What do you miss the most?
Poll has expired, here are the final results
Hot Deal

Forgotten Forms of Communication from Yesteryears.........

358°
Hunk
bikidas2060

Postcards You just write down something on these yellow colored thick piece of sheet of paper (14 cm × 9 cm), attach the stamps and drop in the nearest postbox. The communication method is kind of open and anyone can literally read anyone’s words if given a chance. But there was a period of time, when people’s lives, hopes, emotions depended upon this sheet of paper.
https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/725226/medium/81101701638117634_0.jpg?1638117634
Source: https://www.outlookindia.com/outlooktraveller/e...
To know more about postcards visit https://www.indiapost.gov.in/MBE/Pages/Content/...

Inland Letters Blue colored letters, which also acted as an envelop with its unique design, gave some privacy to people who could afford them.
https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/725227/medium/8110170Inland-Letter-Writing-Format.jpg?1638117639
Source:https://www.aplustopper.com/inland-l...r/
To know more about inland letters visit this https://www.indiapost.gov.in/MBE/Pages/Content/...
These days we talk about UPI frauds and spam/scam mails n Whatsapp forwards. In those days we had postcards and inland letters. People sent letters like, “if you don’t send this letter to 100 different people then you will face wrath of god”. In postcards you didn’t even have to write your own address. Haha. A lot of people would not even pay for the postage stamps forcing the recipient to take care of that matter. 🐒

Telegram No, it is not the usual android app. It used to usually induce heart attacks, intense emotional outbreaks etc. The service has been stopped in India since 2003. (Source:https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/dot-dash...) Those were some days.


https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/725228/medium/8110170telegraph1-indiaink-superjumbo-647_071416124455.jpg?1638117641
Source: https://www.indiatoday.in/education-today/gk-cu...
Service providers charged per alphabet. So, people used abbreviations.

Telephone Tringgg…. Tringggg….
https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/725229/medium/8110170startechtel-mos_080115043412.jpg?1638117644
Source: https://www.indiatoday.in/india/story/landline-...
Landlines were very expensive back then. Only privileged people used to have them.

STD/PCO booths PCO (Public Call Office), STD booths were ubiquitous until arrival of cheap mobile phones. Trust me a lot of people earned their bread and butter from these services. You had to insert a coin to be able to talk to the person you needed to talk to.
https://cdn0.desidime.com/Placeholders/No-Image-Available.png
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telephone_numbers...

26 Comments  |  
16 Dimers
  • Sort By
Pro Entertainer Pro Entertainer
Link Copied

Kabootar (pigeon) bhool gaye biki bhai… sad toungueout

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Please add option for None.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
bikidas2060 wrote:

@malikcool @guest_999 @MrKool_JJ @Dastro @amdoinggood123 @andromeda @androgame @Sudarshan61 @ULYSSES @panchabhut

Nope no missing, only cherish those memories
Have used every option that is mentioned except for telegram. I’m still not using the telegram (android).

I still have a few post cards and inland covers which are written to my parents when I was away from them for my education

Gujarat Titans Gujarat Titans
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Nope no missing, only cherish those memories
Have used every option that is mentioned except for telegram. I’m still not using the telegram (android).

I still have a few post cards and inland covers which are written to my parents when I was away from them for my education

+1, my grandfather used to write letters to us, however was never able to understand the handwriting.
Other modes of communication were also , I would say , “hassle” filled.
So not missing anything as such.

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

Nothing

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

I think I may have used telephone booths a couple of times but I miss it even though I don’t remember it much.

I also miss inland letters. Only used it a few times and got a penpal. She is now a good friend. Miss it because reading those letters feels so amazing. The emotions were real and not like what we do on whatsapp.

Kolkata Knight Riders Kolkata Knight Riders
Link Copied

Thank god I at least was able to see Inlands and Post cards at their dying stage. Myself has written several post cards and sent out to some relatives back in mid 90s but never got the chance with Inland. Telegram was already dead by mid 90s I guess, so never got to experience that. Wired telephone though, that was some cutting age, ultra modern stuff when we first had ours. That BPL phone which is still here somewhere, probably will come handy if thieves ever break in. PCO booths are same as wired telephones, have used it many many times. Not possible to pick one really, all are nice but if I had to pick one I would go for Post card/ Inland as I prefer handwritten style of communication more but most definitely telephone it was which changed everything.

Everything was better before the age of stupid acronyms/initialisms anyway. I still write handwritten letters for formal purposes btw, instead of writing on PC and taking prints like mostly everyone does. And they make fun of me, but they never realised my
reciprocative pity.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Few years back while cleaning store room, I found 3 inland letters exchanged between my mother and father while he was away for job training during 2nd year of their marriage. There was a small mention of me in my mother’s letters but not in my father’s. smiley All that was in my father’s letter was ranting about how he missed my mother as she was still in her maternal house by highlighting the line that he was strugglling  for self cooking. 🤣

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

By mid 90s landlines were normal so never used anything mentioned above other than STD/PCO which reminds of 1 particular incident. In 12th class at hostel canteen, once made a PCO call to home and some students who made calls before and after me just left without paying the bills. So even I left unpaid. At the end of break time,  while passing the canteen I over heard the shop owner ranting that atleast 10+ idiots left without paying bills and his idea of redialing those numbers mentioning unpaid bills asking for students name and room numbers. This would get me scoldings from parents, so innocently went to shop again, bought some chocolates and gave extra money mentioning telephone bill and told him that there was so much rush so thought of paying later. He believed.

Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
ULYSSES wrote:

By mid 90s landlines were normal so never used anything mentioned above other than STD/PCO which reminds of 1 particular incident. In 12th class at hostel canteen, once made a PCO call to home and some students who made calls before and after me just left without paying the bills. So even I left unpaid. At the end of break time,  while passing the canteen I over heard the shop owner ranting that atleast 10+ idiots left without paying bills and his idea of redialing those numbers mentioning unpaid bills asking for students name and room numbers. This would get me scoldings from parents, so innocently went to shop again, bought some chocolates and gave extra money mentioning telephone bill and told him that there was so much rush so thought of paying later. He believed.

Good old days. 🙂🙂🙂

Critic Critic
Link Copied

I still have postcards and inland letters written by my father to me when I first joined a job 1500 km away from home. Also remember queuing up in front of the STD booth at 11 pm in Delhi’s January cold just to call home at 1/4th STD rates. Had also sent telegrams but never received one.

Blogger Blogger
Link Copied

where is

pager

fax

telegram

Critic Critic
Link Copied
rogerthat wrote:

where is

pager

fax

telegram

Pager and Telegram officially closed.
Fax is still functional but used by very few offices only.

Super Stud Super Stud
Link Copied
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

Pager and Telegram officially closed.
Fax is still functional but used by very few offices only.

Pager’s are still used in specific industries bro.
Recently also used in gangs of Wasseypur 🤣

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
xxxyyyzzz wrote:

Pager’s are still used in specific industries bro.
Recently also used in gangs of Wasseypur 🤣

Pagers are now only used by US health and firefighting and UK health service, with UK scheduled to shut down by end of 22.

Super Stud Super Stud
Link Copied
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

Pagers are now only used by US and UK health service, with UK scheduled to shut down by March 22.

Yup, I’d say still in use.

Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied
ithehappy wrote:

Thank god I at least was able to see Inlands and Post cards at their dying stage. Myself has written several post cards and sent out to some relatives back in mid 90s but never got the chance with Inland. Telegram was already dead by mid 90s I guess, so never got to experience that. Wired telephone though, that was some cutting age, ultra modern stuff when we first had ours. That BPL phone which is still here somewhere, probably will come handy if thieves ever break in. PCO booths are same as wired telephones, have used it many many times. Not possible to pick one really, all are nice but if I had to pick one I would go for Post card/ Inland as I prefer handwritten style of communication more but most definitely telephone it was which changed everything.

Everything was better before the age of stupid acronyms/initialisms anyway. I still write handwritten letters for formal purposes btw, instead of writing on PC and taking prints like mostly everyone does. And they make fun of me, but they never realised my
reciprocative pity.

Lol. Last line is the killer!
@bikidas2060 bro that postcard looks wow 🥰
Even tho @M.MAHI has said u tagged oldies and Im definitely not 🙃 im v upset with u for not tagging me in ur blog like post sad
Anyways there’s always a next time. +🔥

Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
Expand
pingpong wrote:

Lol. Last line is the killer!
@bikidas2060 bro that postcard looks wow 🥰
Even tho @M.MAHI has said u tagged oldies and Im definitely not 🙃 im v upset with u for not tagging me in ur blog like post sad
Anyways there’s always a next time. +🔥

Bhauuu, I will add you definitely  🙂🙂🙏

replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply