Why is my chrome redirecting to a website directly when I open it in my laptop?

100°
Deal Cadet
50
111
1

When I open Chrome in my laptop, it is directly redirecting to a news website called ‘hi.ru’. How can I stop my chrome from redirecting to that website when I open it?

Please help.

17 Comments  |  
14 Dimers
  • Sort By
210
7169
62
Kartikpanjala wrote:

When I open Chrome in my laptop, it is directly redirecting to a news website called ‘hi.ru’. How can I stop my chrome from redirecting to that website when I open it?

Please help.

Check new tab settings in Chrome Settings

50
152
1

Might be malware. Scan with windows defender or Malwarebytes.

221
4409
28

Go to properties on the chrome shortcut. Remove anything that is present after double quotes in the target field

https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/678846/medium/75530632021-04-17-20-29-29-Google-Chrome-Properties.png?1618671726

504
30170
328

Uninstall & Re-install the browser
Make sure you delete chrome data before reinstalling it
C:\Users\NameOfTheUser\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\
( Windows )

84
311
3

Same happened with my android phone
It’s because of malware
I don’t remember name of app that I installed to clean the malware present in the phone

144
1285
7

Oh man, this reminded me of the good old days when my browser was infected by one of these sweet malwares; tried every possible thing that I knew that time to get rid of it and wasted a good amount of time; moral of the story was that always make sure to uncheck those additional checkboxes while installing any software.
For the fix, follow what @getready and @andromeda have suggested;

50
111
1
andromeda wrote:

Go to properties on the chrome shortcut. Remove anything that is present after double quotes in the target field

https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/678846/medium/75530632021-04-17-20-29-29-Google-Chrome-Properties.png?1618671726

Hey, did this, however its still redirecting to the same website

50
111
1
Expand
manikantaks4u wrote:

Check new tab settings in Chrome Settings

Hey, can u plz elaborate on how to do this

221
4409
28
Expand
Kartikpanjala wrote:

Hey, did this, however its still redirecting to the same website

Follow what @getready mentioned, that’s a sure shot way.

But I would suggest another intermediate action to do. After uninstalling chrome, run a scan with malwarebytes, and then install chrome

476
4370
52

Your system is infected. Its a malware that originated in Russia.

674
5212
57

For future reference, whenever facing any such issue then immediately download & install malwarebytes free version & scan the pc.
https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-dow...d/

Also download & install a good antivirus(good free ones are avira free version, avast free version, bitdefender free version, kaspersky free version) & scan the pc. If planning on doing banking transactions on such pc then the safest & most recommended way is to format C drive & reinstall windows.

111
890
4

Birus (virus/adware)

203
2469
135

change laptop

0
2966
25

Check if you have recently downloaded any chrome extension software (offline installer which includes these malwares) or search engine.

1000% malware.

Solution as mentioned by @getready
And for future protection/precautions follow as mentioned by @guest_999

2,110
8667
84
Moderator
getready wrote:

Uninstall & Re-install the browser
Make sure you delete chrome data before reinstalling it
C:\Users\NameOfTheUser\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\
( Windows )

Do a malware/ spyware scan after doing all this.

A brief guide.. 

91
39617
641
Kartikpanjala wrote:

When I open Chrome in my laptop, it is directly redirecting to a news website called ‘hi.ru’. How can I stop my chrome from redirecting to that website when I open it?

Please help.

https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/678849/original/7553340image.jpg

Missing