[Query-Resolved] MNP process to transfer ownership workarouds

122°
Analyst
andromeda

Guys, here is the situation.

My brother’s sim card is with me as he is abroad. The sim card stops working randomly/intermittently -> the solution is to get a new SIM card. The connection is prepaid. The sim operators deny to issue a new sim unless the sim owner comes forward. I mean I cannot get a new replacement SIM on his behalf.

I’m thinking to initiate a port SMS, and submit the port code and my documents with new operator. This would enable be get a new sim card without the previou owner being present. While I’m against this kind of jumla, I don’t see any way out. Did any one try this or any one see any issue going forward with change in owner name?

Thanks in advance.

Expired
27 Comments  |  
14 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

If your brother don’t have any problem then go ahead and do it

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

No issue…as long as you can generate the MNP Code all good. 

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
MasterAnimesh wrote:

If your brother don’t have any problem then go ahead and do it

He doesn’t, I’m just concerned about the possible SIM loss in case things go wrong in the last moment.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Sudarshan61 wrote:

No issue…as long as you can generate the MNP Code all good. 

Yes can generate. Thank you for confirming

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

Yes you can do ,I have done this for my mother
Changed from father name idea Sim to mother’s name jio Sim .

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

He doesn’t, I’m just concerned about the possible SIM loss in case things go wrong in the last moment.

What will go wrong .
You just need port code

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
MasterAnimesh wrote:

What will go wrong .
You just need port code

Any idea if I can submit the port code in a different circle?  I mean original sim card is from Vodafone Karnataka, now intend to get from Airtel Andhra Pradesh

@Alexios

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Any idea if I can submit the port code in a different circle?  I mean original sim card is from Vodafone Karnataka, now intend to get from Airtel Andhra Pradesh

@Alexios

No issues unless it’s bloody BSNL.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Not problem at all, just port it out with your document, nobody will ask you about owner that number. Give port request to retailer not through store. They might question you about its owner.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Any idea if I can submit the port code in a different circle?  I mean original sim card is from Vodafone Karnataka, now intend to get from Airtel Andhra Pradesh

@Alexios

Yes you can port anywhere in india

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Mufasa wrote:

Not problem at all, just port it out with your document, nobody will ask you about owner that number. Give port request to retailer not through store. They might question you about its owner.

Just curious, how will retailer (local shops around) or store(official network folks) know who is the previous owner

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Bro,Don’t visit store. They will question random things and atlast reject porting.
Instead goto chatrivala guys with port code and get your work done along with offers sunglasses

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Any idea if I can submit the port code in a different circle?  I mean original sim card is from Vodafone Karnataka, now intend to get from Airtel Andhra Pradesh

@Alexios

Not sure about this but I think it is possible and shouldn’t be a problem unless you have a local address proof.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
Alexios wrote:

Not sure about this but I think it is possible and shouldn’t be a problem unless you have a local address proof.

Yes I don’t see any issue here except for the address proof which is anyway ensured. I wanted to hear if anyone has done it and if there any troubled path we should stay away from

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Yes I don’t see any issue here except for the address proof which is anyway ensured. I wanted to hear if anyone has done it and if there any troubled path we should stay away from

Then no issues, just go to any local shop and give upc code and your documents. It will be changed in your name. Anyway they can’t see previous owner details or whether it was you or someone else. Only company has the details and it is alright for them.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

You ’ll not face any issue.

Also, if you want, you can do MNP by yourself at your home ! And that too at lesser price than store/retailer.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Kaptan wrote:

You ’ll not face any issue.

Also, if you want, you can do MNP by yourself at your home ! And that too at lesser price than store/retailer.

Just want to be clear on the possibility. Thank you!

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
MasterAnimesh wrote:

Yes you can port anywhere in india

Wow, I didn’t know this that we can port anywhere

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Different question: My prepaid SIM also belongs to my father. Can we go to the store and get it changed to my name? I think it’s only allowed in postpaid connection, someone on Twitter was complaining about it.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
saxena_ wrote:

Different question: My prepaid SIM also belongs to my father. Can we go to the store and get it changed to my name? I think it’s only allowed in postpaid connection, someone on Twitter was complaining about it.

Prepaid is also allowed, but the documentation/process may be little messy.

Perfectionist Perfectionist
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Prepaid is also allowed, but the documentation/process may be little messy.

It’s not allowed. Store denied me
Told to convert to postpaid and them back to prepaid

Better option is to port out and port back

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
avgn wrote:

It’s not allowed. Store denied me
Told to convert to postpaid and them back to prepaid

Better option is to port out and port back

Ok, most may not believe. but this is what I saw when I went to BSNL for port-in of my secondary connection.

There came a customer who wanted to change the name on prepaid connection. She was informed some good amount of documentation, and it will be done after that. This is with BSNL. I comfortably assumed if BSNL can do it, so can others.

Pro Tech Guru Pro Tech Guru
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Ok, most may not believe. but this is what I saw when I went to BSNL for port-in of my secondary connection.

There came a customer who wanted to change the name on prepaid connection. She was informed some good amount of documentation, and it will be done after that. This is with BSNL. I comfortably assumed if BSNL can do it, so can others.

Yes. SIM ownership change is allowed in case of blood relatives but trust the greedy telcos to exploit it as well.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
avgn wrote:

It’s not allowed. Store denied me
Told to convert to postpaid and them back to prepaid

Better option is to port out and port back

All telco outlets force customers to get postpaid as they earn comission on it. They won’t give customer prepaid connection at all giving all sorts of excuses like prepaid sim isn’t available etc.

Best is to get porting done from roadside authorised (where company employee, not 3rd party retailers ) stall sells sim.

I have ported my mother’s as well as my aunt’s sim in my name just because I didn’t want to take extra efforts to personally get then to stalls.

Only thing you need is porting code. And porting of prepaid is easiest thing. For postpaid you have to plan according to billing cycle to avoid payment issues.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

@andromeda
Any update bro? I am in a similar dilemma except Simcard is abroad and with VI network and want to move to a cheaper BSNL validity.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
TempAcc wrote:

@andromeda
Any update bro? I am in a similar dilemma except Simcard is abroad and with VI network and want to move to a cheaper BSNL validity.

You need a porting code irrespective of where the sim location is. I have another month to get into this, but it looks straight forward if you have the port code

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

No issue you can change operator mnp with different document

replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply