What is 100% Sustainably Sourced Cocoa written on the pack of Cadbury Chocolates ?

141°
Deal Lieutenant
Best_Deal_Hu...
100% Sustainably Sourced Cocoa

Any idea what is "100% Sustainably Sourced Cocoa"?

100% Sustainably Sourced Cocoa

Expired
11 Comments  |  
7 Dimers
  • Sort By
Generous Generous
Link Copied

Its about sustainable cocoa agriculture practices... They provide resources to cocoa farmers for better cocoa production, decrease deforestation, which overall increases farmer incomes (that's what they say in their media letters). Most important thing is sustainable agriculture does not involve child labour... But what I think is most important factor here is that the cocoa is traceable... meaning companies can trace which cocoa is coming to their factories from which farm.

But these companies like Cadbury & Nestle are big corporations; and are not really here for public service or farmer benefits. They do have ulterior motives behind as well for their own profits, which are often disguised as farmer benefits in a word play. Quite possible that when a company provides help to farmers for cocoa platation, they'll restrict farmers ability to sell it to anyone in open market. For once it may sound very reasonable at first, but is not the case always. If the company does not buy from the farmer, the produce is stuck with farmer. Like in the PepsiCo case (Kuruganti v/s PepsiCo India), it is ultimately found that PepsiCo provides better quality potato seeds to farmers but then restricts farmers ability to save, use, sow, resow, exchange, share or sell their farm produce. Whereas in media articles, they say that their restrictions on their seed variety is in order to safeguard the interests of thousands of farmers who grow the variety in contract with the company, through its 'collaborative farming programme'. You see, this is all a word game.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

It is written to make it more palatable to socially conscious consumers.

Or at-least the ones who consider themselves as one!

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

I eat mithais. 

Rest all is name game

Tech Guru Tech Guru
Link Copied

The court ruled 8-1 that the group had no standing because the abuse happened outside the US. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-57...86

😂😂😂 

View 3 more replies
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
@atx88 Very well put.
However there might be slight deviation in the understanding.
I am unsure of cocoa in particular... but in general.. 'child labour' is not THE MOST crucial part of the 'sustainability' initiative.

It is mostly environmental concerns.. that sustainable agriculture or other initiatives seek to address.

So in our interactions within various industries.. (some of) the take out were..
■ Reducing dependence on subsoil water. Or at-least not abusing it.
■ Letting aquifers replenish and completely avoid exploiting the same.
■ Crop/ soil rotation. The technical term slips my memory at the moment. But at times it even entails leaving the land alone for a whole season, to replenish itself.
■ Obviously better means for those involved in agri and ancillary industries too is a touch point. Including letting go of avoidable blunders and ensuring humane working conditions.

Here, even stuff like the Rana Plaza tragedy and the exposé of the beauty and cosmetics industry w.r.t. child labour in Mica mining do come in.
■ Reforestation efforts too are a major part of sustainability initiatives for fibre, timber and many such industries with a direct impact on vegetation.
■ Tanneries, certain food processing or beverage making industries too get more backward integrated in water management and reuse of effluent discharge within the unit.
However honestly.. I am yet to see any such project achieving even half as much.. as it set out to keep our water bodies safe or at-least not add to the mess.
‎ ‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‏‏ ‎ ‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‏‏ ‎ ‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‏‏ ‎ ‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‏‏ ‎ ‏‏‎‏‏‎ ‏‏》By no meaning are these points comprehensive. In-fact I might not understand even half of what truly constitutes 'sustainable agriculture and procurement.《
@Best_Deal_Hunter
In one such interaction with someone within the Aditya Vikram Birla group.. we got introduced to their facilities which make the 'Birla Excel' yarn, Liva Reviva fibre.. and some of the fabric which was eventually to be used for their brands like 'Livaeco'.

I have to admit, that some of these initiatives which these large corporates claim.. aren't just on paper.
A lot does go into remaining profitable while trying to continually reduce the impact on other flora and fauna species.

Needless to say, Birla Excel and the actual consumer use brands like ☞☛https://livaeco.com☚☜ were way outside the range of the modest budget.. someone like me had.

The thing with sustainable sourcing is.. that it is not piecemeal.
One cannot simply go to Guangzhou, Vapi, Rajkot, Dhaka Valsad, Saigon, Tiruppur or Karachi》 get the stuff made》 come back and sell it elsewhere.

For cocoa plantations and allied sourcing too.. this applies.
Those engagements, associations and co-dependencies can stretch for decades on end.

The resources blocked and deployed over time have financial costs, other limitations too.
Financial costs often get passed on to the consumers.

But at-least there is a silver lining.
That Homo sapiens are striving to have a neutral or positive impact on other species and the planet as a whole.
Generous Generous
Link Copied
True, I agree.

Its just that the rich western liberals & intellectuals don't really care about environment as much as they speak about child labour. They don't really care about children of third world countries too, its just that child labour is lot more spoken of on all such public platforms as compared to environment. And that is one of the things these companies try to address with such initiatives on paper, at least, in most vocal type.
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

just some big words to increase price

replyuser
Click here to reply