Hot Deal

Wikipedia asking for rs rs150 donation

321°
Deal Subedar
CaShBaCkUnLi...

https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/628757/medium/Screenshot_20200803-095552-1.jpg?1596428896

27 Comments  |  
17 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Double check if you want to donate now.
Left community is using it as per their whims.
Even co founder of wiki has accepted that Wikipedia is no more neutral.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/wikipedia-co-foun...

Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied

Nothing new in this..happens every year ..everywhere
Not the info worth sharing!
If someone visiting/uses wiki more often, they will donate (after seeing the banner*) others won’t
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-interse...

Edit: The purpose of this donation campaign is to make WIKIPEDIA Ad-Free as long as possible. So people (WIKI’s target audience) who visit the website (only them*) will donate iff they think its worth donating it..obviously the ones who don’t use WIKI or don’t mind if the site is << Ad-free or not >> will ignore it.

Link Copied

Really?? Every year And everywhere??

View 7 more replies
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

I paid. If Wikipedia and Google isn’t worth to you, I think you are not worth shit to the Internet.

Link Copied

I also paiď for wiki irrespective of fact, they are doing a lots of thing which shount not be supported / funded by them. But also at same time we cant deny they are doing great for society.

Kindly go through yearly financial report, u will know the fact.

Critic Critic
Link Copied

They should run ad compaigns

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied

You asked the right question.

Adsense is governed by Google policy so contents displayed has to be as per their guidelines only. Even advertises can object to contents.

If they don’t like some important information they will block adsense account and force wiki to delete the contents to reactivate.

No ads no revenue, those so called intellectuals (rather people with no work) will pounce and make fun and bad publicity.
So best is stay away from it and be independent … Agreed?

View 1 more reply
Critic Critic
Link Copied

Strength of a medium like Wikipedia is it’s ability to make news/articles available for masses. It’ll do well to keep itself away from opinions, ‘positive manipulations’.

There is hardly a news channel which actually shows news (even abroad), they mostly churn out opinionated garbage. BBC did telecast news for a long time whereas CNN is mostly about propaganda.

It’s quiet difficult to remain objective & neutral if one has an opinion about everything. Telecast news & let viewers form their own opinion if they care.

Critic Critic
Link Copied

I don’t watch news channels at all, I just read print editions of newspapers(mainly ToI). I do read news articles online but I filter out all the unnecessary stuff & only focus on basic.e.g.there was a lot of hullabaloo about Rafael deal with allegations of 50-55k Cr scam but I gave no attention to this simply because around same time BSNL posted accumulated losses of Rs.90000 Cr & no opposition party(especially Congress) made even a fraction of noise they were making over Rafael deal as if the rupees allegedly lost in Rafael deal were somehow more precious than rupees lost by BSNL. This shows the duplicity of opposition parties irrespective of whether there was a loss of money in Rafael deal or not & unlike BSNL losses which were just written off in an accounting book entry, Rafael deal did at least get us fighter planes which can actually fly & fight(even if supposedly at a higher cost).

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

@cadence The neutrality of media organisations is quickly becoming a thing of the past. Less news and more opinion is in precedence nowadays. Above all, the absence of diverse Op-eds in mainstream news outlets is hurting journalism the most.

Here’s what Bari Weiss wrote regarding her resignation from “The New York Times” :

“A new consensus has emerged in the press, but perhaps especially at this paper: that truth isn’t a process of collective discovery, but an orthodoxy already known to an enlightened few whose job is to inform everyone else.”

From Tucker Carlson’s monologues to John Oliver’s assessment there’s always a big vacuum where both don’t want to wander into during their respective coverage of the same news. Anyone, being a rational, can easily see the bias.

There is still some folks left in journalism that care for the truth and do not get swayed by what they themselves feel is ‘right’. Unfortunately, the portals/organizations that gives them the space are financially fragile. The decision to financially support any individual/organisation should always be a personal choice. 

Critic Critic
Link Copied

Succinctly summarised by Bari Weiss. Thanks for sharing!

One still has the option to wade through opinions to search for ‘pure’ news but it requires time & patience. Earlier I used to read Reuters feed now I’ve simply reduced the time set aside for news. I’ve allocated that time to slowly learn about renewable sources of energy..

Critic Critic
Link Copied

Doesn’t matter, just ask yourself honestly how much wikipedia is worth to you. If you feel it is worth donating 10 rupees then donate 10 rupees, if you feel like donating 100 rupees then donate 100 rupees. If you use wikipedia regularly & also order pizza regularly or eat outside then I think it is fair to drop a pizza order or eating outside once & donate that amount/Rs.100 to wikipedia. You can even drop eating a maggi(which costs Rs.12) & donate that amount to wikipedia if you think that is fair enough for you visiting wikipedia 2-3 times a week. I visit wikipedia regularly & I also eat maggi regularly so donating ~Rs.50 is no issues for me but considering I have never donated anything to wikipedia till now I think 100 or even 150 is a fair amount after which I will probably won’t donate to wikipedia unless it is at risk of shutting down.

Generous Generous
Link Copied

dimers need Wikipedia loot .

Generous Generous
Link Copied

wikipedia sud instead be taking the money from all those ads , ublock origin is powerfull enough to block all ads while wikipedia can enjoy money from fools

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

thanks for that thread. really insightful even though I have some idea regarding the same

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

@dharmanath481 you are talking about unbiased about satyahindi. Please note founder of this channel is AAP politician Ashutosh. You mentioned Modi Ads. By mentioning this, you are getting biased now. So you are kind of hypocrite person.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

one thing I noticed. If I search for “prayagraj” ,Wikipedia shows Allahabad. It should have been edited to prayagraj with something on the lines like “prayagraj formerly known as allahabad” but that’s not the case.
Link: shorturl.at/dtKOY

While when I search for Burma or swaziland, Wikipedia shows Myanmar and Eswatini respectively which is correct. Don’t know why this discrepancy when the name change to Prayagraj has been done around 2 years back.
links: shorturl.at/foqyQ
shorturl.at/fwDKS

Note: My comment is regarding information that is being shown on Wikipedia and not regarding if City name needs to be changed or not

replyuser
Click here to reply