Do you know if, all Credit Card companies charge their clients Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees for international online payment?

143°
Deal Subedar
50
1022
5

Do you know if, all Credit Card companies charge their clients Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees for international online payment?

17 Comments  |  
10 Dimers
  • Sort By
358
4412
41

For HDFC CC, YES

50
1022
5
Nationalist wrote:

For HDFC CC, YES

Has these Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees been there for long time, or is this a new development?

221
4444
28
Expand
teriab33 wrote:

Has these Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees been there for long time, or is this a new development?

From quite a long time.

144
1387
7

Nearly all Credit Cards have forex fees, approximately 2-4% in general…. Yes First Exclusive CC is having one of the lowest, 1.75%; OneCard (IDFC powered CC) is also having the lowest as 1% (was 0% when it was originally launched).
As far as pre-paid cards are concerned; there are a couple of pre-paid cards like Niyo Global that have 0% forex.
And for Debit Card; Indusind Exclusive debit cards have 0% forex too,

50
675
4

I soemtime see payment option in rupeein foreign site will then there will be fees?

358
4412
41
Expand
teriab33 wrote:

Has these Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees been there for long time, or is this a new development?

No idea

78
194
1

In SBI Card, forex fee will appear after 3 or 4 days as a separate entry in the statement.
For IndusInd cards, I think it is included as part of currency exchange rate. No extra fee is added after the transaction.

413
10799
78

All chrgd

674
5342
57
demerius2020 wrote:

I soemtime see payment option in rupeein foreign site will then there will be fees?

It depends on what conversion rate foreign site is using, in many cases the conversion rate is costlier than paying directly in foreign currency via card+3.5% forex markup. That is why OneCard is an exception with its 1% forex markup charges when even top end cards of many bank charge at least 1.5-2% forex markup.

59
928
9

A few credit cards have high reward points so that their fx markup fee is more than covered by the value their reward points.

Only two (or three) credit cards of a high NRV bank accounts don’t have fx markup fee.

DCB Niyo card linked to your DCB savings account doesn’t have any Fx markup fee.

2 Indus debit cards don’t have fx markup fee.

Also, do note – Fx conversion RATE of Diners (is greater than) >RuPay/Discover >Amex > Visa > MasterCard – in that order. AND it is again different for different currencies!

548
12855
166
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

A few credit cards have high reward points so that their fx markup fee is more than covered by the value their reward points.

Only two (or three) credit cards of a high NRV bank accounts don’t have fx markup fee.

DCB Niyo card linked to your DCB savings account doesn’t have any Fx markup fee.

2 Indus debit cards don’t have fx markup fee.

Also, do note – Fx conversion RATE of Diners (is greater than) >RuPay/Discover >Amex > Visa > MasterCard – in that order. AND it is again different for different currencies!

RuPay/Discover credit cards dnt charge any Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees (dnt know about RuPay/Discover Debit cards)

but banks maybe charge 2%, 3%, 3.5% or 4% Currency Conversion Fees.

59
928
9
Expand
abhishek012 wrote:

RuPay/Discover credit cards dnt charge any Foreign Currency Mark Up Fees (dnt know about RuPay/Discover Debit cards)

but banks maybe charge 2%, 3%, 3.5% or 4% Currency Conversion Fees.

So those Fx charges on using my RuPay are charged by bank? How do i know the actual rate of conversion done there?

548
12855
166
Expand
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

So those Fx charges on using my RuPay are charged by bank? How do i know the actual rate of conversion done there?

No idea, last year one person told me he used Canara bank RuPay Credit card in Spain and other European countries.

He told me, he simply search on google currency exchange rate website and same amount was debited from his Canara bank RuPay Credit card, no extra charges.

by d way Currency Conversion Fees already mentioned on all bank websites.

59
928
9
Expand
abhishek012 wrote:

by d way Currency Conversion Fees already mentioned on all bank websites.

I need to find RuPay conversion rates coz if Rupay isn’t charging them then the bank is but at what rate?

548
12855
166
Expand
Ramta_Jogi wrote:

I need to find RuPay conversion rates coz if Rupay isn’t charging them then the bank is but at what rate?

visit bank website for Currency Conversion Fees

59
928
9

@teriab33

I am updating my post and excluding RuPay for the time being: Fx conversion RATE of Diners (is greater than) >Amex > Visa > MasterCard.

Diners base conversion itself is around 0.70% more than MasterCard (tried & tested repeatedly).

Amex, Visa and Mastercard rate differential in negligible (10-20 paisa) till you are doing high value transactions. However, there is no card in Amex lineup which gives you less than 3.5% markup fee so that needs to be offset only by reward points.

Also, the only currency in which Visa gives you a better rate is Euro. Difference of Rs.50 per INR 100,000 spent. For all others, Mastercard is better (as of Feb, 2020).

Visa and MasterCard settle transactions as per the IST. Amex settles the transactions as per the EST/EDT time (true as of April, 2021) and IST is 9.5 hours ahead of EST/EDT. This would mean variation in conversion. Not sure about Diners.

Your day of transaction might be different from the day of settlement on part of merchant & that leads to conversion differential also.

Visa & MC have their conversion tools & calculators on site while Amex and Diners don’t.

Diners does have an App though as per its TnC of usage – Those rates are sourced from publicly available information and are not necessarily applicable to what Diners charges in Fx conversion. i found them to be marginally more than inter-bank rates. Again, this is only for reference while traveling/payment online.

Disclaimer: Forget all i mentioned above if you want to maintain your peace of mind.

674
5342
57

@Ramta_Jogi good post, kg+ pending(can’t give it currently).

Missing