Hot Deal

Your favourite TV channels may cost more

452°
Perfectionist
avgn

https://www.thehindubusinessline.com/news/your-...

Subscribers of paid TV channels accessed through cable operators and DTH service providers will have to pay more for some of the popular channels with broadcasters announcing new tariff plans under the New Tariff Order (NTO) 2.0. Analysts expect some viewers to shift to over-the-top platforms as a result of the new pricing.

Sony, Zee, Star India and Viacom18 have excluded some of their flagship channels from bouquets in order to price them higher. Under the NTO 2.0, the telecom regulator has capped the price of channels being offered as part of a bouquet at ₹12 a month. However, most of the popular channels are priced higher. Consequently, broadcasters will now be offering them solely on à la carte basis. Here, customers can individually purchase the channel which will no longer be a part of a bouquet offering.

47 Comments  |  
36 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

this govt introduced new rules saying you will only pay for what you see and it will get cheaper but in reality everyone is now paying higher than before acche din agaye hai everything is costing more day by day njoy new india of chaiwala 🤘😂

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

We customers are fooled by TRAI. They said it’s beneficial for us but in reality we are being looted by Govt, DTH operators, Channel owners. imp

Post Emperor Post Emperor
Link Copied

Such a pathetic implementation.. customer is of no value to these people.. and the government bodies be it TRAI or any other have just become middlemen looting the common people..
2 or 3 years back 200 rupees were enough for viewing all sd channels..
Now the regional channels alone cost 270 to 300.
And moreover the DTH companies have shitty packages..they will leave out the mostly viewed channels out of the package and customer needs to purchase it ala carte…

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Bob_The_Builder wrote:

this govt introduced new rules saying you will only pay for what you see and it will get cheaper but in reality everyone is now paying higher than before acche din agaye hai everything is costing more day by day njoy new india of chaiwala 🤘😂

.

Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied

Your favorite everything may cost more
b’coz we* know you got no choice but to pay!

Post Tycoon Post Tycoon
Link Copied

Stupid Decision
Instead of decreasing price they increased

Same thing happened in movie ticket pricing in Karnataka
They want to cap ₹150 for movie ticket in mall but
Now single theater ticket cost more than ₹200 for big kannada cinema

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Mujhe to dar hai kabhi govt free dth ko bhi charge na karne lage

Pro Community Angel Pro Community Angel
Link Copied

No DTH , no charge smile
Tried living without a TV for last 6 months, its actually more productive

Patron Patron
Link Copied

Switched to free dish long ago after this pay per channel scheme, as TV is only used to watch news in our house.

Pro Community Angel Pro Community Angel
Link Copied
Sidhu634 wrote:

Switched to free dish long ago after this pay per channel scheme, as TV is only used to watch news in our house.

Most free channels are available for live stream over YouTube smile

Deal Hunter Deal Hunter
Link Copied

Go for dd direct plus
Free for lifetime
Enough for news or timepass..

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Sidhu634 wrote:

Switched to free dish long ago after this pay per channel scheme, as TV is only used to watch news in our house.

Two thing from TV is carcinogenic i.e news & daily soaps. Try to stay away as much as you can.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

haa!! joke’s on them. i have not watched TV since last 5 years, nor do i have a dth connection.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

We became cordcutter few years ago after importing Xiaomi android box from China. Remote was simple enough to teach family it’s use. Now they just stick with channels apps, youtube , Netflix and prime video. Upside is that they seek quality content than don’t pay to watch ads like tv channel subscribers. We used to have thop tv.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Have stopped using DTH service almost 4-5 years ago.
Then it was Th*pTV and good stable connection
Now various other apps + Jio&Kodi combo
Most of the channels are available and shows as well..

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

My usage with older tariffs were Rs.450+ on Tata Sky and there was secondary conn. my brother was using in his home @ 175/month. So total- Rs.650 with sports included but since NTO 1.0 when they allowed, it fell to Rs.350 only with channels of my need for both TVs. Tata Sky charging only Rs.62 for secondary as NCF. So yes I saved but if you were one of those who needed all channels even though you watched only few then older tariffs were for you.

Take example of Dish TV. In Rs.154 they provide you 183 channels which include regional, news, some entertainment and then you can add channel of your choice which can’t be more than 5-6.

Currently operators charging Rs.19+GST per channel and with NTO 2 it is capped to Rs.12 max. in bonquet. So rather it is set to fall.

P.S- Forgot to mention there was Rs.175/month extra for HD channels. lol Now you can watch HD at same price. It’s on you whether you take it for once day or week. Before during cricket season, for 15 days tour we had to subscribe with lockin period of 60-90 days which always costed more. Now on India match day I subsribe and take it off same day before 11:59.

Super Stud Super Stud
Link Copied

Best thing is to use internet and ott apps for streaming regular channels

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied

ये प्राइस सिर्फ आप जैसे लोगो की वजह से बढ़ रहें हैं… less subscriber means less earning.. now people switching to OTT etc… they have started charging more.

sunglasses
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
xuseronline wrote:

ये प्राइस सिर्फ आप जैसे लोगो की वजह से बढ़ रहें हैं… less subscriber means less earning.. now people switching to OTT etc… they have started charging more.

sunglasses

It should be reverse no? Less subscriber means less demand, fall in prices to attract more people?

Cool Cool
Link Copied
Bob_The_Builder wrote:

this govt introduced new rules saying you will only pay for what you see and it will get cheaper but in reality everyone is now paying higher than before acche din agaye hai everything is costing more day by day njoy new india of chaiwala 🤘😂

flushed chai has become too costly to deal with
Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
icuuuineenminmeonannlaneominic wrote:

It should be reverse no? Less subscriber means less demand, fall in prices to attract more people?

Actually these tv channels are, adwares.

Why should anybody pay for these channels to watch advt? 😂

Perfectionist Perfectionist
Link Copied
desiviru wrote:

My usage with older tariffs were Rs.450+ on Tata Sky and there was secondary conn. my brother was using in his home @ 175/month. So total- Rs.650 with sports included but since NTO 1.0 when they allowed, it fell to Rs.350 only with channels of my need for both TVs. Tata Sky charging only Rs.62 for secondary as NCF. So yes I saved but if you were one of those who needed all channels even though you watched only few then older tariffs were for you.

Take example of Dish TV. In Rs.154 they provide you 183 channels which include regional, news, some entertainment and then you can add channel of your choice which can’t be more than 5-6.

Currently operators charging Rs.19+GST per channel and with NTO 2 it is capped to Rs.12 max. in bonquet. So rather it is set to fall.

P.S- Forgot to mention there was Rs.175/month extra for HD channels. lol Now you can watch HD at same price. It’s on you whether you take it for once day or week. Before during cricket season, for 15 days tour we had to subscribe with lockin period of 60-90 days which always costed more. Now on India match day I subsribe and take it off same day before 11:59.

Because of 12 Rs they are removing main GEC channels out of bouquet. So for those who just have main GEC channels and sports ones, cost will increase average 5-7 Rs per channel

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
avgn wrote:

Because of 12 Rs they are removing main GEC channels out of bouquet. So for those who just have main GEC channels and sports ones, cost will increase average 5-7 Rs per channel

Yeah I get it… like Star gives 12 channels for Rs.49+GST and with this they will take out channels and a-la-carte will increase the prices. But with compeitition from OTT apps, they will keep prices under budget. I don’t know whether Govt helping Amazon/Netflix here…

Some of decisions taken by Govt are served as pro-consumers while these are anti and helping foreign cos/Govt itself with increased taxes.

Cool Cool
Link Copied
Expand
DealDroid wrote:

Two thing from TV is carcinogenic i.e news & daily soaps. Try to stay away as much as you can.

bole toh ekdum jhakaas baat sunglasses

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

These people should give all channels for free as they show loads of Ad’s, if they want money then they should remove those ads. See OTT platforms, if we subscribe to the premium we get ad-free access.

These TV people and DTH Operators are too much. They want money from everything.

Missing