Is a Thinkpad T460 (i7) old good buy at 18k?

70°
Deal Subedar
cocay

Someone is selling a t460 thinkpad at 18k. Used for 8-10 hours a day in office environment for 2 and half years.

i7 6th gen
16GB RAM
Regular HDD

Please suggest
@getready @any1 @xuseronline

13 Comments  |  
5 Dimers
  • Sort By
Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied

If you don’t mind getting your 18k wasted within an year.. then you can give these a try
I remember when eBay.in sellers used to be active, there were so many deals on Lenovo thinkpad and HP Probook laptops @ ~20k (Probably w/ too many cheap spares*)

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Wasn’t sure myself. That’s why asked. Not buying now. thanks. KG

View 1 more reply
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

There is a saying – “Best windows laptop for budget is an old thinkpad.” But it’s not true in India.
2nd hand goods in India is rarely in mint condition. Besides if a seller has 20+ stock of same model, than you may give a try because they are mostly from corporate/work laptops.

But personally, I’d say- don’t go for a laptop older than 6th gen. Because intel won’t provide driver updates.
Also, i3 10th gen ~= i5 7th gen, i3 7th gen ~= i5 5th Gen; and so on… (I hope you get the point)

Link Copied

Any reviews of the arrow keys+pg up+pg down keys in dell laptops as far as durability and reliability is concerned? Do these mini keys last long?

My main use on a laptop is word, excel, pdf etc. That involves a lot of scrolling, so, extensive use of these keys. These were the only keys in my old thinkpad that came off and I ended up buying a wireless keyboard. Unfortunately no 14" comes with full size navigation keys.

Or if you have got any suggestions for brand, alternatives..

Generous Generous
Link Copied

I don’t mind buying at 16k this configuration.
Do you know this person personally?
Anywhere in Delhi?

If you are interested, I might have someone interested in this smile

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Keyboard quality has deteriorated across all brands. (Even apple)
And it’s no fault of companies, keyboard are thinned out to give small form factor..
Personally, I am yet to find a single HP business laptop with a faulty key. But HP has other nuances.

Dell latitude is comparable to thinkpad keyboard, but have not got a chance to try the newer ones.

If durability is your goal you are left with Dell and Lenovo. But I am not in ability to suggest which in particular.
Just don’t go with a consumer laptop, Business laptops look ugly but they are durable. and stay away from chinese / taiwanese brands for keyboard ie Asus, Acer, Lenovo(Except thinkpad)

Link Copied

This laptop’s (thinkpad e14 that I bought) navigation keys were very flimsy and fragile and it looked as if they won’t last even an year. Rest of the keyboard was fine.

I checked Dell vostro at a store and its keyboard looked better than thinkpad. I’m considering that but its pricing is steep. Another option is I go for a 15inch which will have numeric keypad (another set of navigation keys).

Dell laptops come with i3-1005G1 while all other laptops come with i3-10110u. Is there considerable difference between the two in real world usage? I tried reading detailed specs at Intel but couldn’t figure out much…
@any1

Critic Critic
Link Copied

If it is 1005G1 then it is better because it is based on 10nm manufacturing compared to 10110U which is based on 14nm manufacturing. Only in India this happens, either 1005U is a typo or it is an exclusive variant launched in India because on Intel’s own site & wiki there is only 1005G1 not 1005U.

View 4 more replies
replyuser
Click here to reply