Traffic Camera : Functioning knowledge

177°
Deal Cadet
Bharatwasi

First of all , I am a law abiding citizen and I do not break traffic signals.

Hey Techie Dimers ,

Need help /knowledge regarding Traffic cameras installed in Delhi:

1) Distance range from which speed camera measures the vehicle speed.
2) Can they measure speed in all lanes of road or specifically measures the speed in lane where it is present.
3) Any way to crosscheck and get notice revoked for traffic violation( Delhi Police not replying on email ).

19 Comments  |  
8 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

I wouldn’t care about the cameras installed in the city. Way too much population to track+I don’t think that they are using ai to track number plates.
About highways, I would repeat your first line.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Hey guys any help would be appreciated. With new cameras coming every week Driving In Delhi is like “Bach ke rahna re baba”.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

cousin just received fine of 2000 yesterday for over speeding in Delhi. just drive in left most lane and they won’t catch. also if your car is not Delhi registered then no need to take much headache as the fine is only available on Delhi traffic website and not national website, so there won’t be any problem in future. I know a few people having more than 50k challans for same. one time a friend even got challan for speed of 48kmph (speed limit was 45 there stuck_out_tongue ).

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
importedpikachu583 wrote:

cousin just received fine of 2000 yesterday for over speeding in Delhi. just drive in left most lane and they won’t catch. also if your car is not Delhi registered then no need to take much headache as the fine is only available on Delhi traffic website and not national website, so there won’t be any problem in future. I know a few people having more than 50k challans for same. one time a friend even got challan for speed of 48kmph (speed limit was 45 there stuck_out_tongue ).

Did you know the speed displayed in never equal to true speed of the vehicle? And the one measured with speed gun is always true speed without any offsets unless the measuring device has huge offset.

A colleague of mine in US claims he never got a ticket although he is doing at little more than limit. He was in the opinion that the cops usually cut some slack, but in reality the true speed of vehicle is atleast 10% less than what is being displayed.

More reading: https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.11827.200...

Pro Blogger Pro Blogger
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Did you know the speed displayed in never equal to true speed of the vehicle? And the one measured with speed gun is always true speed without any offsets unless the measuring device has huge offset.

A colleague of mine in US claims he never got a ticket although he is doing at little more than limit. He was in the opinion that the cops usually cut some slack, but in reality the true speed of vehicle is atleast 10% less than what is being displayed.

More reading: https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.11827.200...

Doppler effect???

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

Did you know the speed displayed in never equal to true speed of the vehicle? And the one measured with speed gun is always true speed without any offsets unless the measuring device has huge offset.

A colleague of mine in US claims he never got a ticket although he is doing at little more than limit. He was in the opinion that the cops usually cut some slack, but in reality the true speed of vehicle is atleast 10% less than what is being displayed.

More reading: https://archive.org/details/gov.in.is.11827.200...

whatever it is, my point is if challan is not handed to you directly in hand, don’t worry much about it. As these things can be challenged. for proof they upload picture but picture just shows that your car passed from here and it is not a actual proof of overspeed.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
importedpikachu583 wrote:

whatever it is, my point is if challan is not handed to you directly in hand, don’t worry much about it. As these things can be challenged. for proof they upload picture but picture just shows that your car passed from here and it is not a actual proof of overspeed.

I’m just referring to your last point about the overspeed issue. My comment is merely an information on how it is seen.

Pro Blogger Pro Blogger
Link Copied
Expand
andromeda wrote:

You mean the technology in the speed gun? May be, I’m not sure.

Doppler effect is responsible for the offset in speed measurement. 🙂🙂🙂 They use laser guns, right???

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
bikidas2060 wrote:

Doppler effect is responsible for the offset in speed measurement. 🙂🙂🙂 They use laser guns, right???

Offset is included in the speed displayed, the manufacturers always display a speed value more than the true speed to trick the human brain behind the wheel.

Doppler effect or laser could be the technology in the speed gun to determine the true speed.

So to illustrate if you see speed of 50kmph, your actual speed could be 45kmph. Likewise if you are doing at 55, then the speed gun will see about 49.5, which is less than the speed limit (say 50). No challan and still the user thinks he got lucky.

PS: I’ve tested this speed difference quite a lot of times in my car, although never note the exact difference.

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Censuresh wrote:

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experienc...
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=c...

The apps indicating the speed guns, road blocks, accidents, cops are in use in USA, UK. Those apps do reward people who mark the above mentioned presence, fellow travelers unmark if they are not found. Google maps bought one such app in US, and merged it with apps, killing the USPs.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Received this message today:

Traffic violations by your Vehicle No.: DLXXXXXX found actionable vide challan No.39144881. Click https://vcourts....in to see details and may pay fine of Rs.1000.00/-

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Checked it and found it was redlight jumping. I am pretty sure that I have not jumped redlight. As far I remember and also shown in image in challan I was waiting at redlight a little ahead of stopline. Should I contest the challan in Vcourt(No idea how it is done) or should I pay fine of 1000 INR to close the matter.

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Bharatwasi wrote:

Checked it and found it was redlight jumping. I am pretty sure that I have not jumped redlight. As far I remember and also shown in image in challan I was waiting at redlight a little ahead of stopline. Should I contest the challan in Vcourt(No idea how it is done) or should I pay fine of 1000 INR to close the matter.

I would suggest pay and close the matter, on contesting it depends on judge’s mood and he may slap more and waste your full day. and you yourself were ahead of line, so it is offence as well

BTW, which area you are getting so much challan.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
vicks619 wrote:

I would suggest pay and close the matter, on contesting it depends on judge’s mood and he may slap more and waste your full day. and you yourself were ahead of line, so it is offence as well

BTW, which area you are getting so much challan.

Delhi University

Missing