[Help Needed] Dell Inspiron 14 5490 @49K

116°
Missing
Deal Cadet
[Help Needed] Dell Inspiron 14 5490 @49K

Hi Dimers,
Need some suggestion on the following deal. I am getting Dell Inspiron 14 5490 at around 48.7K approximately from a friend (dell employee offer); Is it a good offer ?
Specs are i5-10210U, 8 GB, 512 NVMe SSD
https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/laptops-2-in-1-...
All looks fine to me at decent price, any suggestions regarding the same ?

Also, there’s a Nvidia MX250 2 GB one deal @ 56.8K
https://www.dell.com/en-in/shop/laptops-2-in-1-...

Please suggest if it’s a good deal and which one to go, also any alternative if possible.

19 Comments  |  
8 Dimers
Missing
Deal Newbie

Wait for some time. 11th Gen Intel are launching. They will have way better integrated graphics performance.

I would suggest checking this laptop out once in a dell store. You might not fully like the build quality

Missing
Deal Subedar
BlueFlash wrote:

@getready @cocay @bikidas2060 @caks2006407 @guest_999 @Simbha3 - Bhai, any advice on this ?

Looks expensive to me considering 11th gen models have started to appear in market.

Had the price been lucrative, you wouldn’t have sought suggestions.
These are regular prices at fk/amz with card offers.

I can’t suggest you what you should do. Personally, I wouldn’t buy any of the two at the prices mentioned.

Missing
Deal Major

There’s already 10% CB offer (upto 8k) + Some affiliates used to offer 8/10% extra (Not sure if they’re still active)
Effective price will be 50k or less ..doesn’t mater if you get it yourself or via your dell employee friend

Also as @cocay mentioned.. this is regular price for this model

Missing
Deal Captain

Bro wifi 6 is not there. Not worth it.

Missing
Deal Captain
Expand
myliferockkss wrote:

wifi 6 is not that imp unless you are dealing with atleast a gigabit or have multiple devices where you do a lot of file sharing

Plus wifi cards can be upgraded even on the dumbest laptop – https://www.aliexpress.com/item/10000156220822...._

If it is a standard accessory, which is being provided almost every laptop manufacturer then why bother buying a older 1×1 card with bluetooth 4.1!!! It does not make any sense. And Gigabit internet is affordable now, it will gain popularity as the time progresses.
Wifi card up-gradation is not that simple. BIOS locks compatible cards. If you put a newer generation card, despite of supporting hardware, laptop wont boot. And WiFi 6 antennas have to be installed around the display panel, which is not easy either. So, why bother taking so much tension!!!

For example
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/lap...
are supported wifi cards for legion y7000. That intel ax200 wont work on this. BIOS will through error while booting.

Missing
Deal Lieutenant

Looks good, may be u would have got 2-3k more discount during offers
Reviews say silver Keyboard not good and heating

Missing
Deal Cadet

Thanks all for the info; as suggested, I think it’s not a steal deal as other competitive laptops in the range exist; also read a lot of reviews, mostly positive, except those silver keyboard, bit of heating issues etc… will have to look for some alternatives or maybe more discounted price smile

Missing
Critic
BlueFlash wrote:

Thanks all for the info; as suggested, I think it’s not a steal deal as other competitive laptops in the range exist; also read a lot of reviews, mostly positive, except those silver keyboard, bit of heating issues etc… will have to look for some alternatives or maybe more discounted price smile

Bro the most basic thing is what is your usage. If you are getting a steal deal for a gaming laptop at 50k but never going to use its graphics card & later find out carrying it often is breaking your back then you will start regretting your decision. Same case with if you get a steal deal for an ultrabook & then find out you really need a good dedicated graphics card &/or good ‘H’ version processor to do your tasks unless you want to wait for hours for tasks to finish.

Missing
Deal Cadet
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Bro the most basic thing is what is your usage. If you are getting a steal deal for a gaming laptop at 50k but never going to use its graphics card & later find out carrying it often is breaking your back then you will start regretting your decision. Same case with if you get a steal deal for an ultrabook & then find out you really need a good dedicated graphics card &/or good ‘H’ version processor to do your tasks unless you want to wait for hours for tasks to finish.

Yeah got it (y)
I am looking for a lightweight, yet decently powerful laptop (not into gaming, so gpu not needed) that can last for atleast 4-5 years under normal usage and hence the post sales service and brand reliability needed; Most of my previous laptops were Dell & Lenovo mid range ones and they did live upto their reputation;
Also one more thing, I see very few Ryzen powered laptops, but they are damn powerful/economical compared to their Intel counterparts; Need to hunt for some good laptops deals now, as I need one within 1-2 months.

Missing
Critic
Expand
BlueFlash wrote:

Yeah got it (y)
I am looking for a lightweight, yet decently powerful laptop (not into gaming, so gpu not needed) that can last for atleast 4-5 years under normal usage and hence the post sales service and brand reliability needed; Most of my previous laptops were Dell & Lenovo mid range ones and they did live upto their reputation;
Also one more thing, I see very few Ryzen powered laptops, but they are damn powerful/economical compared to their Intel counterparts; Need to hunt for some good laptops deals now, as I need one within 1-2 months.

For reference look at your old laptop/pc, open windows task manager & check your processor & ram usage(no need for hdd usage as nowadays one must get only ssd equipped laptops). If your current processor & ram usage often exceeds 70% during heavy workload then you need an upgrade else even the lowest model latest i3/ryzen 3 will be enough for your usage. Get 8gb ram anyway as win 10 latest versions with all the manufacturer pre-installed bloatware consume lot of ram, especially important in case of ryzen laptops where 2gb out of 8gb ram will be reserved for ryzen integrated graphics.

Also consider getting ips screen if you are not likely to look at laptop screen in a fixed position most of the time(say sitting on a chair with laptop in front placed on a table).

Missing
Deal Subedar
bikidas2060 wrote:

Bro wifi 6 is not there. Not worth it.

Why is WiFi 6 such s big deal? What special benefits does it offer when compared with wifi 5 or whatever is regularly shipped with laptops?

Missing
Deal Captain
Expand
cocay wrote:

Why is WiFi 6 such s big deal? What special benefits does it offer when compared with wifi 5 or whatever is regularly shipped with laptops?

As Intel put it, “Wi-Fi 6 is capable of a maximum throughput of 9.6 Gbps across multiple channels, compared to 3.5 Gbps on Wi-Fi 5.” In theory, a WiFi 6 capable router could hit speeds over 250% faster than current WiFi 5 devices.Jun 24, 2020
https://www.minim.co/blog/wifi-6-vs-wifi-5#:~:t....

Just googled it n pasted it here 🐒🐒🐒

Missing
Critic
Expand
bikidas2060 wrote:

As Intel put it, “Wi-Fi 6 is capable of a maximum throughput of 9.6 Gbps across multiple channels, compared to 3.5 Gbps on Wi-Fi 5.” In theory, a WiFi 6 capable router could hit speeds over 250% faster than current WiFi 5 devices.Jun 24, 2020
https://www.minim.co/blog/wifi-6-vs-wifi-5#:~:t....

Just googled it n pasted it here 🐒🐒🐒

One important point they forgot to highlight bhai, if a network has both wifi 6 & non-wifi 6 devices then max speed will be downgraded to non wifi 6 standard.
@cocay

Missing
Deal Subedar
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

One important point they forgot to highlight bhai, if a network has both wifi 6 & non-wifi 6 devices then max speed will be downgraded to non wifi 6 standard.
@cocay

Yeah, agree.

A quick question; I need to upgrade ram in my new i3 laptop from 4gb. I plan to do video editing once in a while even though it may not be very capable processor. Will increasing ram to 16gb rather than 8gb make a difference in video editing?
@bikidas2060

Missing
Critic
Expand
cocay wrote:

Yeah, agree.

A quick question; I need to upgrade ram in my new i3 laptop from 4gb. I plan to do video editing once in a while even though it may not be very capable processor. Will increasing ram to 16gb rather than 8gb make a difference in video editing?
@bikidas2060

Not much, it might make a difference during loading & exporting but the actual video processing speed only depends on processor. More ram just means less time loading & exporting entirely from hdd(if you have ssd then difference is even less).

Missing
Critic
Expand
cocay wrote:

Yeah, agree.

@bikidas2060

https://www.promax.com/blog/how-much-ram-do-i-n...

https://www.logicalincrements.com/articles/vide...

Missing
Deal Captain
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

@cocay

Thank u bhau. 🙏🙏🙏🤗🤗🤗

Missing