Help Me with Buying a Door Lock

118°
Missing
Deal Subedar
26
2056
27

Hi guys. I want to purchase a good lock for the main door.

So, please help me find something online or give some inputs to help me choose.

22 Comments  |  
14 Dimers
Missing
Deal Subedar
5
1848
31

Link locks are good.
You need to little specific about which type of lock you want

Missing
Deal Subedar
26
2056
27
animesh7785474 wrote:

Link locks are good.
You need to little specific about which type of lock you want

I don’t know much about locks.

Pretty much looking for standard main door lock with keys which can’t be duplicated.

Missing
suspended
50
20
0
G-Gowda wrote:

Hi guys. I want to purchase a good lock for the main door.

So, please help me find something online or give some inputs to help me choose.

Budget?
features needed?
brand preference (if any)?
and point 4》(scroll below)


a chain is as strong as it’s weakest link.

If the door itself it made of particle board or even block board (no matter what the manufacturer/ shopkeeper/ brand or seller call it) then having any lock or latch is just about a psychological barrier.
We have had so called pre-lam (pre laminated) branded doors and others too… but when things soak up moisture or water splashes from mop or rain
and decay, the reality comes out.
The furniture/repair peeson who came once, in chaste Hindi, referred to it as ‘bhoosa’ board. (

about locks, i personally have found original Yale (Europe made, old ones) to be really effective.

But slamming/banging the latch type locks/ doors with such lock assembly… will obviously impact the spring mech (mechanism) or alloy parts too.
(particle board/ unseasoned wood material doors invsriable jam during high humidity, if the frsme is not big enough to accommodate the (swollen) door.

For ↗this↖ very reason, the fancy (read: exorbitantly priced) Godrej ones too are a one hundred percent 🚫no go🚫.

“Link” padlocks (brand suggest by animesh7785474), in the ones i have seen, are above average (for the pricing), but oddly enough one property of a near relative was fairly easily broken into despite having a safety grill (with padlock) and a normal latch lock door (this was over 10 years back though).


Point 4》 what (if any) research, have YOU done prior to commencing this [Need guidance] topic¿ and why are you posting it in Dost and Dimes, instead of in Deal Baba corner?
(okay never mind the last one. i see that you humour yourselves in postings even other ‘flame’ posts https://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/... in Dost and Dimes, despite it being a 🚫no go🚫).

If a fair deal/ offer is available offline, one can even try for the (Yale or any other decent but affordable brand) electronic (keypad, application via wifi or Alexa/Google Assistant) locks too.
But those have their pros and cons too.
(a Yale one i saw , was so discreet that the touch pad was dead looking.. like a switched off dumbphone and yhe keypad was not a physixal thing which any new person/ burgler could know).
Yale and even some Gujarat/Bombay based IITian type young engineer’s start-ups had their stall at one -home decor ➕ furnishings expo… and they provide fairly affordable (not cheap though).. fully integrated switchboards, door locks, lights.. all rigged to work with home automation products/ services like Google Nest/ Echo (they gave live demo too).
.
The basic decent (old fashioned) latch locks of Godrej too cost us 3-4000Rs. a few years back, so no surprise if Yale or other electronic (plus physical key option too) locks cost double the normal ones.

Missing
Deal Cadet
50
230
2

you can buy Europa Dimple Key Main Door Lock 8123 AB ,its good..try to get it from local market,online price in amazon is 300-400 more than wat I got from local shop

Missing
suspended
50
20
0
binod_babu wrote:

dimple key lock

s/he mentioned the requirement ‘.. keys which can’t be duplicated…‘🙄

the unrealistic expectations aside, from what i have seen even with small roadside hawker/shops,
it is rather simple to duplicate keys with dimple features too. (old jagged edges PLUS dimple may not be easy to tool manually. but again, i’ve known people who copy intricate small designs of gold jewellery too.
now the polymer/redin mould materials to create a ‘master’ too are not hard to source.
otherwise [historically] wax like compounds🖒 are used).

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
10
3055
119
Expand
poplift2 wrote:

Budget?
features needed?
brand preference (if any)?
and point 4》(scroll below)


a chain is as strong as it’s weakest link.

If the door itself it made of particle board or even block board (no matter what the manufacturer/ shopkeeper/ brand or seller call it) then having any lock or latch is just about a psychological barrier.
We have had so called pre-lam (pre laminated) branded doors and others too… but when things soak up moisture or water splashes from mop or rain
and decay, the reality comes out.
The furniture/repair peeson who came once, in chaste Hindi, referred to it as ‘bhoosa’ board. (

about locks, i personally have found original Yale (Europe made, old ones) to be really effective.

But slamming/banging the latch type locks/ doors with such lock assembly… will obviously impact the spring mech (mechanism) or alloy parts too.
(particle board/ unseasoned wood material doors invsriable jam during high humidity, if the frsme is not big enough to accommodate the (swollen) door.

For ↗this↖ very reason, the fancy (read: exorbitantly priced) Godrej ones too are a one hundred percent 🚫no go🚫.

“Link” padlocks (brand suggest by animesh7785474), in the ones i have seen, are above average (for the pricing), but oddly enough one property of a near relative was fairly easily broken into despite having a safety grill (with padlock) and a normal latch lock door (this was over 10 years back though).


Point 4》 what (if any) research, have YOU done prior to commencing this [Need guidance] topic¿ and why are you posting it in Dost and Dimes, instead of in Deal Baba corner?
(okay never mind the last one. i see that you humour yourselves in postings even other ‘flame’ posts https://www.desidime.com/forums/dost-and-dimes/... in Dost and Dimes, despite it being a 🚫no go🚫).

If a fair deal/ offer is available offline, one can even try for the (Yale or any other decent but affordable brand) electronic (keypad, application via wifi or Alexa/Google Assistant) locks too.
But those have their pros and cons too.
(a Yale one i saw , was so discreet that the touch pad was dead looking.. like a switched off dumbphone and yhe keypad was not a physixal thing which any new person/ burgler could know).
Yale and even some Gujarat/Bombay based IITian type young engineer’s start-ups had their stall at one -home decor ➕ furnishings expo… and they provide fairly affordable (not cheap though).. fully integrated switchboards, door locks, lights.. all rigged to work with home automation products/ services like Google Nest/ Echo (they gave live demo too).
.
The basic decent (old fashioned) latch locks of Godrej too cost us 3-4000Rs. a few years back, so no surprise if Yale or other electronic (plus physical key option too) locks cost double the normal ones.

Hello sir. Kaise ho?

Missing
Deal Cadet
123
693
2

You can use link lock which are good.
If you have problem regarding fitting of lock then you can try Harrison lock too.
So both company are best it depends on your need.

Missing
Deal Cadet
80
464
3

Offline get a good deal 😇

Missing
Deal Cadet
56
663
10
Expand
G-Gowda wrote:

I don’t know much about locks.

Pretty much looking for standard main door lock with keys which can’t be duplicated.

Sorry you are expecting too much..

There is no lock that an be broken.. Atleast within reach of common man..

You need to be specific with question

Single door /multi door

Material used in door

Any specific needs..

Have seen locks, With finger prints in market now

Missing
Deal Subedar
26
2056
27
Expand
indozoom wrote:

s/he mentioned the requirement ‘.. keys which can’t be duplicated…‘🙄

the unrealistic expectations aside, from what i have seen even with small roadside hawker/shops,
it is rather simple to duplicate keys with dimple features too. (old jagged edges PLUS dimple may not be easy to tool manually. but again, i’ve known people who copy intricate small designs of gold jewellery too.
now the polymer/redin mould materials to create a ‘master’ too are not hard to source.
otherwise [historically] wax like compounds🖒 are used).

I know that anything will be copied and broken into, but wanted to see whether there’s any kind of new tech which has given headache to thieves smile

Missing
Deal Subedar
26
2056
27
vipin13 wrote:

Offline get a good deal 😇

Which brand?

Missing
Deal Subedar
26
2056
27
Expand
jazz09 wrote:

Sorry you are expecting too much..

There is no lock that an be broken.. Atleast within reach of common man..

You need to be specific with question

Single door /multi door

Material used in door

Any specific needs..

Have seen locks, With finger prints in market now

Teak wood. Main single door.

Already have a Europa one. Needed one for extra peace of mind for family since there have been a couple of thefts in the area recently.

Just wondering if there was any kind of brand or model people trust more.

Missing
Deal Cadet
80
464
3
Expand
G-Gowda wrote:

Which brand?

In local no brand ..most common brand is godrej but is 2 times than local in price 😇

Missing