Covid is mild disease, don't panic: AIIMS chief

283°
Deal Captain
211
10825
126

Covid is mild disease, don’t panic: AIIMS chief

According to the AIIMS Director, there are 10-15 per cent of people who may witness severe infection and may need extra medicines like Remdesivir, oxygen or plasma.

Covid-19 is a mild disease and there is no need to panic, said AIIMS Director Dr Randeep Guleria on Sunday while addressing issues related to coronavirus with Chairman of Medanta Dr Naresh Trehan, Professor and Head of Department of Medicine AIIMS Dr Naveet Wig and Director General Health Services Dr Sunil Kumar.

“If we talk about the current situation of COVID-19, there is panic in public, Due to this panic, people are putting injections in their houses, hoarding of the Remdesivir drug and oxygen cylinder has started with this. And because of this, we are facing a shortage of supply and unnecessary panic is being created,” Mr Guleria said.

https://www.ndtv.com/india-news/no-need-to-pani...

31 Comments  |  
21 Dimers
  • Sort By
50
359
6

and since Hydroxychloroquine was too long and multi syllable name, and ours being a mostly illiterate country
this year we used Remdesivir as the chosen line of treatment, because of its slightly easier to pronounce name.

it certainly is not like we are caught totally off-guard and are fuc|<ing clueless on how to deal with this mild disease.

we have got an excellent grip on it and next year we will use Roko®/Imodium® as possible line of treatment, because those are even shorter names and easier to pronounce.

24
38576
591
srini1973 wrote:

Then why so many people dying.

We have a humongous population, the deaths might come negligible in front of that, the fear is being spread just to make people aware, because we tend to be too lax without that
The numbers might sound too less, but only someone who loses a near and dear one would ever understand what it means, so always take care, and try not to get infected at first smile

100
8702
86

Koi bhi, kuchh bhi, kabhi bhi… sad toungueout

152
2405
8
Expand
androgame wrote:

We have a humongous population, the deaths might come negligible in front of that, the fear is being spread just to make people aware, because we tend to be too lax without that
The numbers might sound too less, but only someone who loses a near and dear one would ever understand what it means, so always take care, and try not to get infected at first smile

People are not taking vaccine.

So now this fear is created so that under fear people rush to take the vaccines.
P. S – i am not anti vaxer.. But so much fear over corona which has over 99 % survival rate is unwarranted.

24
38576
591
Expand
Bk100 wrote:

People are not taking vaccine.

So now this fear is created so that under fear people rush to take the vaccines.
P. S – i am not anti vaxer.. But so much fear over corona which has over 99 % survival rate is unwarranted.

That’s true, but we don’t have enough vaccines to even tackle the rush + crowds gathering even at vaccination centers.
Out system is hopeless, but no point in blaming them too

50
7593
15
Expand
Bk100 wrote:

People are not taking vaccine.

So now this fear is created so that under fear people rush to take the vaccines.
P. S – i am not anti vaxer.. But so much fear over corona which has over 99 % survival rate is unwarranted.

No one is creating fear. Get your info right. I guess none of your well known is in serious condition due to this ( and I pray the same) and who do you think is benefitting from such fear

81
373
4
Expand
Bk100 wrote:

People are not taking vaccine.

So now this fear is created so that under fear people rush to take the vaccines.
P. S – i am not anti vaxer.. But so much fear over corona which has over 99 % survival rate is unwarranted.

Covid damages lungs and other internal organs even if u have recovered successfully

152
2405
8
Expand
Sidhu634 wrote:

No one is creating fear. Get your info right. I guess none of your well known is in serious condition due to this ( and I pray the same) and who do you think is benefitting from such fear

Medicine companies.. Who else?

67
540
4

Covid is mild disease, don’t panic: AIIMS chief

Yes and so is Mia Khalifa a virgin

20,433
124580
1601
Expand
Bk100 wrote:

Medicine companies.. Who else?

pharma, medical instrument companies , govt, private hospitals , foreign countries n many directly n indirectly

152
2405
8
Expand
rajrocks wrote:

govt n private hospitals

Lot of beneficiaries.

Losers are daily wage earners – small businesses and small vendors.

20,433
124580
1601
Expand
Bk100 wrote:

Lot of beneficiaries.

Losers are daily wage earners – small businesses and small vendors.

yes

106
1956
18
SastaRaju wrote:

Covid is mild disease, don’t panic: AIIMS chief

Yes and so is Mia Khalifa a virgin

What the headline mentioned vs what he meant →

According to the AIIMS Director, there are 10-15 per cent of people who may witness severe infection and may need extra medicines like Remdesivir, oxygen or plasma. Less than five per cent of patients need to be operated on a ventilator, he informed.

“If we see this data, it shows that there is no need to panic. If one gets a positive report, he/she shouldn’t rush to the hospital or get medical oxygen. It’s a wrong belief and it will create an unnecessary shortage of oxygen. We need to understand that it is a mild disease and only 10 to 15 per cent cases get severe,” he added.

51
485
1
srini1973 wrote:

Then why so many people dying.

I think Covid is only killing those who already had a very weak immune system. Death rate isn’t great compared to normal death rate.
The real damage is economy and we’ll see covid tax or increased taxes after this wave ends.

I say increase taxes to > 50% for super rich like Ambani, Adani etc without letting them increase their product/services cost for public. Better still double taxes on products used by celebrities, super rich. sunglasses

504
30170
328
Expand
igen wrote:

What the headline mentioned vs what he meant →

According to the AIIMS Director, there are 10-15 per cent of people who may witness severe infection and may need extra medicines like Remdesivir, oxygen or plasma. Less than five per cent of patients need to be operated on a ventilator, he informed.

“If we see this data, it shows that there is no need to panic. If one gets a positive report, he/she shouldn’t rush to the hospital or get medical oxygen. It’s a wrong belief and it will create an unnecessary shortage of oxygen. We need to understand that it is a mild disease and only 10 to 15 per cent cases get severe,” he added.

Bad choice of words by both AIIMS director & Media
He shouldn’t have started saying that COVID is a mild disease and continue the video conference with this “only 10-15% might get seriously infected”. 10-15% is too much, people might even start to hoard more :/
It would’ve been better if he talked about the 10-15% people… the age groups, co-morbidities & ..
His intentions seem to be genuine (to reduce unnecessary hoarding of medicines and medical oxygen.. but presented it in a wrong way (happens i guess, during video calls)
https://twitter.com/ANI/status/1386288047419...16

2,110
8804
84
Moderator
Expand
igen wrote:

What the headline mentioned vs what he meant →

According to the AIIMS Director, there are 10-15 per cent of people who may witness severe infection and may need extra medicines like Remdesivir, oxygen or plasma. Less than five per cent of patients need to be operated on a ventilator, he informed.

“If we see this data, it shows that there is no need to panic. If one gets a positive report, he/she shouldn’t rush to the hospital or get medical oxygen. It’s a wrong belief and it will create an unnecessary shortage of oxygen. We need to understand that it is a mild disease and only 10 to 15 per cent cases get severe,” he added.

Interesting, isn’t it?

The head of the nation alongwith big media houses run the “horror” show that ultimately creates panic at the first place and the head of the medical institutions trying to pacify that in such *wrong ways.

This has literally become a joke now!

174
783
23
srini1973 wrote:

Then why so many people dying.

People die every day normally too,
you need to compare the death rates with other disease and normal rates
How many people die every day in India, stats are available since 2011
compare them with the present situation, you will find out, overall last year lesser people died even with a pandemic

83
3328
48

Mild disease, don’t fear. Okay. And in same speech it’s said 10 to 15% may be serious. So we need to learn simple arithmetics now then eh?

211
10825
126
Expand
hsmhsm wrote:

I think Covid is only killing those who already had a very weak immune system. Death rate isn’t great compared to normal death rate.
The real damage is economy and we’ll see covid tax or increased taxes after this wave ends.

I say increase taxes to > 50% for super rich like Ambani, Adani etc without letting them increase their product/services cost for public. Better still double taxes on products used by celebrities, super rich. sunglasses

anil ambani already declared himself broke and bankrupt

adani is going on hiking prices of his cooking oil brand

183
235
5

I just want to point out one thing the total population of India is 130 crore .

And in current scenario according to official data the fatality rate is 1.2 % (Though most of states were reporting under value just to hide the fact that the healthcare system is close to collapse.)
And that
1 percent of 3 crore is 3 lakh.

1 percent of 30 crore is 30 lakh.

Now once again go through what AIIMS chief had said about covid -19 and decide.

83
3328
48

Lol yes. And while rounding off keep it to the nearest true value i.e. 140 crores not 130. But in India 10 crores is probably just a month’s gain or something. Even more severe than the virus is our population and I love how there’s no initiative to do something about it.

106
1956
18
Expand
hsmhsm wrote:

I think Covid is only killing those who already had a very weak immune system. Death rate isn’t great compared to normal death rate.
The real damage is economy and we’ll see covid tax or increased taxes after this wave ends.

I say increase taxes to > 50% for super rich like Ambani, Adani etc without letting them increase their product/services cost for public. Better still double taxes on products used by celebrities, super rich. sunglasses

Economics especially in partially free markets like India doesnt work like that.

50
359
6
Expand
jeff_bezos_amazon_owner wrote:

Covid damages lungs and other internal organs even if u have recovered successfully

it is our own immune system that turns agsinst us. frankly, not entirely its mistake either. if zombies are created or good guys start showing markers of good guys, then immune system simply turns it into a U.S. of A type school shooting (whatever comes in sight: maar dou)
and although i am a dumb person and do not have a medicine background, i think that some epithelial cells getting damaged or misproduction of platelets, dilation of blood vessels, tissue damage/ scarring are the likey fallouts.
and ancillary damage from those can be irreversible
thankfully i have kept myself cut-off from knowing much about SARS-Cov-02 related stuff to such an extent that my understanding of it is as negligible as my understanding of cricket.

but then, 😔 my super senior citizen uncle (father’s brother) had brain stroke😔 and i recollected at-least two of the points.
the one about blood clots (clots that csn travel anywhere and everywhere through dilated passageways or change in blood-pressure) and the other about (likely) permanent, irreversible tissue damage (to structures, organs that are vital).

there is another video i saw, about how and why blood clots form and travel through the body, but that video link i am unable to immediately locate.
but the 🤗Kurzgesagt🤗 one is

51
485
1
Expand
igen wrote:

Economics especially in partially free markets like India doesnt work like that.

There are no clear lines of demarcation because everything is evolving.
Experts and their theories become outdated with time.

It all depends on the will of politicians and public at large.
It’s easier in India because we are ‘mixed economy’.

Missing