Hot Deal Ghee ( clarified Butter ) Are we consuming fake Products ? :O

622°
Missing
Deal Cadet
59
231
1

This post is regarding ghee which is considered as one of the most essential thing in Indian kitchen so today i went to the nearby kirana store and we had a little discussion about ghee and what he said made me worried i asked him which ghee is the best among the leading brands ( Amul, mother dairy, Britannia, patanjali) . He said all the brand have the same stuff and he said all the brands with in the range of 400 – 600 are not giving real ghee . then asked him what do you mean ? he said if you go to village and get real ghee it costs 1200 to 1700 per kg so it is impossible for these brands to give real ghee in 500 and then he gave his logic he said india is the biggest market for ghee and to meet the demand palm oil is mixed in the ghee then he said there are not enough cows to produce milk and then convert into ghee and according to him even the milk we are drinking is not real milk .

please give your opinions about this please

68 Comments  |  
35 Dimers
Missing
Deal Subedar
51
1049
6

Shopkeeper was correct…India produces less milk than it needs…
Better make ghee at home

Missing
Analyst
101
6353
175

WTH? In my ancestral village its available for Rs 600/kg. Little to no chance of adulteration as its used for religious purposes.
Edit : This was the price 2 years ago.

Missing
Community Angel
127
33427
549
LIMBO wrote:

WTH? In my ancestral village its available for Rs 600/kg. Little to no chance of adulteration as its used for religious purposes.
Edit : This was the price 2 years ago.

Religious reasons can’t always mean that the ghee is pure bro, in cities temples mostly use branded ghee (which by all means is “adulterated”)
For religious purpose, the main need is not the nutritional value of ghee but its purity in terms of no contact with humans before use

Missing
Community Angel
127
33427
549
suman1520 wrote:

Shopkeeper was correct…India produces less milk than it needs…
Better make ghee at home

True, the sad part is that this adulteration is completely legal, and done with guidelines from FSSAI, we are feeding our population hollow diet

Missing
Deal Cadet
127
166
6

Ghar ka ghee is the best! Good for health and great taste as well.

Missing
Community Angel
127
33427
549
Dealcharmer wrote:

@suman1520 so what are we consuming then ?

Found this from random search -
Synthetic milk is not milk but an artificial imitation of natural milk with a high degree of adulteration to increase the volume of milk and thereby the profit. Main components of synthetic milk are water, pulverized detergent or soap, sodium hydroxide, vegetable oil, salt and urea. Most of these components such as urea, neutralizers and detergents are very harmful to human health. Presently the preparation of synthetic milk is practiced at village level but it is steadily spreading to urban areas in various Indian states.

Missing
Deal Cadet
59
231
1
Expand
androgame wrote:

True, the sad part is that this adulteration is completely legal, and done with guidelines from FSSAI, we are feeding our population hollow diet

Then what should we do ? even if we make ghee at home whats the guarantee the milk used is real or fake ?

Missing
Community Angel
127
33427
549
Expand
Dealcharmer wrote:

Then what should we do ? even if we make ghee at home whats the guarantee the milk used is real or fake ?

If possible pet a cow, which is not a practical solution obviously
Or maybe start taking milk from local cremeries after personal inspection on their quality standards, many such businesses are coming up with USP of pure milk
Or move towards plant based milk, which is again non reasonable choice due to the price difference
Or else wait for some magical day when the authorities would wake

Missing
Deal Cadet
59
231
1
Expand
androgame wrote:

If possible pet a cow, which is not a practical solution obviously
Or maybe start taking milk from local cremeries after personal inspection on their quality standards, many such businesses are coming up with USP of pure milk
Or move towards plant based milk, which is again non reasonable choice due to the price difference
Or else wait for some magical day when the authorities would wake

Only Viable option is to go to a local milkman and tell him to milk the cow in front of me .

Missing
Deal Subedar
51
1049
6
Expand
androgame wrote:

True, the sad part is that this adulteration is completely legal, and done with guidelines from FSSAI, we are feeding our population hollow diet

So keep a control on your diet..and follow healthy lifestyle, do exercise to maintain fitness…as no one can avoid junk/adulterated/pesticide food

Missing
Deal Subedar
51
1049
6
Dealcharmer wrote:

@suman1520 so what are we consuming then ?

Home made ghee…I can upload the pictures also if you want…

Missing
Analyst
101
6353
175
Expand
androgame wrote:

Religious reasons can’t always mean that the ghee is pure bro, in cities temples mostly use branded ghee (which by all means is “adulterated”)
For religious purpose, the main need is not the nutritional value of ghee but its purity in terms of no contact with humans before use

Well at least in this particular instance its as pure as it gets. Own several heads of cattle, ghee is first and foremost for self-consumption. Any extra is sold off. Pretty conservative. This is true of many other families.
Milk sold in the cities is mostly stripped off its fat content. So higher amounts are needed for the same amount of ghee.

Missing
Deal Cadet
59
231
1

No Wonder Village people are stronger and well built compared to city and metro population.

Missing
Deal Cadet
92
656
6

Full cream milk packets are not that much adulterated. The curd prepared from full cream packets taste good. The ghee also good.
Standard and low fat milk packets are prepared using the milk powder. The curd will not taste good, and there wont be any ghee left in that curd.

Missing
Deal Subedar
4
1253
11

Amul is actually a group of diaries. One of them is in my city i have been there and seen at first hand that there was no mixing of oil or something like that.
Also the factory is always open for tourists to visit, maybe it is only limited to this factory so can’t say for all.

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
0
4240
59

I live in village.. here we make our own ghee.
People with excess or in need of money sell for 400/kg.
We never ever bought branded ghee.

Missing
Deal Subedar
796
1440
12
161508 wrote:

I live in village.. here we make our own ghee.
People with excess or in need of money sell for 400/kg.
We never ever bought branded ghee.

No way
How much litre milk will make 1kg ghee.
Calculate.
Its just not possible @ 400

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
0
4240
59
Expand
Common-man wrote:

No way
How much litre milk will make 1kg ghee.
Calculate.
Its just not possible @ 400

Come to village. I will show u.

Missing
Deal Subedar
796
1440
12

Firstly the cow milk we get is of hybrid quality. ( USELESS )

DESI GIR COWS or similar cows are now found in very little number as they give less milk and thus commercially not viable.

In villages also like dairy and everywhere Jersey cow has taken place for its commercial point of view.

The ghee and oil specially marketed in name of pooja items nowadays is poison and highly adultered .
Not to mention , even animal fat and the greasy fat from dead animal bones is extracted by boiling process and mixed in them.

Missing
Deal Subedar
796
1440
12
Expand
161508 wrote:

Come to village. I will show u.

You didnt answer how much litre milk = 1kg ghee.

It takes 20 litres to 40 litres milk to make 1 kg ghee.
If i assume Rs 25 for 1 litre milk for 20 litre = Rs500.
Then add your labour.
Say even you earned money from by product , still its not viable to sell at your rate

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
0
4240
59
Expand
Common-man wrote:

You didnt answer how much litre milk = 1kg ghee.

It takes 20 litres to 40 litres milk to make 1 kg ghee.
If i assume Rs 25 for 1 litre milk for 20 litre = Rs500.
Then add your labour.
Say even you earned money from by product , still its not viable to sell at your rate

Why to argue with you?
You don’t believe.? Fine… I’m not at any loss.

Missing
Deal Subedar
796
1440
12
Expand
161508 wrote:

Why to argue with you?
You don’t believe.? Fine… I’m not at any loss.

I am not arguing  dear  neither  interested,  just saying its not possible commercially.

Missing
Deal Subedar
843
2097
18
Expand
Common-man wrote:

You didnt answer how much litre milk = 1kg ghee.

It takes 20 litres to 40 litres milk to make 1 kg ghee.
If i assume Rs 25 for 1 litre milk for 20 litre = Rs500.
Then add your labour.
Say even you earned money from by product , still its not viable to sell at your rate

@161508 bro is right… I personally purchase 1 Ltr milk directly from milkman. We use half of it for Curd & consume it & use cream for preparing Ghee. In 1 month ghee will be around 1kg, not measured exactly though.
You consume milk, ghee, buttermilk etc. Ghee will be made using just the byproduct (cream). So there is no any loss in selling at 400. If you compare it with market price, it looks like loss, but actually not…..

Missing
Pro DealHunter
5,967
39663
323

Don’t Use Patanjali , Jhatu in Taste & Quality smile

Missing
Critic
373
3653
48
Expand
Common-man wrote:

No way
How much litre milk will make 1kg ghee.
Calculate.
Its just not possible @ 400

most people at home does not use milk directly to make ghee
what they do is boil the milk, let it cool, then skim the top cream, collect it and make ghee from that. the remaining liquid part of the milk is consumed as usual.
thats how my mother used to make ghee and I have also made it several times.

but then, the question is, is ghee really required as part of our daily diet? instead of using ghee while cooking, cooking can be done in oil and only after the cooking is complete, a small amount of ghee can be lightly sprinkled to get the aroma and flavour. that way a small quantity of ghee serves the purpose and that much can be made at home itself.

Missing
Deal Subedar
26
1558
26

Nandini from Karnataka is the best brand for ghee.

Missing
Deal Subedar
796
1440
12

Aree bhai i am talking about commercial viability.

Not about if someone is making 1/2 kg or 1Kg ghee and selling for Rs. 400 or Rs 200 Or giving it out as free. Please do read the topic of the thread and my comment also.

What someone is doing at home etc etc is not the concern here.

Missing
Analyst
101
6353
175
G-Gowda wrote:

Nandini from Karnataka is the best brand for ghee.

While I can’t say whether better brands exist elsewhere but undoubtedly its very good. But the quality of the milk w.r.t. its fat content keeps going down unfortunately.

Missing
Cdl 20 floting