Hot Deal

57,000 BSNL employees opted for VRS in four days

484°
Tech Guru
BAT_MAN
  • Over 60,000 employees have applied for Voluntary Retirement Scheme in BSNL and MTNL, telecom secretary Anshu Prakash said on Friday
  • BSNL’s internal target for VRS is pegged at 77,000 employees, PTI reported
  • The scheme will be open till 3 December.
  • BSNL is looking at savings of about ₹7,000 crore in wage bill, if 70,000-80,000 personnel opt for the scheme.
59 Comments  |  
23 Dimers
  • Sort By
Pro Entertainer Pro Entertainer
Link Copied

Abtk mast office me bethkr khaya. Ab ghar pe bethkar mast khayenge. Acha he. Aur double triple niklne chahiye.

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

BSNL employees were not getting regular salaries since Dec last year. They fear that they would not be getting salaries in future als if they continue. So they are opting for VRS. The skilled ones will then go and join either Airtel or Jio.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

age of 50 years or above are eligible to seek voluntary retirement under the scheme

View 5 more replies
Pro Analyst Pro Analyst
Link Copied

Govt unable to run/maintain a Govt organisation (Shame on India) rolleyes pensive

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

No government can afford to pay to freeloaders army. With their colonial era BABU and SAHEB mentality, it was bound to happen sooner than later. BSNL sim card was treated like silver in early days, but look at it now, very few people still use it. If something goes wrong with your BSNL connection then no one will listen to you (leave alone fixing that issue). These BSNL employees treat customers like a beggar.

View 7 more replies
Link Copied

70000 BSNL employee don’t want to work double in tough time of BSNL and perhaps they also think that this company can not be revived…so they are taking vrs

Analyst Analyst
Link Copied

70000 means it will boost real estate market in many cities.

Not long before bsnl is sold to Mukesh Ambani like bses Mumbai was sold to Anil Ambani and VSNL was sold to Tata Tele.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

i don’t understand confused
Tata’s used their influence and (money?) power to have VSNL undervalued despite weirdly large tracts of real estate within various city limits.

VRS (for 79-80000 people) of unkbown level/ grade will boost real estate market how? Is one to assume that ALL are getting class one level retirements and that the money will trickle into construction or buying selling of property or land?
i assume half of those taking VRS to be peripheral staff (most of their key funxtions were long outsourced and performed by vendor companies instead of their own staff)

View 3 more replies
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

BSNL has been asking its ministry permission for the last 4 years to launch 4G services. They finally got now only after Jio has established itself. ever wonder why?

Link Copied

Sorry to say brother but in past you asked me to talk on facts but when it comes to BSNL I never seen you talking facts. You are bit emotional with BSNL or per say PSUs and hatee private. Yes BSNL asking for 4G spectrum but you may also know why they are not getting it. It is not the Ambani’s or Mittal’s behind but their own failures. When it comes to BSNL, everybody say it should get stimulus from Govt either be be tax exemptions or equity infusions while pvt telcos never enjoys that much.

BSNL got 3G spectrum in Sept 2008 and soft launched on Jan 1, 2009. It was well before 2 years other companies started. So why you never asked why BSNL was favored and given a go ahead before pvt telcos. Why there was a partiality then? And what did BSNL did even getting spectrum before pvt telcos? Absolutely nothing. They paid after 2 years and still no Interest was charged while it was not same for other telcos.

Some people play victim card that after auctions BSNL had to pay heavy prices. But that auction process was given go ahead by SC itself so not injustice there. Everyone paid the same price for every circle. BSNL got favored in many specific departments or I should say forced while the rules of fair play tells a company can’t be favored or forced to any department.

To establish itself, Jio is working too hard and also has investors confidence and money. What BSNL has? Jio is not having 1.75 Lakh employees. They have 1/6 of it and are 200% more efficient. When Airtel became No.1 was it due to their effort or Govt help? Govt asking 92000 Cr from pvt cos and not a single penny from BSNL for SUC. Why this much helping hand. On one hand pvt cos are playing without advantage while BSNL getting help after few years. Jio is not forcing anyone to join them. It is a free market and customer has all the choice. Those who compete and get work done faster are winners and those who cares about taking salaries only and enjoy the perks of being Govt employees only sleeps.

Suppose X has aloan of Rs.10 lakh while Y has 1 crore as loan. Y generates income of Rs.5 crore annualy with 80 lakhs as profits while X generates only 1 lakh as profits. Who will get more loan. Only Y. So the BSNL X has to buy spectrum first not look to get it for free every time. Neither customers not pvt telcos have made BSNL bleed. Their landline business was taking a hit who stopped them to being a close competition with mobile tariffs. Instead they kept on increasing when connections were being surrendered. BSNL: loses with management response to competition. It is not easy to manage a firm with more than 50% useless employees.

China Mobile is biggest Govt operator of China and have 2.9 lakh employees with market share of 70% alone. Here BSNL don’t have 8% market share and active users are only 60% out of that but have employee base of 1.75 lakh. It is not Jio’s fault that even after having their operations 14 years before Jio they are not able to lure 10% customers. You have to accept BSNL’s own fault. If they mean business then they need to compete. Emotions or patriotism won’t help BSNL grow. Their PR agency is playing emotional card from 1 year but any good result? Even if they had managed 3G network fairly with 10 MHz they have, they wouldn’t have needed 4G spectrum even now. But their 3G coverage still stands at 68% only. Only failures blame others for their loss.

View 8 more replies
Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied

What is offer ? how much extra ?

Blogger Blogger
Link Copied

very satisfied with this

Blogger Blogger
Link Copied

bsnl was first to launch 4g via wimax , but never got spectrum for LTE.

govt wanted otherwise

Link Copied

BSNL was first to get 3G spectrum but what happened?? Even after that BSNL performance in 3G was worst among all 3G service providers. Their biggest issue is their own employees who simply don’t want to work without getting bribe.

View 4 more replies
Blaze Blaze
Link Copied

Government wants bsnl dead….slowly slowly

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

@chingumboy
You have rounded of 1.61 Lakh employees to 1.75 Lakhs. There is no problem with such round off. But those 1.61 Lakh is the balance out of the original 3.66 Lakhs transferred from DoT to BSNL in 2000 (plus minor recruitment). However, you are now challenging that 3.66 Lakhs and claiming it to be 0.65 Lakhs. That is the issue.
And you specifically raised the question of why BSNL did not launch 3G for 2 years. That is clearly a question on management decision making, not on employee performance.

Link Copied

You are mixing up everything now. And I don’t want to get into your game of mixing colours and tell that everything is black. Even when BSNL had 1.87 Lakh employees I used to count it as 1.75 lakhs. Paune 2 lakh thoda easy rehta hai bhai. Yeh 3.66 ka funda aap hi samajh saktey ho. Actual toh yeh 3.56 Lakh tha.

Understand one thing I am a BSNL user. Want BSNL to grow by leaps and bounds. Comment with its problems over years. Don’t portray me as a BSNL hater.

The 3G para was more a reply to you than a question. You asked why they didn’t got 4G spectrum, I answered why. If you keep mixing up things and read between lines neither you would understand, nor I will make you.

View 2 more replies
Critic Critic
Link Copied

@panchabhut what’s the point of all this arguing when your argument itself has the final solution.

And you blamed the employees for failure to launch 3G services and claimed that as the reason for their failure to get 4G approval, which again was not correct as employees do not take decisions, that are taken by the top management none of whom are employees of BSNL but each and every one of them are IAS and ITS officers on deputation who act only as per the directions of the Govt. So I had only responded to that.

As long as there is any organisation/institute run by govt in India,above line holds true so unless you expect future telecom ministers to be IIM toppers,you can safely assume that any telecom company run by govt will meet the same fate of current bsnl sooner or later.

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

the discussion was with reference to whether the BSNL employees are the root cause of its present condition or not. and IIM graduates are not always the best for an oganisation. Most of the times, its the internal experienced experts who are best suited for taking the correct decision at the right time.
I agree that unless Govt is willing to give autonomy in decision making to the PSUs, none of the PSUs can sustain in the long run as they are used by politicians to mint money

View 2 more replies
Blogger Blogger
Link Copied

BSNL has been failed on purpose by GOI. like other institution such as making an mbbs director of ONGC

Critic Critic
Link Copied

I think you give too much credit to govt smile The only thing govt does on purpose in India is avoiding the “government job”. As for mbbs director,you can make Satyam Nadella or Sundar Pichai the director of ongc & it still won’t turn its situation around as long as it is controlled by govt of India. stuck_out_tongue

View 1 more reply
Tech Guru Tech Guru
Link Copied
  • Over 92,000 employees have so far opted for VRS
  • The scheme will remain open till 3rd December for employees aged 50 or above
  • The amount of ex-gratia for eligible employee wiil be equal to 35 days salary for each completed year of service and 25 days salary for every year of service left until superannuation.
Helpful Helpful
Link Copied

Still one more week. May be it’s gonna touch 1,00,000!

View 1 more reply
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

It’s better for BSNL if non working employees leave

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Do you think 92000 employees were lazy, They are taking VRS as they were not getting their salary on time some times after 2 or 3 months. So mostly people who have 3 – 5 years of retirement gone for VRS as they will get confirmed pension and extra salary benefits.

View 1 more reply
replyuser
Click here to reply