Help on firestick 2020 purchase

163°
90
4482
161

Deal Price: ₹ 2,499.00
Lowest price of the year on Fire TV Stick.
Get up to 50% off starting 17th Oct. Learn more

In a non prime account shows this plus asking to join prime for 999
2499 +999 to get it

While this offer not showing up in prime account.

So 2499 is the likely price on 17th Oct?

Need to buy one soon for someone who doesn’t have prime yet.

A little clarity on how the deal works would be helpful

26 Comments  |  
10 Dimers
  • Sort By
0
1825
14

What’s better/flexible or more value for money, Fire TV stick or MI Box?
I wish to install custom apps after purchase.
Is ftv usable without prime?

20
2246
23
cocay wrote:

What’s better/flexible or more value for money, Fire TV stick or MI Box?
I wish to install custom apps after purchase.
Is ftv usable without prime?

@getready
Congratulations on your LG grab smile
Please help clarifying this for us

Mi stick or mi box or this new amazon 2499 firestick

90
4482
161
Expand
dev007 wrote:

@getready
Congratulations on your LG grab smile
Please help clarifying this for us

Mi stick or mi box or this new amazon 2499 firestick

The youtube videos show AFS standard is significantly faster than mi stick and AFS 2019 which is 50 bucks cheaper.

No point in going for litessince saving is just 500bbut features are many more.II have Samsung bar with dolby atmos can use it but not there on lite

0
1825
14
Expand
dharmanath481 wrote:

The youtube videos show AFS standard is significantly faster than mi stick and AFS 2019 which is 50 bucks cheaper.

No point in going for litessince saving is just 500bbut features are many more.II have Samsung bar with dolby atmos can use it but not there on lite

Does ftv allow installing custom apps such as thop tv or any other apps? How about screen casting from mobile?

90
4482
161
Expand
cocay wrote:

Does ftv allow installing custom apps such as thop tv or any other apps? How about screen casting from mobile?

You can side load a lot of things. Just youtube to find out. Personally I prefer to continue using my tatasky hd+ box since has 2 tuners so can record 1 while channel surfing.
Helps to glance what’s going on on different channels fast

0
27607
324
Expand
dev007 wrote:

@getready
Congratulations on your LG grab smile
Please help clarifying this for us

Mi stick or mi box or this new amazon 2499 firestick

Best Performer – Fire TV Stick 2020
Atmos support is good but compatible soundbars/speakers they cost a lot (Don’t think you will get Atmos sound w/ TVs having Atmos support for inbuilt soundbar like OnePlus TV 55Q1/Pro)
Also App releases for Fire Stick are slow incomparison w/ AndroidTV

If you have a small 32/43" TV which u will be using to play FHD content then, Mi Stick should fine but 1GB RAM is a con, everytime you go back to homescreen after using any app like primevideo/netflix for sometime..you will notice the lag/delay
But..it is portable, convenient to take it anywhere & use (like Fire TV Stick)

For 4K TVs..Mi TV Stick 4k (Best option right now)
Fire TV Stick is also good @ ~35k but performance of Mi Stick 4K is adequate
If you’re into streaming PrimeVideo content a lot..then may be consider FireStick as the PrimeVideo App is integrated with the launcher & it is much faster compared to AndroidTV App
One more thing..Only Mi Stick 4K has USB 2/3 port of all these three..which means its the only one which you connect to an external device like HDD for local streaming without using any adapters or connectors /(For TV Sticks..Plex works fine but you need other device like PC/Laptop to be ON all the time)

100
318
4

Bought Firestick Lite for 2k on 18th October. It’s a superb value for money. Smooth Sleek Fluid UI no lags at all. Fire OS is amazingly optimised. Dolby Atmos is a joke because only few 4k movies in prime, Netflix support Dolby Atmos. And not all TV support Firestick TV control features. Your TV should have HDMI CEC support which most old LCD TV doesn’t have. So no use of TV control for me. I connected this to my 2 years old VU Tv. YouTube, Prime video 1080p looks fabulous.
Sideloaded ThopTV running smooth as butter. I use FireTV Remote app which is better than original remote.

41
288
7
Joe-Biden wrote:

Bought Firestick Lite for 2k on 18th October. It’s a superb value for money. Smooth Sleek Fluid UI no lags at all. Fire OS is amazingly optimised. Dolby Atmos is a joke because only few 4k movies in prime, Netflix support Dolby Atmos. And not all TV support Firestick TV control features. Your TV should have HDMI CEC support which most old LCD TV doesn’t have. So no use of TV control for me. I connected this to my 2 years old VU Tv. YouTube, Prime video 1080p looks fabulous.
Sideloaded ThopTV running smooth as butter. I use FireTV Remote app which is better than original remote.

Well even 4k was a joke 2 years back now look around, Dolby atmos is gr8 if you have a sound system to go with it, those cheap soundbars offering dolby atmos are a joke actually, a true Dolby atmos setup costs in Lacs and only after hearing it you realize what you were missing in life.

26
2174
29
Expand
getready wrote:

Best Performer – Fire TV Stick 2020
Atmos support is good but compatible soundbars/speakers they cost a lot (Don’t think you will get Atmos sound w/ TVs having Atmos support for inbuilt soundbar like OnePlus TV 55Q1/Pro)
Also App releases for Fire Stick are slow incomparison w/ AndroidTV

If you have a small 32/43" TV which u will be using to play FHD content then, Mi Stick should fine but 1GB RAM is a con, everytime you go back to homescreen after using any app like primevideo/netflix for sometime..you will notice the lag/delay
But..it is portable, convenient to take it anywhere & use (like Fire TV Stick)

For 4K TVs..Mi TV Stick 4k (Best option right now)
Fire TV Stick is also good @ ~35k but performance of Mi Stick 4K is adequate
If you’re into streaming PrimeVideo content a lot..then may be consider FireStick as the PrimeVideo App is integrated with the launcher & it is much faster compared to AndroidTV App
One more thing..Only Mi Stick 4K has USB 2/3 port of all these three..which means its the only one which you connect to an external device like HDD for local streaming without using any adapters or connectors /(For TV Sticks..Plex works fine but you need other device like PC/Laptop to be ON all the time)

Are you talking about Mi 4k Box?

92
1228
8
Joe-Biden wrote:

Bought Firestick Lite for 2k on 18th October. It’s a superb value for money. Smooth Sleek Fluid UI no lags at all. Fire OS is amazingly optimised. Dolby Atmos is a joke because only few 4k movies in prime, Netflix support Dolby Atmos. And not all TV support Firestick TV control features. Your TV should have HDMI CEC support which most old LCD TV doesn’t have. So no use of TV control for me. I connected this to my 2 years old VU Tv. YouTube, Prime video 1080p looks fabulous.
Sideloaded ThopTV running smooth as butter. I use FireTV Remote app which is better than original remote.

for using thop tv….jio account is needed?

20
2246
23
Expand
deal_heist wrote:

for using thop tv….jio account is needed?

For accessing channels in jasmine TV, you need jio login.

92
1228
8
Expand
dev007 wrote:

For accessing channels in jasmine TV, you need jio login.

without it can we see live tv channels like in dth

20
2246
23
Expand
deal_heist wrote:

without it can we see live tv channels like in dth

Yes there are other options in the app, just search for them in livetv search

156
826
31

Guys, i have a question. When you connect your bluetooth headset to firestick on a non-bluettoth non-smart tv , does the bluetooth still remain connected when you switch the hdmi to regular tata-sky live channels? Or does it start playing on the tv speaker?
@getready @dharmanath481 @ G-Gowda

90
4482
161

Strange question
Both hdmi are always active if device is powered. Switching from FS to TS hdmi pass through audio will play from TV of the selection.

If BT is paired to FS it will remained connected and you continue listening to audio from FS while TS is played on tv audio.

If using FS buy a good dolby atmos sound bar for a good experience which will cost about 6-8.5k.

I also bought the pass trough usb cable and connected mouse. Helps in online keyboard other wise it’s cumbersome to use remote for typing.

Also bought FS2020 silicone case from aliexpress for 120 since on Amazon it’s for 1k. Might take 3 months to deliver

52
5716
54
dharmanath481 wrote:

Strange question
Both hdmi are always active if device is powered. Switching from FS to TS hdmi pass through audio will play from TV of the selection.

If BT is paired to FS it will remained connected and you continue listening to audio from FS while TS is played on tv audio.

If using FS buy a good dolby atmos sound bar for a good experience which will cost about 6-8.5k.

I also bought the pass trough usb cable and connected mouse. Helps in online keyboard other wise it’s cumbersome to use remote for typing.

Also bought FS2020 silicone case from aliexpress for 120 since on Amazon it’s for 1k. Might take 3 months to deliver

TS means Tatasky?

How do you switch from FS HDMI port to TS hdmi port using FS remote? I’ve to switch using tv remove only.
Though reverse is possible from FS remote.

41
288
7
dharmanath481 wrote:

Strange question
Both hdmi are always active if device is powered. Switching from FS to TS hdmi pass through audio will play from TV of the selection.

If BT is paired to FS it will remained connected and you continue listening to audio from FS while TS is played on tv audio.

If using FS buy a good dolby atmos sound bar for a good experience which will cost about 6-8.5k.

I also bought the pass trough usb cable and connected mouse. Helps in online keyboard other wise it’s cumbersome to use remote for typing.

Also bought FS2020 silicone case from aliexpress for 120 since on Amazon it’s for 1k. Might take 3 months to deliver

These cheap sound bar that claim Atmos sound are probably like a snake oil, I am sure you cannot have proper atmos effect using a under TV kept sound bar, it probably works by deflecting sound from roof so placement might be tricky, even than the sound may be distorted due to smaller room or sitting/watching TV at position which does not suits Angle of deflection, Dolby Atmos needs specially positioned speakers on ceiling like those in movie theatres, its better to buy regular Soundbar to make it sound better than TV speaker, or may be test out before buying.

90
4482
161
Expand
manav.choudhry598 wrote:

These cheap sound bar that claim Atmos sound are probably like a snake oil, I am sure you cannot have proper atmos effect using a under TV kept sound bar, it probably works by deflecting sound from roof so placement might be tricky, even than the sound may be distorted due to smaller room or sitting/watching TV at position which does not suits Angle of deflection, Dolby Atmos needs specially positioned speakers on ceiling like those in movie theatres, its better to buy regular Soundbar to make it sound better than TV speaker, or may be test out before buying.

I am no techie but if Samsung and amazon says on the box it’s atmos I believe it’s no snake oil.

Technology has evolved with just 3 speakers they can virtualize the sound effects. It does sound better and as per claim but again I don’t have ears of a bat to quantify it.

6-8.5k mey itnaich milenga. One has to take a loan to buy a full atmos system.

90
4482
161
Expand
manikantaks4u wrote:

TS means Tatasky?

How do you switch from FS HDMI port to TS hdmi port using FS remote? I’ve to switch using tv remove only.
Though reverse is possible from FS remote.

I even disabled it. It’s annoying on switching off FS the tv too goes in sleep mode.

Have to configure my TS universal remote for wake.

0
27607
324
schumacher wrote:

Guys, i have a question. When you connect your bluetooth headset to firestick on a non-bluettoth non-smart tv , does the bluetooth still remain connected when you switch the hdmi to regular tata-sky live channels? Or does it start playing on the tv speaker?
@getready @dharmanath481 @ G-Gowda

You’ve connected BT Headset to Firestick
So it doesn’t matter if you’re on HDMI mode or regular.. until FS is switched on, BT headset will remain connected (+ audio via TV Speaker)

41
288
7
Expand
dharmanath481 wrote:

I am no techie but if Samsung and amazon says on the box it’s atmos I believe it’s no snake oil.

Technology has evolved with just 3 speakers they can virtualize the sound effects. It does sound better and as per claim but again I don’t have ears of a bat to quantify it.

6-8.5k mey itnaich milenga. One has to take a loan to buy a full atmos system.

Yes exactly that is what I am trying to convey, they just make sound better than TV speaker and so does any soundbar, if you have heard a ht system with atmos than you will know the difference.
Watch 

skip to 4:15 for Atmos

156
826
31

Do the volume buttons on the 2020 firestick work only during the firestick hdmi mode or even when you are watching regullar tata sky as well? Can you test it out and let me know…
@dharmanath481 @manikantaks4u @getready My original tv remote has gone kaput and i am wondering if this could replace my Tv remote as well? If not i would just get the lite

0
1825
14
schumacher wrote:

Do the volume buttons on the 2020 firestick work only during the firestick hdmi mode or even when you are watching regullar tata sky as well? Can you test it out and let me know…
@dharmanath481 @manikantaks4u @getready My original tv remote has gone kaput and i am wondering if this could replace my Tv remote as well? If not i would just get the lite

The volume (including the power) button works for the tv control and not the set top box.
You can control volume from two places, your set top and tv.
Tested with ftv 2020 on my Micromax.
So, yes, this will serve your purpose.
On a side note, tv remotes are available for just Rs 100 from any repair shop

52
5716
54
schumacher wrote:

Do the volume buttons on the 2020 firestick work only during the firestick hdmi mode or even when you are watching regullar tata sky as well? Can you test it out and let me know…
@dharmanath481 @manikantaks4u @getready My original tv remote has gone kaput and i am wondering if this could replace my Tv remote as well? If not i would just get the lite

Volume +/- mute power buttons in FS 2020 remote are working when we watch dth(tatasky) as well.

Missing