Is a Thinkpad T460 (i7) old good buy at 18k?

50°
Missing
Deal Subedar

Someone is selling a t460 thinkpad at 18k. Used for 8-10 hours a day in office environment for 2 and half years.

i7 6th gen
16GB RAM
Regular HDD

Please suggest
@getready @any1 @xuseronline

13 Comments  |  
5 Dimers
Missing
Deal Major

If you don’t mind getting your 18k wasted within an year.. then you can give these a try
I remember when eBay.in sellers used to be active, there were so many deals on Lenovo thinkpad and HP Probook laptops @ ~20k (Probably w/ too many cheap spares*)

Missing
Deal Subedar
getready wrote:

If you don’t mind getting your 18k wasted within an year.. then you can give these a try
I remember when eBay.in sellers used to be active, there were so many deals on Lenovo thinkpad and HP Probook laptops @ ~20k (Probably w/ too many cheap spares*)

Wasn’t sure myself. That’s why asked. Not buying now. thanks. KG

Missing
Deal Newbie
getready wrote:

They are available now too, they are mostly from IT companies.
They issue a new laptop to every employee ( Some offers even to interns), they periodically sells old HW after pulling HDD to third party; once employee exits.

Some of these dealers used to sale them on ebay; now after ebay they are using their own websites. But Corona dried the stock this year.

Missing
Deal Newbie

There is a saying – “Best windows laptop for budget is an old thinkpad.” But it’s not true in India.
2nd hand goods in India is rarely in mint condition. Besides if a seller has 20+ stock of same model, than you may give a try because they are mostly from corporate/work laptops.

But personally, I’d say- don’t go for a laptop older than 6th gen. Because intel won’t provide driver updates.
Also, i3 10th gen ~= i5 7th gen, i3 7th gen ~= i5 5th Gen; and so on… (I hope you get the point)

Missing
Deal Lieutenant

I don’t mind buying at 16k this configuration.
Do you know this person personally?
Anywhere in Delhi?

If you are interested, I might have someone interested in this smile

Missing
Deal Subedar
any1 wrote:

There is a saying – “Best windows laptop for budget is an old thinkpad.” But it’s not true in India.
2nd hand goods in India is rarely in mint condition. Besides if a seller has 20+ stock of same model, than you may give a try because they are mostly from corporate/work laptops.

But personally, I’d say- don’t go for a laptop older than 6th gen. Because intel won’t provide driver updates.
Also, i3 10th gen ~= i5 7th gen, i3 7th gen ~= i5 5th Gen; and so on… (I hope you get the point)

Any reviews of the arrow keys+pg up+pg down keys in dell laptops as far as durability and reliability is concerned? Do these mini keys last long?

My main use on a laptop is word, excel, pdf etc. That involves a lot of scrolling, so, extensive use of these keys. These were the only keys in my old thinkpad that came off and I ended up buying a wireless keyboard. Unfortunately no 14" comes with full size navigation keys.

Or if you have got any suggestions for brand, alternatives..

Missing
Deal Newbie

Keyboard quality has deteriorated across all brands. (Even apple)
And it’s no fault of companies, keyboard are thinned out to give small form factor..
Personally, I am yet to find a single HP business laptop with a faulty key. But HP has other nuances.

Dell latitude is comparable to thinkpad keyboard, but have not got a chance to try the newer ones.

If durability is your goal you are left with Dell and Lenovo. But I am not in ability to suggest which in particular.
Just don’t go with a consumer laptop, Business laptops look ugly but they are durable. and stay away from chinese / taiwanese brands for keyboard ie Asus, Acer, Lenovo(Except thinkpad)

Missing
Deal Subedar

This laptop’s (thinkpad e14 that I bought) navigation keys were very flimsy and fragile and it looked as if they won’t last even an year. Rest of the keyboard was fine.

I checked Dell vostro at a store and its keyboard looked better than thinkpad. I’m considering that but its pricing is steep. Another option is I go for a 15inch which will have numeric keypad (another set of navigation keys).

Dell laptops come with i3-1005G1 while all other laptops come with i3-10110u. Is there considerable difference between the two in real world usage? I tried reading detailed specs at Intel but couldn’t figure out much…
@any1

Missing
Critic
cocay wrote:

This laptop’s (thinkpad e14 that I bought) navigation keys were very flimsy and fragile and it looked as if they won’t last even an year. Rest of the keyboard was fine.

I checked Dell vostro at a store and its keyboard looked better than thinkpad. I’m considering that but its pricing is steep. Another option is I go for a 15inch which will have numeric keypad (another set of navigation keys).

Dell laptops come with i3-1005u while all other laptops come with i3-10110u. Is there considerable difference between the two in real world usage? I tried reading detailed specs at Intel but couldn’t figure out much…
@any1

If it is 1005G1 then it is better because it is based on 10nm manufacturing compared to 10110U which is based on 14nm manufacturing. Only in India this happens, either 1005U is a typo or it is an exclusive variant launched in India because on Intel’s own site & wiki there is only 1005G1 not 1005U.

Missing
Deal Subedar
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

If it is 1005G1 then it is better because it is based on 10nm manufacturing compared to 10110U which is based on 14nm manufacturing. Only in India this happens, either 1005U is a typo or it is an exclusive variant launched in India because on Intel’s own site & wiki there is only 1005G1 not 1005U.

It is 1005g1 only. I made the typo in my post. I assumed the suffix is “u” as in the other i3.
Other than the manufacturing, there is difference in Ghz speed as well, 1005 offers lower base clock speed; not sure how much that translates in real world though. Additionally, 1005 is cheaper than 10110.

Would you also happen to know if i3 10th can be replaced with an i5 10th if they both need the same socket type on motherboard? Though I didn’t find any site online where laptop processors are sold in retail.

Missing
Deal Newbie
Expand
cocay wrote:

It is 1005g1 only. I made the typo in my post. I assumed the suffix is “u” as in the other i3.
Other than the manufacturing, there is difference in Ghz speed as well, 1005 offers lower base clock speed; not sure how much that translates in real world though. Additionally, 1005 is cheaper than 10110.

Would you also happen to know if i3 10th can be replaced with an i5 10th if they both need the same socket type on motherboard? Though I didn’t find any site online where laptop processors are sold in retail.

Hi,

5G1 has better graphics (G1), + 10nm Processing node (= less heat , more battery), future proof

110 has higher clock rate = (slightly faster but unnoticeable in day to day processing) , and has uhd graphics.

If we look purely at processor , you should go for G1. I bough thinkpad with 110 as thinkpad only comes with 110 variant.

15inch will have better key travel I guess, Dell Vostro has bad thermal so make sure you check running unit at showroom if you can live with that.

Though you can fit i3 in i5 socket in same gen, but sometimes they are soldered, even if they are not… you will have hard time to buy a ‘new’ embedded i5 processor.
You can search on aliexpress for ripped processor though.

Dell has always been pricey, but has relatively better components and best service support.
Finally, It’s not possible to have it all…

You can blindly choose any one among HP probook/essential; Asus pro; Dell Vostro/Latitude; Lenovo v14/v15/l series/thinkpad.

None of above is perfect, but anyone will suffice your needs. (cheapest is HP Essential, priciest is Probook)

Missing
Critic
Expand
cocay wrote:

1005G1 seems to be a better option, real world difference though should be visible in a bit better battery backup.
https://www.notebookcheck.net/i3-1005G1-vs-i3-1...

Laptop manufacturers use different types of techniques to integrate processor on mobo so practically speaking it is not worth it/possible to upgrade processor on a laptop mobo.

Missing
Deal Subedar
Expand
any1 wrote:

Hi,

5G1 has better graphics (G1), + 10nm Processing node (= less heat , more battery), future proof

110 has higher clock rate = (slightly faster but unnoticeable in day to day processing) , and has uhd graphics.

If we look purely at processor , you should go for G1. I bough thinkpad with 110 as thinkpad only comes with 110 variant.

15inch will have better key travel I guess, Dell Vostro has bad thermal so make sure you check running unit at showroom if you can live with that.

Though you can fit i3 in i5 socket in same gen, but sometimes they are soldered, even if they are not… you will have hard time to buy a ‘new’ embedded i5 processor.
You can search on aliexpress for ripped processor though.

Dell has always been pricey, but has relatively better components and best service support.
Finally, It’s not possible to have it all…

You can blindly choose any one among HP probook/essential; Asus pro; Dell Vostro/Latitude; Lenovo v14/v15/l series/thinkpad.

None of above is perfect, but anyone will suffice your needs. (cheapest is HP Essential, priciest is Probook)

A lot helpful plus1

Missing