Hot Deal IITian arrested for creating a better alternative app for IRCTC ticket booking.

357°
Missing
Tech Guru
1,072
6843
117
IITian arrested for creating a better alternative app for IRCTC ticket booking.





IIT Graduate Got Arrested For Developing A Faster Rail Ticket Booking App Than IRCTC



https://www.indiatoday.in/technology/news/story...


https://theprint.in/opinion/india-wants-innovat...

38 Comments  |  
18 Dimers
Missing
Deal Subedar
82
1777
17

It allowed people to book faster than others like thousands of browser addons available. It obviously was illegal.

Missing
Tech Guru
1,072
6843
117
igen wrote:

It allowed people to book faster than others like thousands of browser addons available. It obviously was illegal.

Where does it say or which railway official said that booking faster is criminals offence?

So that means IRCTC intentionally made the process slower ? Why?

Missing
Deal Subedar
186
1211
7
Expand
Total_Fun wrote:

Where does it say or which railway official said that booking faster is criminals offence?

So that means IRCTC intentionally made the process slower ? Why?

To allow multiple people book tatkal tickets, not a single dimer to book all and take commissions. sunglasses sunglasses sunglasses

Missing
Tech Guru
1,072
6843
117
Expand
InvestPotato wrote:

To allow multiple people book tatkal tickets, not a single dimer to book all and take commissions. sunglasses sunglasses sunglasses

I’m surprised this logic ( rational)  coming from a dimer. Here We make dozens of  accounts from different phone numbers to get few bucks of profit ( cashback, SuperCoins etc). Don’t you think it’s possible for agents to  create hundreds of IRCTC accounts to book tatkal tickets. If you so then doesn’t matter if it’s done slower or Faster. Shear number is enough to ((brute force))  book most of the in-demand  tickets by the agents. (Dalals)  and limit the access to common man.

Missing
Deal Subedar
186
1211
7
Expand
Total_Fun wrote:

I’m surprised this logic ( rational)  coming from a dimer. Here We make dozens of  accounts from different phone numbers to get few bucks of profit ( cashback, SuperCoins etc). Don’t you think it’s possible for agents to  create hundreds of IRCTC accounts to book tatkal tickets. If you so then doesn’t matter if it’s done slower or Faster. Shear number is enough to ((brute force))  book most of the in-demand  tickets by the agents. (Dalals)  and limit the access to common man.

I am a dimer, But there is a thin line between a dimer and cheating.

For Me, Looting a Company (Product based) by creating multiple account and using scripts to get products easily in flash sale is ABUSING the system, as it wont harm any one but will deny the offer, delay the buy (in-case of flash sales)

But, doing the same in booking tatkal tickets (which is not something people can delay or book afterwards basically, you are denying them opportunity, there can be cases, people need to go for exams, first job day, etc. ) is a case of CHEATING.

I like ABUSING the system, I have ABUSED paypal, paypal blocked by pan verified account for life. its not a problem but cheating is a problem.

SLOW here means – same speed for everyone (or kind of giving chance to many people)
The app was FASTER than normal booking, that what comes as part of CHEATING.

Yes, if an AGENT creates multiple account under SAME speed it comes under ABUSE but here he gets more power than normal users.

Don’t you ask your friends too to create tatkal tickets to increase the chances?

Missing
Deal Subedar
82
1777
17
Expand
Total_Fun wrote:

Where does it say or which railway official said that booking faster is criminals offence?

So that means IRCTC intentionally made the process slower ? Why?

Skipping or automating steps that appear on the irctc app/website is not allowed. In fact it is illegal. Please feel free to join in the spectator area of the court for this case or consult a lawyer if you want to know the sections under which the case has been registered. The site/app has due process for everyone so that all get a fair chance to book tickets.

Missing
Tech Guru
1,072
6843
117
Expand
InvestPotato wrote:

I am a dimer, But there is a thin line between a dimer and cheating.

For Me, Looting a Company (Product based) by creating multiple account and using scripts to get products easily in flash sale is ABUSING the system, as it wont harm any one but will deny the offer, delay the buy (in-case of flash sales)

But, doing the same in booking tatkal tickets (which is not something people can delay or book afterwards basically, you are denying them opportunity, there can be cases, people need to go for exams, first job day, etc. ) is a case of CHEATING.

I like ABUSING the system, I have ABUSED paypal, paypal blocked by pan verified account for life. its not a problem but cheating is a problem.

SLOW here means – same speed for everyone (or kind of giving chance to many people)
The app was FASTER than normal booking, that what comes as part of CHEATING.

Yes, if an AGENT creates multiple account under SAME speed it comes under ABUSE but here he gets more power than normal users.

Don’t you ask your friends too to create tatkal tickets to increase the chances?

I certainly  understand your concern and sentiment. But:

1) If I’m gaming on a fibre optic cable internet with less than 50 milliseconds lag and other player has a  broadband with more than 100 milliseconds lag does that mean I’m cheating?

2) Work from home and study from home is a global norm today. Last time I checked Kashmir ( as well as most of rural India) still only has 2G internet speed while urban and semi-urban area definately have 4G speed for working or studying.

Does that mean We people living in urban areas Are cheating them?

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
621
14

I hate how all media portals portraying this story. The guy did an illegal act and media people are portraying him as hero, and irctc as villains. WTF rage
This is nothing new, many people have been arrested already in past 10 years for this offense.

Missing
Deal Subedar
186
1211
7
Expand
Total_Fun wrote:

I certainly  understand your concern and sentiment. But:

1) If I’m gaming on a fibre optic cable internet with less than 50 milliseconds lag and other player has a  broadband with more than 100 milliseconds lag does that mean I’m cheating?

2) Work from home and study from home is a global norm today. Last time I checked Kashmir ( as well as most of rural India) still only has 2G internet speed while urban and semi-urban area definately have 4G speed for working or studying.

Does that mean We people living in urban areas Are cheating them?

You can get fast internet if you pay more or shift to other urban places/ask friends in urban areas. Kashmir is a different issue, and I support them getting 4G,

But, Not everyone can get book my that app. Also that app might not be secure (or people not trust them

The 2 senarios you said comes in ABUSE section. As i said, its a thin line.

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
621
14

@@Total_Fun I think you are not aware how these so called automated tools work. Who are the beneficiaries of it and what kind of problems they create. The browser extension is just the first layer. The extension is not so problematic but the premium software is. I will tell you some details about the premium irctc software.

Features:-
a> Option to book multiple tickets in one go (no of tickets based on subscription cost)
b> Pre fill everything, and by everything i mean everything.(bank details id password+otp too via sbi app otp service etc)
c> fully automated booking , just fill all tickets details and you can use multiple irctc id’s at once.You just wait there and watch.

Why it is bad?
Simply because premium service is costly so only agents and cyber cafe guys buy it, & they charge heavy booking cost from poor public. * Also if a software is allowing booking multiple tickets in one go how can you support it? It is clearly meant for dalals and agents* , Right now market is flooded with these type of software, so in every city 2 or 3 agents book tickets this way. This decreases the chance of booking tickets for normal public like us.

So you are literally promoting “DALALI” by supporting this. grinning

Missing
Tech Guru
285
19940
194

Our laws should be relaxed in such cases 🤐
Better if he was fined with warning.
Strict laws won’t make him better in any way.

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
50
1

Bypassing what ? Their captcha ? their countdown?
I am pretty sure these sites have server side clock ticking to track the response -No matter how fast you fill ,everyone’s response will be accepted after x seconds only ,giving everyone fair chance. If not RIP . laughing

Missing
Deal Cadet
422
644
6

Stupid media trying to project entire scenario in a different way and making him as hero. Several similar arrests were made in the past for making such automated browser extensions and apps, which is illegal. A common man won’t purchase such pro apps at hefty prices for just few tickets occasionally, Only 3rd party agents do that. He made money by selling his software to such agents which is both illegal and immoral. Supporting him is like saying What’s wrong in playing sports with specially made spring bats, tampered balls, bouncy shoes or using drugs. Of course, They do boost game performance but illegal.

Missing
Deal Cadet
111
593
4

I have tried booking on 300 Mbps fibre line…. Before even we solve the captcha, the tickets are sold out….

Thanks to these kind of softwares….

These Tatkal agents charge 1000 rupees per ticket…..

Missing
Pro Blogger
1,854
5472
76
digyvijaykr wrote:

I hate how all media portals portraying this story. The guy did an illegal act and media people are portraying him as hero, and irctc as villains. WTF rage
This is nothing new, many people have been arrested already in past 10 years for this offense.

Bhai, yehi hack Google/ MS ke sath hota to Obviously woh genius hi kehlata.. bounty ka prize alag se. App bhi kharid lete. sweat_smile

But, here NO.. you can’t challenge the “obvious” by making better products than them. Only the manipulations corruptions/ bypass made by them are allowed. Right?

Do you know how agents book faster tickets in the same tatkal window while you come empty handed. Now blame it on the internet or luck it’s up to you.. but you’ll surely end up filling their pockets, specially in emergencies.

PS: I am aware of such rackets for tatkal tickets. Instead of making it available for all/ removing agent mafias, IRCTC/ Railways do promote corruptions at first point. Hence, the blame.

Do you see it in any other part of the (develop) world?? Evn in China? Just ask why??

Missing
Pro Blogger
1,854
5472
76
digyvijaykr wrote:

@@Total_Fun I think you are not aware how these so called automated tools work. Who are the beneficiaries of it and what kind of problems they create. The browser extension is just the first layer. The extension is not so problematic but the premium software is. I will tell you some details about the premium irctc software.

Features:-
a> Option to book multiple tickets in one go (no of tickets based on subscription cost)
b> Pre fill everything, and by everything i mean everything.(bank details id password+otp too via sbi app otp service etc)
c> fully automated booking , just fill all tickets details and you can use multiple irctc id’s at once.You just wait there and watch.

Why it is bad?
Simply because premium service is costly so only agents and cyber cafe guys buy it, & they charge heavy booking cost from poor public. * Also if a software is allowing booking multiple tickets in one go how can you support it? It is clearly meant for dalals and agents* , Right now market is flooded with these type of software, so in every city 2 or 3 agents book tickets this way. This decreases the chance of booking tickets for normal public like us.

So you are literally promoting “DALALI” by supporting this. grinning

You are all correct, minus the last line. Think a bit harder to get to the root cause. If can’t then leave it..

But,

That’s a kind of *lame personal attack bro, without thinking from all sides. Pls refrain from doing so next time.

Good luck! plus1

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
621
14
Expand
deb3l wrote:

You are all correct, minus the last line. Think a bit harder to get to the root cause. If can’t then leave it..

But,

That’s a kind of *lame personal attack bro, without thinking from all sides. Pls refrain from doing so next time.

Good luck! plus1

ok gurji, i apologies for my last line . I was carried away by the story. Literally each time i saw this news headline ,it was boiling my blood.

i am sorry

Missing
Tech Guru
285
19940
194
Expand
deb3l wrote:

Bhai, yehi hack Google/ MS ke sath hota to Obviously woh genius hi kehlata.. bounty ka prize alag se. App bhi kharid lete. sweat_smile

But, here NO.. you can’t challenge the “obvious” by making better products than them. Only the manipulations corruptions/ bypass made by them are allowed. Right?

Do you know how agents book faster tickets in the same tatkal window while you come empty handed. Now blame it on the internet or luck it’s up to you.. but you’ll surely end up filling their pockets, specially in emergencies.

PS: I am aware of such rackets for tatkal tickets. Instead of making it available for all/ removing agent mafias, IRCTC/ Railways do promote corruptions at first point. Hence, the blame.

Do you see it in any other part of the (develop) world?? Evn in China? Just ask why??

Last 70+ years, not a single politician or a business tycoon hanged to death for corruption charges.

Laws are for common man 🤐

Missing
Deal Subedar
82
1777
17
Expand
deb3l wrote:

Bhai, yehi hack Google/ MS ke sath hota to Obviously woh genius hi kehlata.. bounty ka prize alag se. App bhi kharid lete. sweat_smile

But, here NO.. you can’t challenge the “obvious” by making better products than them. Only the manipulations corruptions/ bypass made by them are allowed. Right?

Do you know how agents book faster tickets in the same tatkal window while you come empty handed. Now blame it on the internet or luck it’s up to you.. but you’ll surely end up filling their pockets, specially in emergencies.

PS: I am aware of such rackets for tatkal tickets. Instead of making it available for all/ removing agent mafias, IRCTC/ Railways do promote corruptions at first point. Hence, the blame.

Do you see it in any other part of the (develop) world?? Evn in China? Just ask why??

People dont get bounty for hacking Google/MS. They get jailed for it. This is cyber crime, this guy not only made this app he derived financial gain from it.

Bounty is when you report the bugs/issues to the developer and do not use them. There is a difference b/w white hat and other hackers. Tomorrow if someone hacks your phone and transfers money from your accounts to his own or sells your data to someone else will you pay him bounty or register FIR against him. People are supporting this guy just because he is an IITian without even knowing the gravity of the crime.

Note: This isnt even first time such crackdown has been done. Several people have gone to jail for offences like these.

https://www.financialexpress.com/infrastructure...

Inko bhi jara bounty dilwa do.

Missing
Pro Blogger
1,854
5472
76
Expand
digyvijaykr wrote:

ok gurji, i apologies for my last line . I was carried away by the story. Literally each time i saw this news headline ,it was boiling my blood.

i am sorry

Gotcha! smile

Blood galat jagah pe boil kar rahe ho aap.. stuck_out_tongue

Missing
Pro Blogger
1,854
5472
76
Expand
igen wrote:

People dont get bounty for hacking Google/MS. They get jailed for it. This is cyber crime, this guy not only made this app he derived financial gain from it.

Bounty is when you report the bugs/issues to the developer and do not use them. There is a difference b/w white hat and other hackers. Tomorrow if someone hacks your phone and transfers money from your accounts to his own or sells your data to someone else will you pay him bounty or register FIR against him. People are supporting this guy just because he is an IITian without even knowing the gravity of the crime.

Note: This isnt even first time such crackdown has been done. Several people have gone to jail for offences like these.

https://www.financialexpress.com/infrastructure...

Inko bhi jara bounty dilwa do.

I agree, this is “crime”. smile

But, issues like this can be handled otherwise plus IRCTC sucks big time!

Corruptions are already at a different level.

But, yeah.. that does not mean we would support such activities but not getting any concrete solutions (than just brush it under the carpet) out of it is a problem in itself for longer period. I’ve witnessing this mess since the start and it was there before that too.. (in manual ticketing).

So the root cause is elsewhere.. You know that too. sunglasses

#IncompetencyEverywhere

Missing
Deal Cadet
62
878
4

Issi vajah se bc log bahar jaate hai. Agar yeh kisi aur desh mein hota to isse inaam milta.
I fully agree with the bounty definition give above, instead of jailing him they should have taken all financial gains from him and should have asked him to help them integrate his app/idea into their software or face the law. I am sure he would have happily chosen option one.
P.S. Enlighten me with the news of a hacker who has hacked Google or MS. @igen

Missing
Pro Blogger
1,854
5472
76
billubakra wrote:

Issi vajah se bc log bahar jaate hai. Agar yeh kisi aur desh mein hota to isse inaam milta.
I fully agree with the bounty definition give above, instead of jailing him they should have taken all financial gains from him and should have asked him to help them integrate his app/idea into their software or face the law. I am sure he would have happily chosen option one.
P.S. Enlighten me with the news of a hacker who has hacked Google or MS. @igen

No, they will arrest him as a criminal. sunglasses

Unke khane mein haath daal raha tha.. unke agents ko nahin diye honge. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Missing
Pro Blogger
1,854
5472
76
billubakra wrote:

Issi vajah se bc log bahar jaate hai. Agar yeh kisi aur desh mein hota to isse inaam milta.
I fully agree with the bounty definition give above, instead of jailing him they should have taken all financial gains from him and should have asked him to help them integrate his app/idea into their software or face the law. I am sure he would have happily chosen option one.
P.S. Enlighten me with the news of a hacker who has hacked Google or MS. @igen

No, they will arrest him as a criminal. sunglasses

Unke khane mein haath daal raha tha.. unke agents ko nahin diye honge. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

Missing
Deal Subedar
82
1777
17
billubakra wrote:

Issi vajah se bc log bahar jaate hai. Agar yeh kisi aur desh mein hota to isse inaam milta.
I fully agree with the bounty definition give above, instead of jailing him they should have taken all financial gains from him and should have asked him to help them integrate his app/idea into their software or face the law. I am sure he would have happily chosen option one.
P.S. Enlighten me with the news of a hacker who has hacked Google or MS. @igen

Ha offence karte hue arrest hone ke wajah se log US/UK prefer karte hai. Waha toh Cyber Laws hai hi nahi na.

BTW the search terms are “hackers arrest microsoft” for Google if you want to know about previous arrests/cases where hackers were prosecuted.

Missing
Deal Cadet
157
616
8

There was similar software which was booking ticket illegally.
I think its name was RedMirchi. seems like this IITian has developed similar software.

Missing
Deal Cadet
62
878
4
Expand
igen wrote:

Ha offence karte hue arrest hone ke wajah se log US/UK prefer karte hai. Waha toh Cyber Laws hai hi nahi na.

BTW the search terms are “hackers arrest microsoft” for Google if you want to know about previous arrests/cases where hackers were prosecuted.

Google Defcon and the past history of their founding fathers. You need to read my comment again. They don’t put talent in jail, ofcourse until and unless you become Assange or Snowden.

Post hacker’s name here who hacked Google or MS.

Missing
Deal Subedar
80
2838
69
Par_ wrote:

There was similar software which was booking ticket illegally.
I think its name was RedMirchi. seems like this IITian has developed similar software.

exactly , redMirchi is still used by agents .

Missing
Deal Cadet
62
878
4
Expand
deb3l wrote:

No, they will arrest him as a criminal. sunglasses

Unke khane mein haath daal raha tha.. unke agents ko nahin diye honge. stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes

No bro. If one is talented, they make a deal with him. They never let a talent go down the drain. Yes, they do prosecute many many of them. But if the guy can be useful for their national security then they like do make deals, not with all but with most of them. + @igen Financial fraud is unacceptable there but if it somehow involves hacking then one might have a chance. Coming to the guy in the op’s post, he should have been recruited by the CERT. Oh wait CERT is a joke, I forgot.

Missing