PhonePe to PhonePe payment via QR code goes via UPI

128°
Deal Subedar
ontherocks

When I make a payment using PhonePe to a merchant using his PhonePe QR code, I have never, barring once, got the option to pay from the PhonePay wallet. It always goes through UPI. My money is stuck in the wallet because of this. Why is PhonePe to PhonePe not going via wallet?

14 Comments  |  
8 Dimers
  • Sort By
Pro Community Angel Pro Community Angel
Link Copied

Only selected merchant qrs accept phonepe wallet , find a merchant who does

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
androgame wrote:

Only selected merchant qrs accept phonepe wallet , find a merchant who does

Is there a way to know just by looking at the details mentioned in the QR code standee?

Pro Community Angel Pro Community Angel
Link Copied
Expand
ontherocks wrote:

Is there a way to know just by looking at the details mentioned in the QR code standee?

Nope confused

The Alpha The Alpha
Link Copied

Only few merchant QR codes accept from wallet
I noticed qr codes accepting from wallet only in petrol bunks/restaurants

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

I think it’s UPI code vs Bharat QR code…
UPI code will only have UPI as option
Bharat QR code have other options as well (PhonePe do not issue Bharat QR)

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Sudarshan61 wrote:

I think it’s UPI code vs Bharat QR code…
UPI code will only have UPI as option
Bharat QR code have other options as well (PhonePe do not issue Bharat QR)

I think I found the option to restrict accepting payments from wallets….or may be not.
Under My Profile, there is “My BHIM UPI ID”.
Inside it is a slider switch to turn ON or OFF the option “Use your PhonePe BHIM UPI ID as default for all BHIM UPI transactions on PhonePe”

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Sudarshan61 wrote:

I think it’s UPI code vs Bharat QR code…
UPI code will only have UPI as option
Bharat QR code have other options as well (PhonePe do not issue Bharat QR)

Nothing like that, it seems phonepe merchant acc has an option in settings to enable receiving payments via wallet & most don’t enable it probably because of higher charges/fraud transactions.
@ontherocks

Pro Shopping Friend Pro Shopping Friend
Link Copied

Buy amazon gv and utilise that balance.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

Nothing like that, it seems phonepe merchant acc has an option in settings to enable receiving payments via wallet & most don’t enable it probably because of higher charges/fraud transactions.
@ontherocks

What possible fraud transactions could there be in wallet-to-wallet transfer?
It feels bank-to-bank, transfers would incur more costs than wallet-to-wallet transfer.

Hold on…could be that merchants want the amounts directly in their bank account, rather than stuck in their wallet, in which case they would be in the same boat as me. And wallet to bank transfer would incur costs, but then merchant account should have some different transfer rates as compared to regular account, not sure if that would be higher (because he is carrying out business) or lower (to incentivize business) than regular accounts.

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
ontherocks wrote:

What possible fraud transactions could there be in wallet-to-wallet transfer?
It feels bank-to-bank, transfers would incur more costs than wallet-to-wallet transfer.

Hold on…could be that merchants want the amounts directly in their bank account, rather than stuck in their wallet, in which case they would be in the same boat as me. And wallet to bank transfer would incur costs, but then merchant account should have some different transfer rates as compared to regular account, not sure if that would be higher (because he is carrying out business) or lower (to incentivize business) than regular accounts.

In paytm, wallet to wallet transfer is more secure because receiving wallet must be full kyc but in case of phonepe there is no such thing as full kyc wallet so either phonepe charges much more for transferring from wallet to bank acc or merchants fear that wallet transactions will be easily disputed.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:

In paytm, wallet to wallet transfer is more secure because receiving wallet must be full kyc but in case of phonepe there is no such thing as full kyc wallet so either phonepe charges much more for transferring from wallet to bank acc or merchants fear that wallet transactions will be easily disputed.

TIL that wallet transactions can be disputed.
I would like to know how to do that. Is there some option in the app. Or do I need to go through customer care like credit cards?

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
ontherocks wrote:

TIL that wallet transactions can be disputed.
I would like to know how to do that. Is there some option in the app. Or do I need to go through customer care like credit cards?

I thought there is an option to dispute transactions in any wallet/upi app. Actually I was talking about the “merchant/business” versions of such apps like paytm/phonepe etc which have different options.

Missing