and will work with any indian mobile network or how exactly this works? Pls tell

Insert sim – your sim gets locked to Sprint AFAIK

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
501
4083
48

Buy a one plus 6t . avoid unnecessary tensions.

Missing
Deal Cadet
224
566
18
Expand
getready wrote:

Insert sim – your sim gets locked to Sprint AFAIK

yes that’s a possibility, as soon as you activate it , it might get locked to that carrier.

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
322
6
nimod wrote:

You should avoid.
4G bands are different in USA and India.
Moverover, we are mostly on VoLTE now, Not sure if US phones work with VoLTE.

I have samsung Galaxy s8 US model(G950U1). Nope VoLTE Isn’t working. @nitin_0018

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
322
6
Expand
getready wrote:

Try to install Indian CSC

You can’t install india csc in US model S8 snapdragon 835.

Missing