Solar battery, should i get 150ah or 200 ah

145°
Deal Lieutenant
jitz

I’m planning to upgrade my inverter battery to c10.
Is it good to go for 150ah or 200 ah battery.
Its a 24 volt system, 2.5kva mppt system, which supports upto 50 percent dod

15600 for 150 ah
22600 for 200 ah.

Both 60m warranty.

I assume 200 ah means im getting more backup.

I’m in bangalore, where daily there is about 3-4 hrs powercut.
Solar is already installed, but if Backup allows, i would switch off grid so that all power is drawn from inverter, else the charging power is too high (right now there is no reduction in bill since day time there is powercut and once sun goes down, power comes back and it charges from grid. 4 yr old battery )

Grid will be used mainly for ac/induction and water motor.

12 Comments  |  
9 Dimers
  • Sort By
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Yes 200 Ah means more power storage capacity roughly 33% more.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

4 hours power cut in Bangalore everyday!? Why?

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

Its close to/ is a rural area. Bescom is crazy here. Its near the transmission corp, may be cos of that.
I have no idea why. there are other 500+ residents here.
No one has much issue than poking nose in neighbors affairs. Ur news paper falls in neighbors area, they start yelling. Bescom cuts power , no issue.

Never ive seen anyone complaining.
But i can’t take it anymore. My refrigerator is suffering, everything gets rotten in a day or 2.

Its real, Min 2 hrs, max 6 or 7 hours. Everyday.

Inspite of having this, elect Bill is increasing every month, because charging starts from 6pm. Full load on the inverter transformer for 1 hr till full charge.

Firestorm Firestorm
Link Copied

Smarten 2.5kva mppt lene wala ho to Exide c10 24V 200Ah hi Lena chahiye. 1000w se jyada panel hoga to battery high amp se charging hoga bulk stage me . Exide c10 support upto 20% charging .

Critic Critic
Link Copied

@andromeda

Tech Guru Tech Guru
Link Copied

I’m little confused.

You can use solar energy to reduce the load on grid(electricity bill) provided the solar source is at its best. But with intermittent sun/ UV energy (atleast in Bangalore), I see a bottle neck here.

But if you are using solar just to charge the battery and use it during evening/night hours, it will reduce the electricity bills. You also have power outages to deal with. In such cases, you cannot really expect savings on your electricity bills, instead it will go high as the battery is hungry in the evenings. Unfortunately you do not have solar support and battery charges from grid, so you will eventually see no change or increase in bills.

Going for 200ah will being in additional backup time, but at the same time if you consume the power, it will be more hungry than 150ah.

View 2 more replies
Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

bought 2 excid 200ah c10 batteries. connected it in series, takes about 8 hours to charge from  800w panel.

thanks for all the inputs.

my consumption used to be 8 units a day on average , now its less than 2.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

on a side note, i see that the cost of 200ah is proportionately a bit higher as compared to 150ah, but its marginal, but again it should be somewhere around 20k only, so would suggest to negotiate it better and get 200ah only.

edit: read the last comment late, so what was the final cost of each battery? and the panels?

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

how much did the on-grid system cost you? @jitz

Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

Get as much high capacity you can afford, so based on this I’d recommend 200ah. 

replyuser
Click here to reply