Help me to buy an SSD

168°
Missing
Deal Newbie
52
49
1

Hello Dimers,
I need a SSD for my lap. Its hard disk will fail any time. After alot of Research i found that SSD with DRAM is the good thing. I recently got an offer on Kingston 256GB KC600 SATA 3 2.5" Internal SSD (SKC600/256G) for Rs.2900.
Is it worth it? or should I wait for the upcoming sale?? i am totally confused. Kinldy share your suggestions

33 Comments  |  
21 Dimers
Missing
Critic
23
1881
42

Ssd with dram? I don’t know about that lol. The main difference between ssds is whether it’s SATA based or nvme drives which are pci-e based. The former is older tech, slower but still more than fast enough for day to day usage. If you just want a basic drive then go for them Kingston or Crucial entry level drives. If you want it for advanced usage then opt for nvme drives. At 3k range you will get 250 gigs drives anyway. Check onlyssd.com whether they still offering better prices than amazon or MD or not.

Missing
Deal Cadet
76
272
4

It’s a great deal for 2900.

2 days ago, bought an SSD without DRAM, Kingston A400 for 2700.

Go for it. Btw, is it a new one?

Missing
Deal Newbie
52
49
1
moriarty wrote:

It’s a great deal for 2900.

2 days ago, bought an SSD without DRAM, Kingston A400 for 2700.

Go for it. Btw, is it a new one?

Yes, brand new

Missing
Deal Newbie
52
49
1
ithehappy wrote:

Ssd with dram? I don’t know about that lol. The main difference between ssds is whether it’s SATA based or nvme drives which are pci-e based. The former is older tech, slower but still more than fast enough for day to day usage. If you just want a basic drive then go for them Kingston or Crucial entry level drives. If you want it for advanced usage then opt for nvme drives. At 3k range you will get 250 gigs drives anyway. Check onlyssd.com whether they still offering better prices than amazon or MD or not.

my system does not support nvme.
well there are several models like in crucial MX500 and BX500 , MX500 will cost more than BX500. because it have a DRAM.

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
20
0

You Can Go With It Without Any issue.WD Green Or A400 Or Bx500 are Covered with 3 Years Warranty & TBW Of 80Tb For 240 Gb Model Where KC600 Has 150 TBW (Almost Double) have DRam and Will Give 5 years Warranty.

Missing
Deal Newbie
88
89
1

crucial MX500 is budget friendly and highly recommended but if speed is question than Samsung EVO is the best.

Missing
Analyst
101
6353
175
Expand
iamnasif wrote:

my system does not support nvme.
well there are several models like in crucial MX500 and BX500 , MX500 will cost more than BX500. because it have a DRAM.

More importantly MX500 has 3D TLC NAND flashwhereas BX500 has the far slower QLC flash. Once the small pseudo SLC cache (TLC/QLC operating in SLC mode) is used up the differences between the two is laid bare, TLC can sustain Seq. Writes at 300MB/s whereas QLC drops to as low as 80MB/s slower than mech. HDDs. Only the largest capacities can get upto 150MB/s.
If the price differential between the two isn’t too large always prefer TLC.
Also SATA is good enough for most purposes even for gaming. Of course with the launch of the next gen. consoles, in the coming years NVMe will pull away as devs optimize their code to take advantage of SSDs and modern APIs.

Missing
Critic
335
1698
28
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

More importantly MX500 has 3D TLC NAND flashwhereas BX500 has the far slower QLC flash. Once the small pseudo SLC cache (TLC/QLC operating in SLC mode) is used up the differences between the two is laid bare, TLC can sustain Seq. Writes at 300MB/s whereas QLC drops to as low as 80MB/s slower than mech. HDDs. Only the largest capacities can get upto 150MB/s.
If the price differential between the two isn’t too large always prefer TLC.
Also SATA is good enough for most purposes even for gaming. Of course with the launch of the next gen. consoles, in the coming years NVMe will pull away as devs optimize their code to take advantage of SSDs and modern APIs.

This happens when there is large amount of sequential data being transferred(say 4gb+ file) but I can tell you that you won’t even be able to achieve 80MB/s on a typical 5900rpm desktop hdd/5400rpm laptop hdd which is more than half filled. Furthermore a typical user see biggest benefit in the form of huge increase in random 4k read write speeds which even for worst dram-less ssd is ~23-25 times faster than a typical hdd & it is these speeds that matters most for overall system performance. The point is that even a typical dram-less ssd like kingston A400 is many times better than any hdd.

Missing
Deal Cadet
50
200
4

I have mx500 for last 2 years and mx300, using for 4 years. One of best drives after samsung. Do go with drive containing dRam if you are using it as primary drive. Boot time now 20/seconds from earlier 3 mins with hard drive.

Missing
Deal Cadet
50
221
3

Yes, SSDs with dram are usually better than the dramless. Also, they comes with higher warranty period compared to dramless SSDs.

It all comes down to your budget and the purpose of the SSD. I would have suggested to go with Crucial MX500 instead of Kingston KC600 if both were sold at same price. But then Mx500 is being sold at 4.1K on Amazon currently and 2.9K is a sweet deal for a dram SSD. Just make sure, it’s new sealed packed piece from where you are getting it.

For more brief comparison, refer this video :- htt.../m.

Missing
Deal Newbie
52
49
1
INFJ wrote:

Yes, SSDs with dram are usually better than the dramless. Also, they comes with higher warranty period compared to dramless SSDs.

It all comes down to your budget and the purpose of the SSD. I would have suggested to go with Crucial MX500 instead of Kingston KC600 if both were sold at same price. But then Mx500 is being sold at 4.1K on Amazon currently and 2.9K is a sweet deal for a dram SSD. Just make sure, it’s new sealed packed piece from where you are getting it.

For more brief comparison, refer this video :- htt.../m.

yah Crucial MX500 is the best, but there is a 1k price difference with Kingstone KC600… I think its a good deal.

Missing
Deal Cadet
50
116
1

Don’t let all the above fancy mumbo jumbo bother you, go for any SSD, it will fast as hell compared to a standard HDD in your laptop

DRAM/QLC/NAND, as an end user., you’re not going to notice a significant difference unless you do regular copy/move of large number of files in huge volume size.

Regarding pricing, here’s my calculation 10/- per GB, if you get a price below that, you’ve got yourself a deal. Look for sites which offer 10% off, and then pick a SSD from them. Any SSD will do, in terms of reliability, the technology itself is very reliable, so get any one and enjoy your speed: )

Missing
Tech Guru
325
3897
51

My brain storage becomes full by just reading all comments regarding just about an SSD flushed smile

Missing
Deal Cadet
75
151
1

Got skc600 @ ₹2700 approx from tatacliq last month. Now prices dropped from 3500 to 3100.

Missing
Analyst
84
4442
157

LOL we are discussing which is better SSD. But ignored if the laptop would support the fancy tech stuff.

Just 2 weeks back upgraded 2 netbook. One was compatible to ssd and another older one not.

Missing
Deal Cadet
57
216
2

How to check whether our laptop supports ssd or not? May be a dumb question confused

Missing
Blogger
0
2055
55
Andhra_Abbayi wrote:

How to check whether our laptop supports ssd or not? May be a dumb question confused

Sata based SSD has same connection point as of hdd
so except nvme all SSD are compatible with laptop or pc

Missing
Deal Cadet
57
216
2
Expand
rogerthat wrote:

Sata based SSD has same connection point as of hdd
so except nvme all SSD are compatible with laptop or pc

Thanks bro!

Missing
Deal Subedar
70
1825
18
dharmanath481 wrote:

LOL we are discussing which is better SSD. But ignored if the laptop would support the fancy tech stuff.

Just 2 weeks back upgraded 2 netbook. One was compatible to ssd and another older one not.

Compatible? As in? Can’t we just install SSD in place of HDD? Are you saying about extra slot?

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
20
0

Kingston KC600 is available for Rs. 2870 and Crucial is available for Rs. 2284, Which one is better?
Want to install it on my Lenovo G50-80 laptop.

Missing
Analyst
84
4442
157
Expand
Chandler_Bing wrote:

Compatible? As in? Can’t we just install SSD in place of HDD? Are you saying about extra slot?

No the connector might be same but sata has versions. Current is sata 3. Which is backward compatible to sata2 but not sata 1.

So have to check laptop model first from tomshardware.com

Missing
Tech Guru
222
19356
188

If you want with SSD with RAM, WD blue or Samsung Evo.

If you copy/paste less or occasionally, stick with cheap SSD.

Missing
Critic
335
1698
28
Expand
dharmanath481 wrote:

No the connector might be same but sata has versions. Current is sata 3. Which is backward compatible to sata2 but not sata 1.

So have to check laptop model first from tomshardware.com

Sata is backward compatible, no issue with using sata 3 device on sata 1 port except reduced speeds.

Missing
Critic
335
1698
28
Original wrote:

If you want with SSD with RAM, WD blue or Samsung Evo.

If you copy/paste less or occasionally, stick with cheap SSD.

Only WD Blue worth buying is WD Blue SN550 which is NVMe & even though it is dram-less NVME it matches the performance of dram NVME kingston A2000. For DRAM ssd best options are samsung evo & crucial MX500.

Missing
Tech Guru
222
19356
188
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Only WD Blue worth buying is WD Blue SN550 which is NVMe & even though it is dram-less NVME it matches the performance of dram NVME kingston A2000. For DRAM ssd best options are samsung evo & crucial MX500.

NVMe is way faster but not every Laptop MB would support it.

Missing