Hot Deal Luminous Inverter battery is fully discharged

548°
Deal Subedar
107
1039
7

Luminous Inverter battery is fully discharged when I was away from home for three months.
I had switched off the main power and disconnected the inverter from output usage of TV , fans and lights while I was away.

Is there any way to get it back to work without consulting the technician?

38 Comments  |  
11 Dimers
  • Sort By
51
418
1

top it up with distil water then recharge.

338
12344
128

No there is way to get it working without technician’s help, unless you have battery charger and battery desulfator.

107
1039
7
hsmhsm wrote:

top it up with distil water then recharge.

I did top up with distilled water.
Shall I simply connect ‘’main power’’ to inverter ?

107
1039
7
bikidas2060 wrote:

No there is way to get it working without technician’s help, unless you have battery charger and battery desulfator.

You mean to say, I need to have SEPARATE recharger equipment to recharge the battery and then re-connect the battery with inverter?

338
12344
128
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

You mean to say, I need to have SEPARATE recharger equipment to recharge the battery and then re-connect the battery with inverter?

Yes bhai. 🙂🙂🙂

19
3211
23

You can try powering on the usual way, except powering on the output of inverter. Keep observing it for an hour or two every 5-10 mins. If it charges usual way, you may get a confirmation by turning off the inverter input power and turning on the output. Check by turning on a LED bulb, make sure you power off the rest of the consumers.
If the light glows, continue charging by turning off the output.

If it doesn’t charge, take the battery to a local inverter/battery shop to get it charged. The charging will usually take 6-7 hrs.

138
235
5

Few steps to follow..
1. First check the water level. Top it up to full.
2.Check back panel there will be a switch. Check whether charging switch is on high mode.
3. Connect with main supply. Switch off the inverter. You will find a switch on front panel.This way it will only charge and will not provide any backup.
4.If you have multimeter then check the voltage while in charge. The reading must be more than 13 volt. (Don’t worry it is safe)
5.Keep it up for charging for 14-16 hours.Then cut the power supply and check the voltage again it should be more than 12 V.
6.Now switch on the inverter with out Turing on the mains.
7.Switch on some appliances (Fan, Light etc) and Check the voltage again it should not be less than 11.5 V.
This is the proven way to rectify it. If it does not work then take it to any battery center and tell them to boost charge it. If it still doesn’t work then you have to replace it.

107
1039
7
Dr-Stranger wrote:

Few steps to follow..
1. First check the water level. Top it up to full.
2.Check back panel there will be a switch. Check whether charging switch is on high mode.
3. Connect with main supply. Switch off the inverter. You will find a switch on front panel.This way it will only charge and will not provide any backup.
4.If you have multimeter then check the voltage while in charge. The reading must be more than 13 volt. (Don’t worry it is safe)
5.Keep it up for charging for 14-16 hours.Then cut the power supply and check the voltage again it should be more than 12 V.
6.Now switch on the inverter with out Turing on the mains.
7.Switch on some appliances (Fan, Light etc) and Check the voltage again it should not be less than 11.5 V.
This is the proven way to rectify it. If it does not work then take it to any battery center and tell them to boost charge it. If it still doesn’t work then you have to replace it.

I tried the above steps.
Looks like, the battery is fully dead.
The in-built fan in the inverter is making noise and it is not able to rotate.

19
3211
23

The fan kicks in when there is excess heat generated inside inverter, and if it is not able to rotate, the issue is with inverter, but not battery. Nevertheless, it is better if you call a technician if you do not know what you are dealing with. It will avoid any unwanted damage with unfruitful attempts.

141
1435
85

Bhai dukan me le jao, 100/200 rupya lenge

138
235
5
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

I tried the above steps.
Looks like, the battery us fully dead.
The in-built fan in the inverter is making noise and it is not able to rotate.

Inverter and battery two are separate entity.
The fan will start if there is excess heat inside the inverter.So if it is not rotating that doesn’t mean that it is faulty.
I would suggest please call an experience electrician.

107
1039
7
titamazon wrote:

Bhai dukan me le jao, 100/200 rupya lenge

I know, but the problem is allowing the technician to inside the house is the big issue.
Otherwise, I will have to carry the inverter+battery to the shop.
Both are as bad as inviting the trouble. (Looks like, you missed this point).
Hence trying to solve myself, if it is possible.

107
1039
7
Expand
Dr-Stranger wrote:

Inverter and battery two are separate entity.
The fan will start if there is excess heat inside the inverter.So if it is not rotating that doesn’t mean that it is faulty.
I would suggest please call an experience electrician.

There is no heat in inverter or in battery since it is disconnected from main power for more than three months.

Not sure, if it is the problem with inverter or the battery.
But the inverter display shows all symbols like battery symbol and other symbols.

952
8730
131
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

I know, but the problem is allowing the technician to inside the house is the big issue.
Otherwise, I will have to carry the inverter+battery to the shop.
Both are as bad as inviting the trouble. (Looks like, you missed this point).
Hence trying to solve myself, if it is possible.

I feel if you have someone who is very ill or very old (over 80 years) then your concern is valid to a certain extent. But you have to let ‘other people’  in your house sooner or later.

Just make sure they sanitize their hands. Wear masks.

If they are wearing a mask with valve then ask them to wear a 3 ply surgical masks over it.

Try to let them work near the doorway, my point is don’t let them enter them too “deep” ( for lack of a better Word ) into your house unless absolutely necessary. After they are done sanitize that place ( with bleaching powder of solution 1% or less)

It is good to think We are very self- sufficient ( atleast interms of skills). That we can learn and fix almost anything just by watching few hours of YouTube. But in our modern Complex life with complex Problems that Idea is an illusion.

338
12344
128
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

I know, but the problem is allowing the technician to inside the house is the big issue.
Otherwise, I will have to carry the inverter+battery to the shop.
Both are as bad as inviting the trouble. (Looks like, you missed this point).
Hence trying to solve myself, if it is possible.

Bhai. If you carry it, then use another person as your partner

107
1039
7

Update:
I am able to get hold of a Battery mechanic. He took the battery. After 48 hours later, he told me over phone that the battery is dead.
It is 150ah exide battery and it is 4 years old. He suggested me to buy the new battery for Rs9500. He also suggested me to go for 100ah exide battery Rs6000, if I feel to cut down the cost. My requirement is just for WFH setup for keeping the Wifi Internet modem connection live during the power outages (the generator would be switched on after few minutes, hence I need the inverter setup for the Wifi internet modem/router).
My inverter is luminous Zelio 1100 (900va rating)

I am thinking of going ahead with 100ah one.

Which one will be better? 100ah or 150ah ?

6
1335
5
ramadesidime wrote:

Update:
I am able to get hold of a Battery mechanic. He took the battery. After 48 hours later, he told me over phone that the battery is dead.
It is 150ah exide battery and it is 4 years old. He suggested me to buy the new battery for Rs9500. He also suggested me to go for 100ah exide battery Rs6000, if I feel to cut down the cost. My requirement is just for WFH setup for keeping the Wifi Internet modem connection live during the power outages (the generator would be switched on after few minutes, hence I need the inverter setup for the Wifi internet modem/router).
My inverter is luminous Zelio 1100 (900va rating)

I am thinking of going ahead with 100ah one.

Which one will be better? 100ah or 150ah ?

If you only want it to keep wifi connection working during power outage then I suggest you to look for ups for router. It will cost you approx 1500.

19
3211
23
ramadesidime wrote:

Update:
I am able to get hold of a Battery mechanic. He took the battery. After 48 hours later, he told me over phone that the battery is dead.
It is 150ah exide battery and it is 4 years old. He suggested me to buy the new battery for Rs9500. He also suggested me to go for 100ah exide battery Rs6000, if I feel to cut down the cost. My requirement is just for WFH setup for keeping the Wifi Internet modem connection live during the power outages (the generator would be switched on after few minutes, hence I need the inverter setup for the Wifi internet modem/router).
My inverter is luminous Zelio 1100 (900va rating)

I am thinking of going ahead with 100ah one.

Which one will be better? 100ah or 150ah ?

Even 100ah is way more than the requirement if its just the router. If you decided to use the inverter, then 100ah is good to consider. On top of which I would suggest you to periodically use atleast 60% of the battery power just to keep the battery live and kicking.

It depends on how the inverter is wired. If it is connected to entire/partly covering home, you may switch off the input to inverter and drain battery for some time and let it charge again.

107
1039
7
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Even 100ah is way more than the requirement if its just the router. If you decided to use the inverter, then 100ah is good to consider. On top of which I would suggest you to periodically use atleast 60% of the battery power just to keep the battery live and kicking.

It depends on how the inverter is wired. If it is connected to entire/partly covering home, you may switch off the input to inverter and drain battery for some time and let it charge again.

It is stand alone inverter .It is not connected to home. Earlier, we did not have generator, hence we bought this inverter.

I may go for 100ah as suggested by you.

107
1039
7
Expand
jvin982639 wrote:

If you only want it to keep wifi connection working during power outage then I suggest you to look for ups for router. It will cost you approx 1500.

I have a old (10 years) APC ups backup RS600 (but the battery is fully discharged). I will have to get the new battery for this one, If want to use this again for wifi router.

I guess, the battery would cost me >1000.

19
3211
23
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

It is stand alone inverter .It is not connected to home. Earlier, we did not have generator, hence we bought this inverter.

I may go for 100ah as suggested by you.

But frankly 100ah is an overkill for a 5 min wifi backup which hardly consumes a few milli-watts, and you end up having the inverter plugged in all time which consumes energy for no use.

Like you mentioned in the other post, the battery(from a decent brand) for UPS would not cost more than 1k.

50
323
2

Seems like your battery has gone into deep discharged state, in this case your inverter is not to able recharge the battery as it inverter can provide limited current in charging. You have to charge the battery with separate charger which can charge the battery higher than 5 ampere.
Troubleshoot :-
Make sure if your inverter is OK, as it can have fault in charging circuitry. If your inverter is charging battery, touch the battery body & see if the battery is warming, if not there may be fault in your inverter.
Check if the distilled water is enough;battery plates should be properly submerged.
Check also the battery terminals, sometime lose connection or formation of white crystals at the terminals cause issue in charging.

6
1335
5
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

I have a old (10 years) APC ups backup RS600 (but the battery is fully discharged). I will have to get the new battery for this one, If want to use this again for wifi router.

I guess, the battery would cost me >1000.

No, there is a new product in market which is small like power bank. Check this http://dl.flipkart.com/dl/srrk-technologies-tj1...

90
4482
162
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

You mean to say, I need to have SEPARATE recharger equipment to recharge the battery and then re-connect the battery with inverter?

Firstly was there minimum water before you topped up?
is the battery date more than 5 years?

If your answer is YES you need a new battery since a cell might have gone bad replacementis the only option.

If answers NO
Just top up water and connect.The inverter is also a charger. Let it charge for few hours then check if holding charge.

Don’t go by the nonsense videos on youtube to revive dead battery. None of them work.

107
1039
7
Mufasa wrote:

Seems like your battery has gone into deep discharged state, in this case your inverter is not to able recharge the battery as it inverter can provide limited current in charging. You have to charge the battery with separate charger which can charge the battery higher than 5 ampere.
Troubleshoot :-
Make sure if your inverter is OK, as it can have fault in charging circuitry. If your inverter is charging battery, touch the battery body & see if the battery is warming, if not there may be fault in your inverter.
Check if the distilled water is enough;battery plates should be properly submerged.
Check also the battery terminals, sometime lose connection or formation of white crystals at the terminals cause issue in charging.

The technician has taken the battery to his repair shop for recharge.

Not sure, whether he has done all these, but told me that the battery is not working after recharge with recharging equipment.

107
1039
7
Expand
andromeda wrote:

But frankly 100ah is an overkill for a 5 min wifi backup which hardly consumes a few milli-watts, and you end up having the inverter plugged in all time which consumes energy for no use.

Like you mentioned in the other post, the battery(from a decent brand) for UPS would not cost more than 1k.

I agree. I am planning to go for small battery for the APC ups.

107
1039
7
Expand
dharmanath481 wrote:

Firstly was there minimum water before you topped up?
is the battery date more than 5 years?

If your answer is YES you need a new battery since a cell might have gone bad replacementis the only option.

If answers NO
Just top up water and connect.The inverter is also a charger. Let it charge for few hours then check if holding charge.

Don’t go by the nonsense videos on youtube to revive dead battery. None of them work.

Yes, it is 4 years old battery. Technician suggested me to go for replacement of the battery.

90
4482
162
Expand
ramadesidime wrote:

Yes, it is 4 years old battery. Technician suggested me to go for replacement of the battery.

You hastes.

Now you are compelled to buy replacement from him.

He already knew it and tricked you.

Now get quotes from other shops and work out a better deal for yourself from him.

Looks like electricity goes off quite often when it’s dead in 4 years. So buy a new battery with longest warranty

Missing