Price regarding Kindle

124°
Deal Subedar
Dealo

Hello Dimers,

I am getting a 2nd hand kindle for 2700 after all negotiations.

Kindle 7th generation paperwhite, 4 gb storage.
Purchase 3 years ago.

Is it right price to go for? What things should i check in kindle before purchasing? As i no idea regarding this.

Your help will be much appreciated.Thanks

20 Comments  |  
6 Dimers
  • Sort By
Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied

Plain vanilla Kindle and not Paperwhite? Others may have different opinion but I would definitely prefer the 300 PPI display of the latter.
After jailbreaking its easy to check the remaining battery capacity which is perhaps the only thing one needs to check.
Kindle batteries last pretty long. 3-5 years. Some folks have reported 500 cycle count in their 2014 Voyage. My 2+ year old device has only used up 19 battery cycles although I didn’t use it much in the first 1.5 years when no software jailbreak for the underlying firmware was available(battery drain during screen off is 0.04-0.06%/h and only 1.1%/h when screen is on). Only thing I can think that can play spoilsport is if it’s used under direct sunlight regularly. Even when ambient temps. didn’t exceed early thirties the battery in my Kindle PW3 reached 48°C in less than an hour in the aforementioned scenario. High temps. degrade battery life rather quickly. Amazon doesn’t sell replacement batteries anywhere. With the ban on Aliexpress sourcing even half-decent replacements is difficult.
Check the firmware version. If it’s older than 5.13.x should be trivial to jailbreak. Jailbreaking is easy, stable and brings several nice benefits.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
LIMBO wrote:

Plain vanilla Kindle and not Paperwhite? Others may have different opinion but I would definitely prefer the 300 PPI display of the latter.
After jailbreaking its easy to check the remaining battery capacity which is perhaps the only thing one needs to check.
Kindle batteries last pretty long. 3-5 years. Only thing I can think that can play spoilsport is if it’s used under direct sunlight regularly. Even when ambient temps. didn’t exceed early thirties the battery in my Kindle PW3 reached 48°C in less than an hour in the aforementioned scenario. High temps. degrade battery life rather quickly. Amazon doesn’t sell replacement batteries anywhere. With the ban on Aliexpress sourcing even half-decent replacements is difficult.
Check the firmware version. If it’s older than 5.13.x should be trivial to jailbreak. Jailbreaking is easy, stable and brings several nice benefits.

Thanks, it’s paperwhite white.How to check ppi display? I am not very tech savvy, since i am buying from olx i guess i can’t do jail break in front of buyer to check battery status.

So should i go for it for 2700 or not?

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Expand
Dealo wrote:

Thanks, it’s paperwhite white.How to check ppi display? I am not very tech savvy, since i am buying from olx i guess i can’t do jail break in front of buyer to check battery status.

So should i go for it for 2700 or not?

7th gen. PW has a 300 PPI display. For 2700 I guess it’s OK. Ask the seller in a roundabout way if it was used much outdoors or not? Also the current firmware version it’s running.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

7th gen. PW has a 300 PPI display. For 2700 I guess it’s OK. Ask the seller in a roundabout way if it was used much outdoors or not? Also the current firmware version it’s running.

Ok, let me ask him

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

7th gen. PW has a 300 PPI display. For 2700 I guess it’s OK. Ask the seller in a roundabout way if it was used much outdoors or not? Also the current firmware version it’s running.

It’s filmware version is kindle 5.13.4

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Expand
Dealo wrote:

It’s filmware version is kindle 5.13.4

That’s unfortunate. Last supported version was 5.13.3!

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

That’s unfortunate. Last supported version was 5.13.3!

So should i take pruchase this at this price? Or look for another one?
I read some book daily but only for 10-15 min as i always gets distracted by mobile.So wanted to try with kindle

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Dealo wrote:

@LIMBO @neo13 @panchabhut @noobDealer Tagging you since you have commented in earlier kindle posts. Thanks

As long as it is paperwhite you can go for it. The only thing to look for is battery and others have written about it. But as you can’t jailbreak it, just ask him how many days it lasts and then go for it.

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Expand
Dealo wrote:

So should i take pruchase this at this price? Or look for another one?
I read some book daily but only for 10-15 min as i always gets distracted by mobile.So wanted to try with kindle

I guess it’s worth it. Before buying a Kindle I used to read ebooks on my mobiles with zero issues. Jailbreak was a must for me. But the refurb that I had bought was on an unsupported firmware and I had given up hope on a jailbreak being available. It was only earlier this year that a security hole was made public which was then exploited to accomplish the jailbreak.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
neo13 wrote:

As long as it is paperwhite you can go for it. The only thing to look for is battery and others have written about it. But as you can’t jailbreak it, just ask him how many days it lasts and then go for it.

Okay, thanks

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

I guess it’s worth it. Before buying a Kindle I used to read ebooks on my mobiles with zero issues. Jailbreak was a must for me. But the refurb that I had bought was on an unsupported firmware and I had given up hope on a jailbreak being available. It was only earlier this year that a security hole was made public which was then exploited to accomplish the jailbreak.

Okay, thanks bro.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

I have the exact same model. Paid around ₹7K in 2016 (Black Friday). Battery life is still great, I charge it every fortnight. Books are competitively priced on the estore. Also if you don’t want to jailbreak, you can use calibre to download epubs and convert/transfer to your device. Also the Kindle Unlimited program is discounted several times a year.

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied

Several Kindle models don’t boot if the original battery has degraded to unusable levels or it has been replaced with a third-party one.
The solution “The Paperwhite 3 starts without problems without batteries. Just add a 100k resistor pretending to be a temperature sensor. This applies to all kindle with 3-pin batteries.” is beyond my abilities.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Chudiya wrote:

I have the exact same model. Paid around ₹7K in 2016 (Black Friday). Battery life is still great, I charge it every fortnight. Books are competitively priced on the estore. Also if you don’t want to jailbreak, you can use calibre to download epubs and convert/transfer to your device. Also the Kindle Unlimited program is discounted several times a year.

Is it worth it at the price given you have used it for 5 years?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
Dealo wrote:

Is it worth it at the price given you have used it for 5 years?

Yes. They’re built pretty well. Mind you though they’re almost impossible to repair though if anything goes wrong. Inspect it for signs of damage especially the screen.

Delhi Capitals Delhi Capitals
Link Copied

@Chudiya aapka naam bada tangy hai stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye btw isska mtlab kya hai, asking for general knowledge stuck_out_tongue

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Jai_ wrote:

@Chudiya aapka naam bada tangy hai stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye btw isska mtlab kya hai, asking for general knowledge stuck_out_tongue

It means bangles.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

A kindle purchased in 2017 (8th gen) 4gb wifi model.. How mich should i get if it is a second hand(used)

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied

Looks like even an e-ink display can cause eye strain if the ambient lighting is improper. I recently returned to reading ebooks after a fairly long gap. During nights I used to switch off the overhead lighting and depend only that provided by a table lamp. After a few days of intensive reading my eyelids had become swollen and definitely tender to the touch. Last such occurrence was over a decade ago when I used to read in complete darkness on my LCD mobile but with dark mode activated. Anyway the issue went away after keeping the overhead lights on.

replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply