Philips iron

61°
Deal Subedar
billubakra

Hi,

Is anyone using Philips iron? Bought the 1900 series few months back. It is auto cutting off after 6-8 seconds and I think its not heating the plate like it used to before. Maybe it’s the change of season, wanted to make sure before going to the service station which is like on the other side of the city.

Thanks

10 Comments  |  
6 Dimers
  • Sort By
Critic Critic
Link Copied

No idea about this case but I used to have a philips iron & I had to take it to service centre for a similar issue where it was not heating the plate at all though power indicator was somehow on I think.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
guest_999 wrote:

No idea about this case but I used to have a philips iron & I had to take it to service centre for a similar issue where it was not heating the plate at all though power indicator was somehow on I think.

Did they fix it? Only one centre in my city and the google reviews are pathetic.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied

I bought one Philips GC1905 in June 2016 and it is still serving well.

Link Copied

I have gc1920 and using it from last 4 years and never face any such issue.

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
billubakra wrote:

Did they fix it? Only one centre in my city and the google reviews are pathetic.

Yes they fixed it. Just like most brands service centre quality varies from city to city & even within same city(if multiple service centres of same brand).

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

which electric iron should i buy?any good offer?where u buy?

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
pugalia.kamalesh wrote:

which electric iron should i buy?any good offer?where u buy?

many relatives vouch by some of the anti crease (only steam nozel and release mech on plate is different) models of Philips (some of those models are or were back then not available in India).
I am forgetting what Philips calls them, but the front/top corner has slightly more holes and ease of use around buttons.
Something like these Azur range i think https://amazon.ae/dp/B07F4C88NF

I personally am indifferent but still feel that more than the wattage, the weight and technique of using the iron matters.

Father has preferred Black and Decker (now rebranded B+D or Black + Decker) for 15-18 years.

He prefers at-least 1800watts with no preference for weight of the iron.

Maa🤗 and me even make do with our old Spherehot (its steam mechanism/button is niw conked off. spring or the plastic thumb-press cap came undone).
Dad🙇🏻 even bought an overpriced Havells 😖🤦🏻‍♂ 4-5 years back (or maybe it was some useless favour to some relatove or known shop, i am not too sure).
He just did not find the steam release angles or placement of the steam holes when he first used it.
Total failure as a steam iron, as per him and still did not return nor spoke about it with the shopkeeper/ relative.

After keeping it idle for a few years, he🙇🏻 now uses it as a non steam🤦🏻‍♂ iron (uses a spray can/bottle for moisture).

Original (made in Europe or quality being good, even if Made in India) Black and Decker 1400-1440W steam irons are highly recommended. though if you are like my father, then go for 1700-1800W.

I have not gone through each reply indepth in this thread, but i doubt that Philips do not provide home visit during warranty.
I think they DO.
So purely from design aspect, quality and reliability too, Philips too shpuld be worth considering.

I would avoid Kenstar in India. Nor ever think of Bajaj, Murphy Richards type “brands”.
No idea about private labels from Amazon Flipkart either.

But safety and features wise as also reasonable and affordable after warranty repairswise 🖒Spherehot👍 in known desi brands and Black&Decker, Philips in desi’fied videshi brands.

Nokia phones sold in UAE often used to be India made, but unsure about B+D.
But even if China item, similar models can be physically check (or bought) off-line https://www.amazon.ae/about_1000INR_or_55AED_right_now/dp/B00EDKFW0G, https://www.amazon.ae/Black-Decker-Ceramic-Soleplate-Shut-Off/dp/B01N431B5R 🤔not too bad for 1000 or 2000 if available here too at same range. But all acrylic or plasticy body usually makes these light weight (our old Spherehot had/has steam function, but practically being metal body … it does not feel like a toy).

Link Copied
Expand
SP4 wrote:

many relatives vouch by some of the anti crease (only steam nozel and release mech on plate is different) models of Philips (some of those models are or were back then not available in India).
I am forgetting what Philips calls them, but the front/top corner has slightly more holes and ease of use around buttons.
Something like these Azur range i think https://amazon.ae/dp/B07F4C88NF

I personally am indifferent but still feel that more than the wattage, the weight and technique of using the iron matters.

Father has preferred Black and Decker (now rebranded B+D or Black + Decker) for 15-18 years.

He prefers at-least 1800watts with no preference for weight of the iron.

Maa🤗 and me even make do with our old Spherehot (its steam mechanism/button is niw conked off. spring or the plastic thumb-press cap came undone).
Dad🙇🏻 even bought an overpriced Havells 😖🤦🏻‍♂ 4-5 years back (or maybe it was some useless favour to some relatove or known shop, i am not too sure).
He just did not find the steam release angles or placement of the steam holes when he first used it.
Total failure as a steam iron, as per him and still did not return nor spoke about it with the shopkeeper/ relative.

After keeping it idle for a few years, he🙇🏻 now uses it as a non steam🤦🏻‍♂ iron (uses a spray can/bottle for moisture).

Original (made in Europe or quality being good, even if Made in India) Black and Decker 1400-1440W steam irons are highly recommended. though if you are like my father, then go for 1700-1800W.

I have not gone through each reply indepth in this thread, but i doubt that Philips do not provide home visit during warranty.
I think they DO.
So purely from design aspect, quality and reliability too, Philips too shpuld be worth considering.

I would avoid Kenstar in India. Nor ever think of Bajaj, Murphy Richards type “brands”.
No idea about private labels from Amazon Flipkart either.

But safety and features wise as also reasonable and affordable after warranty repairswise 🖒Spherehot👍 in known desi brands and Black&Decker, Philips in desi’fied videshi brands.

Nokia phones sold in UAE often used to be India made, but unsure about B+D.
But even if China item, similar models can be physically check (or bought) off-line https://www.amazon.ae/about_1000INR_or_55AED_right_now/dp/B00EDKFW0G, https://www.amazon.ae/Black-Decker-Ceramic-Soleplate-Shut-Off/dp/B01N431B5R 🤔not too bad for 1000 or 2000 if available here too at same range. But all acrylic or plasticy body usually makes these light weight (our old Spherehot had/has steam function, but practically being metal body … it does not feel like a toy).

Do you live outside India?
Which country’s domain is this .ae?

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
billubakra wrote:

Do you live outside India?
Which country’s domain is this .ae?

Hello Billoo🙂 https://www.animationxpress.com/latest-news/exc...

Nope, i live within Bharat🙇🏻 itself and hope my praan remains here even after it exits my body!

Not just one country, the AE (Arab Emirates) domains are commonly used by some MENA businesses (Middle East, North Africa).

Apologies for taking it slightly offtopic.
I hope that Philips products are not SOOO poorly designed as to fail just due to weather changes.
But then☹ it would mean that your unit has had a basic failure of some other component/s or mechanism.

Hope you do get an acceptable and timely resolution.

In such product range, even lesser brands provide site visits by their authorised technicians (even for a 600-700Rs product/ clothes iron) so hopefully you do not have to run from pillar to post.

Not casting aspersions on you, but we hope that the unit did not suffer any accidental jerk, falls or power spikes or ever got serviced/opened by untrained and/or unauthorised personnel/ end users?

As for water dripping from the soleplate during use or while stored away;
this (water dripping) has happened with us in almost ALL makes, brands.

as per policy, it is NEVER a good idea to leave dry cells/ batteries inside crucial appliances or residual water in steaming products/ irons.
In my childhood, i recollect how some family member got sad after their Yashica camera got spoiled from leaking batteries stored and unused over an extended period.

Same way, steam irons might clog the mechanism if steam settings are used at lower temperatures and water (instead of steam) ends up in the pathway.
Distilled water is usually not used in such items and tap water (hard water) does end up calcifying☹.

Not us, but we have relatives of relatives who do stay or stayed in UAE or elsewhere and even if they attend local marriage functions for a day or two; it is a must that either Aquafina or Kinley water is kept in their rooms🙄
so yes😄 some of those too have had the odd issue/defect with their Philips (at times they gifted to others).

Amazon, which made the UAE site live for customers in 2019 or 2020 has decent variety and pricing in such things, hence i put the links from  a single site only.
Mostly that 1750W Black and Decker (maybe other product links that i posted too) are exported from India itself (about Black and Decker irons, home appliances i am aware; they DO manufacture them completely in India).

Missing