For new laptop purchased online, if we upgrade the RAM / hdd to ssd by our self, will the factory warranty get void?

181°
Deal Cadet
50
908
4

Any info on this?

25 Comments  |  
11 Dimers
  • Sort By
220
3994
27

The tnc changes across manufacturers. So better refer to the manufacturer’s fine print.

General rules:

  • Hard drive or RAM upgrade usually do not void warranty. Common sense says one cannot claim warranty on the upgraded part with the product(laptop) manufacturer.
  • If there is warranty seal on RAM/ harddrive or any part you intend to change or during the course of changing the no seal components, it voids the warranty if broken
  • Some manf like acer, microsoft, msi, samsung do not allow any part to be altered. If done, it voids the warranty
294
6811
72

While taking for service(in case of any issue) replace with original RAM or HDD
general T&C will always tell ‘no warranty’ if upgraded/changed so do the above

665
4667
53

For Acer it is true because they put stickers everywhere even inside the laptop & beneath screws so you just can’t open an acer laptop without breaking at least one warranty void sticker.

56
387
2

Depends upon manufacturers. Some manufacturers allows but some some especially big brands like dell, hp. You should read terms and conditions before modifying any hardware specs.

220
3994
27
Mufasa wrote:

Depends upon manufacturers. Some manufacturers allows but some some especially big brands like dell, hp. You should read terms and conditions before modifying any hardware specs.

Dell is ok with hardrive or RAM upgrade, infact encourages DIY. This is from experience back in 2014

50
341
2

I recently purchased a lenovo laptop and enquired with their so called “premium” Tech support twice, about upgrading ram at a lenovo exclusive store. 1 person said warranty doesn’t get void. The other person told any upgrades should be service centre only. Anyway, I upgraded ram at a lenovo exclusive store. Lenovo laptop came with a “lenovo vantage” App which detects all hardware. It detected the upgraded ram and the warranty didn’t change. @guest_999

203
2244
59
andromeda wrote:

The tnc changes across manufacturers. So better refer to the manufacturer’s fine print.

General rules:

  • Hard drive or RAM upgrade usually do not void warranty. Common sense says one cannot claim warranty on the upgraded part with the product(laptop) manufacturer.
  • If there is warranty seal on RAM/ harddrive or any part you intend to change or during the course of changing the no seal components, it voids the warranty if broken
  • Some manf like acer, microsoft, msi, samsung do not allow any part to be altered. If done, it voids the warranty

Acer allows your personal RAM/SSD upgrade from service center by paying approx Rs 500 charges. Warranty remains valid if upgraded from the service center.

@guest_999

665
4667
53
Expand
mas143forever wrote:

Acer allows your personal RAM/SSD upgrade from service center by paying approx Rs 500 charges. Warranty remains valid if upgraded from the service center.

@guest_999

Yes & that is common for all laptop manufacturers. Difference appears when it comes to upgrading outside of service centre either by yourself or at some local laptop shop. In that case it comes down to manufacturer’s policy & how well you/person can open & reclose the laptop without leaving any evidence(aka physical damage like scratch marks etc).

203
2244
59
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Yes & that is common for all laptop manufacturers. Difference appears when it comes to upgrading outside of service centre either by yourself or at some local laptop shop. In that case it comes down to manufacturer’s policy & how well you/person can open & reclose the laptop without leaving any evidence(aka physical damage like scratch marks etc).

Yes. And I dont think its worth risking a high value product like a laptop just to save few bucks. It is very difficult to remove and reapply their warranty stickers without signs of removal.
So best is to delay the upgrade till warranty period expires, or pay the charge and get it upgraded from the service center.

220
3994
27
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Yes & that is common for all laptop manufacturers. Difference appears when it comes to upgrading outside of service centre either by yourself or at some local laptop shop. In that case it comes down to manufacturer’s policy & how well you/person can open & reclose the laptop without leaving any evidence(aka physical damage like scratch marks etc).

Not common for all. Many allows atleast hdd and RAM upgrades without the need for service center. Dell even allows mother board replacement if the user knows. I did it for my own laptop and for my friend’s

665
4667
53
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Not common for all. Many allows atleast hdd and RAM upgrades without the need for service center. Dell even allows mother board replacement if the user knows. I did it for my own laptop and for my friend’s

Dell is an exception but if you see T&C of warranty for other brands you will notice many things. They use cryptic language with enough ambiguity left so it may come down to the service centre to accept or refuse the upgrade done by you/outside service centre in case of warranty claim especially if they are able to see any “physical signs” of upgrading.

220
3994
27
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Dell is an exception but if you see T&C of warranty for other brands you will notice many things. They use cryptic language with enough ambiguity left so it may come down to the service centre to accept or refuse the upgrade done by you/outside service centre in case of warranty claim especially if they are able to see any “physical signs” of upgrading.

I don’t recall, but there are few other brands as well which allows atleast the HDD and RAM upgrades by the end user. They do exempt the any other changes at the board level

665
4667
53
Expand
andromeda wrote:

I don’t recall, but there are few other brands as well which allows atleast the HDD and RAM upgrades by the end user. They do exempt the any other changes at the board level

Almost all laptops nowadays require their entire base panel to be removed along with keyboard too in many cases(mine same type) just to upgrade/access hdd slot. Who knows what delicate latch/clip/pin might get damaged if this is not done properly leaving behind some sign of physical damage etc.

31
1241
30

If you can dismantle and reassemble the laptop without the service center guys being able to figure out, you are good.

0
627
13
ontherocks wrote:

If you can dismantle and reassemble the laptop without the service center guys being able to figure out, you are good.

without breaking the seal? how?
What i did was i called customer support for fake problems then i bribed the onsite engineer 200rs and asked him to put ram and ssd inside. He did it. (acer)

665
4667
53
Expand
digyvijaykr wrote:

without breaking the seal? how?
What i did was i called customer support for fake problems then i bribed the onsite engineer 200rs and asked him to put ram and ssd inside. He did it. (acer)

Seal will be there in case of acer only, for other manufacturers it all depends on your/person’s skills.

50
341
2
Expand
mas143forever wrote:

Yes. And I dont think its worth risking a high value product like a laptop just to save few bucks. It is very difficult to remove and reapply their warranty stickers without signs of removal.
So best is to delay the upgrade till warranty period expires, or pay the charge and get it upgraded from the service center.

Was fair amount of money in my case. Lenovo service centre charging 7.1 K + 750 installation charges for 8 gb 3200 mhz ram here in Bangalore. Same Kingston ram for 4 K in Amazon /4.7 K locally with free installation.

203
2244
59
Expand
digyvijaykr wrote:

without breaking the seal? how?
What i did was i called customer support for fake problems then i bribed the onsite engineer 200rs and asked him to put ram and ssd inside. He did it. (acer)

Here is the most cost effective solution we were all looking for. Nicely done.

203
2244
59
Expand
smz wrote:

Was fair amount of money in my case. Lenovo service centre charging 7.1 K + 750 installation charges for 8 gb 3200 mhz ram here in Bangalore. Same Kingston ram for 4 K in Amazon /4.7 K locally with free installation.

You should be able to take your own RAM and give it to them to replace, for service charge only. If they are not allowing, better to wait out the warranty period, and then install yourself.

665
4667
53
Expand
smz wrote:

Was fair amount of money in my case. Lenovo service centre charging 7.1 K + 750 installation charges for 8 gb 3200 mhz ram here in Bangalore. Same Kingston ram for 4 K in Amazon /4.7 K locally with free installation.

As long as person opening the laptop is expert, it is easy to get any ram/ssd upgrade done for almost any lenovo laptop from outside shop. Only thing to notice is that in case of warranty issue make sure to remove/revert back any upgrade the same way before taking the laptop to service centre.

6
15144
137
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Dell is ok with hardrive or RAM upgrade, infact encourages DIY. This is from experience back in 2014

I believe MSI also allows. 🙂

220
3994
27
Expand
bikidas2060 wrote:

I believe MSI also allows. 🙂

I remember reading some fine print from MSI where it is mentioned not allowed. I could be wrong

6
15144
137
Expand
andromeda wrote:

I remember reading some fine print from MSI where it is mentioned not allowed. I could be wrong

Bhai then you must be right. 🙂🙂🙏

0
255
21

there is a small trick if you have onsite warranty, Register a complaint like network is not getting connected (even if it is connected), keypad keys not working anything where remote support is not possible, then when the company technician arrives in house (who are generally of some third party not OEM) tell them your requirement pay some bribe and that technician will do the job all documents will be taken care by him…… sunglasses

Missing