Does using a higher amp micro usb charger destroy the device battery?

77°
Deal Newbie
noithatgoocc...

My spare jiofi device came with a 1A micro usb charger, and my phone uses a 2A micro usb charger.

I want to occasionally charge this jiofi device to not let the battery drain down completely.

Is it safe to use the 2A charger on the jiofi device, by using a higher amp charger will it affect the battery life?

10 Comments  |  
9 Dimers
  • Sort By
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

This is the same question I had posted few days back. Some has copied it and re-posted it again. What is going on here?

https://www.desidime.com/discussions/does-using...

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
…..Hahahah….people are getting lazy….copy paste job stuck_out_tongue
View 1 more reply
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

It reduces the battery life

Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

Ideally charging current should be 1/10th of battery capacity for maximum battery life

Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

Since 1500mah battery would be there. Better not to use 2amp charge. Use 1amp or less

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied

You can use a 10A charger if you want. It is the device that regulates how fast the bettery gets charged. Now a 5000mah battery charging from a 5v charger can charge it at 1C which means the battery is 3.7volts and 1A which equates to 3.7 watts.. So it will charge the battery to 100% or so in about 1.5 hours.. New phones charge faster than 1C but they regulate it so only like 20-80% of the charge is done faster while the rest is done slower..

Many terminologies here.. 1C means charge capacity v/s speed of charging which is in Amps.. You need special handling to charge faster.. Also batteries are not 5v but 3.7 volts..

The main problem with charging is, you can charge a battery upto 4.2volts without problems and get 90% capacity.. 4.3volts to get 95% and 4.4 volts to get 100% but at 4.4volts the battery can develop problems.. You can also overcharge the battery to get 110-120% capacity.. The higher voltage you charge the shorter its life.. Most everything will only charge a battery to 90-95% or even less.. power banks only do 80-85% because they want you to reuse it like 500 times..

Tech Guru Tech Guru
Link Copied

1C means unit of charge bro.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

It reduces the battery life

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Perfectly safe.

Supply (Charger brick is rated for 2A..it means it can supply current upto 2A at rated output voltage) ..compare it with any home powerplug. which is rated 230V 5A or similar

Consumer. JioFI will have its own internal resistance and will use only appropriate current at rated Volts. it wont use more even if you provide more current. voltage of the supply matters. Compare it with any appliance at home. it will consume only as per its rated current and not as per the rating of the plug you are using.

replyuser
Click here to reply