Hot Deal

Bata showroom fined Rs 9,000 for forcing customer to pay Rs 3 for carry bag

429°
Deal Lieutenant
Common-man

Bata showroom fined Rs 9,000 for forcing customer to pay Rs 3 for carry bag

A showroom of Bata in Chandigarh was recently fined Rs 9,000 by a consumer court after it forced one of its customers to pay Rs 3 for a carry bag.

Dinesh Prasad had gone to the said Bata showroom in Sector 22 in February for certain purchases. At the billing counter, he was told that he would have to pay Rs 3 in addition to the bill for the items purchased, for a carry bag. While at the time, Prasad ended up paying the extra amount for the carry bag, he approached the city’s Consumer Forum and lodged a complaint.

A consumer court eventually ruled in Prasad’s favour and directed the Bata showroom against which the complaint was filed to not only return Rs 3 charged from Prasad but also compensate him for his troubles and legal fees. In addition, the court ordered the showroom to ensure that free carry bags are provided to all customers henceforth.

Senior advocate Pankaj Chandgothiya told that despite consumer courts being very strict when dealing with such issues, a number of big brands in the country continue to look at making a quick buck by charging for carry bags. While many customers opt to pay considering that the charge is quite nominal, brands and their respective showrooms are not permitted to levy any additional charge for bags.

Chandgothiya also said that in this particular instance, the Bata showroom had argued that it is committed to saving the environment and the paper bag given to Prasad was expensive. The argument was shot down by the consumer court which directed it to pay Rs 3,000 for Prasad’s troubles, Rs 1,000 to cover his legal cost and Rs 5,000 to the Consumer Forum’s Legal and Accounting wing. It also said that brands put their logos on carry bags and yet charge customers for what essentially is an advertisement for the brand.

37 Comments  |  
16 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

Bigbazaar also charges for poly-bags.. should we complain for that also?

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

confusing…earlier there was an order to mandatorily charge for carry bags

View 3 more replies
Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied

Last week, More supermarket Orbit Plaza, Ghaziabad, charged me 40₹ for simple sa jute bag. I argued with them for 5 minutes then had to carry it 😞😥

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

amazon sey order kartey ek cardboard box free mey milta

View 3 more replies
Pro Community Angel Pro Community Angel
Link Copied

BTW as per most experts this would go against consumer interests as an increased charge on stores (even if its a minute one) would mean a manifold increase in product prices, its wrong if the store denies the customer to carry his/her own carry bag inside and thats punishable, but asking stores to give a free one is incorrect i think

Link Copied

Stores have to provide alternative for the customer to carry products they gave purchased from them.
Charging for carry bags with there logos or names printed on it, is not acceptable.

View 10 more replies
Link Copied

Stores don’t expect us to bring bags ,

they are just damn sure that they can   earn  extra by this .

Generous Generous
Link Copied

He went to court for a paltry 3rs (which is not a scam or a steal comparitively) while most big outlets charge 20-50rs per bag laughing

Link Copied

Yes he went court for Rs.3 , and many people don’t give a damn if charged Rs.20 – 50 ,on the contrary they feel pride in it , and the oulets cashon because of this type.

Different thought process.

View 1 more reply
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

Big Bazaar also does same.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

At our local big bazaar,d mart ,…. We don’t need to purchase plastic bags compulsory …
Some options below …

1) we carry our own cotten-made bags . Keep that outside , and use that after payment checkout.
2) if no bags with us if things are lesser in quantity , can easily carried in car without any bags .
3) if still want to purchase ,its your choice .

And as i believe this method is best . No need to decrease any rates . And that’s illogical that person who can purchase a 1500+ shoes can’t afford 20+ bag .

And  if matter is of rights , then your whole life will be gone with fighting with society in india

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied

This is a major problem and I have seen this with my own eyes.. I never thought much of it before but when they were cleaning the spillway, I mean this is like a river, they had to bring in a crane to get rid of the plastic bags. In the west people use trash bins and such not here. Actually anyone see you throw trash and such can complain to the police who will show up in 5 minutes and fine you for littering.

Plastic bags are the primary cause of blocked drains. I mean the entire train station up to your neck was under water.. After banning plastic bags things calmed down a bit but I still see shops giving plastic bags now that the police are not looking. The loss from people not caring and throwing out the bags after use is staggering. You had to wade through water upto your waist for over a week to get to the main bus stand. Imagine that..

Most people don’t care about the money they pay for the bags and still use them for waste disposal.. instead of reusing it. I think when ever I have gone to reliance, I AM THE ONLY ONE in the entire shop who is carrying old bags with me, in all these years I never seen anyone else except a couple of old or poor people with their own bags.. And the stop is FULL always..

The culture here really needs to change. They think it is below them to reuse bags or do any work. Like the caretaker and such think I am crazy to wash my own car.. To me the guy standing around making others wash his car is low life.. I have known very rich people who all did their own work. Here you don’t work to show you rich and above others. Like who gives a damn? The show culture needs to change into taking responsibility to the do culture. They have no place to bury all these waste..

View 5 more replies
Link Copied

Bata stopped charging customers for bags.
Thanks to internet sensation stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye

Link Copied

People are talking about it in malls .

replyuser
Click here to reply