Airtel shut down 3G networks across India by Ma...

Airtel shut down 3G networks across India by March 2020

184°
Rupay logo2
Deal Lieutenant

Airtel shut down 3G networks across India by March 2020:

Airtel will shut down 6-7 circles by September, 2019 and the entire pan-India network by March, 2020

Bharti Airtel will shut down its entire 3G network across India’s 22 telecom circles by March, marking the beginning of the end of the technology, while focusing on providing 4G services to subscribers, a top company official said. It will, however, continue to provide 2G services for feature phone users.

The process began last month when the telecom giant shut down 3G network in the Kolkata circle. “This has worked very well in Kolkata. Now we will do this process across India. By September, we will shut down 6-7 circles and by March the entire 3G network pan India will shut down," Bharti Airtel CEO Gopal Vittal said in a post-earnings call with analysts on Friday.

Airtel’s decision marks the beginning of the phase out of 3G services in India, which is now increasingly moving to 4G, triggered by the entry of Reliance Jio in September 2016 which provides only 4G services. Rival Vodafone Idea continues to provide 2G, 3G, and 4G services.

In Kolkata, Airtel has re-farmed the 900 MHz band spectrum being used for 3G to strengthen its 4G network. The telecom operator is deploying L900 technology in the 900 MHz band to complement its 4G services in the 2300 MHz and 1800 MHz bands.

This, Airtel expects, will improve 4G availability inside buildings and coverage across homes in Kolkata.

However, the company does not expect much in cost savings by shutting down 3G services as it would continue to use the same equipment to offer 4G services to users.

“Our capex will continue for deployment of new sites and some loading on 2300 MHz band," Vittal said.

33 Comments  |  
12 Dimers
Hacker detected
Deal Subedar

nice move

Deal Cadet

Ya, They Have Already Started With Kolkata.
And Users Will Be Duly Notified Before The Closure Of 3G Services..And Its A Great Move Indeed. They Should Invest Those Spectrum In Improving 4G Services.

Cropped1937456041
Deal Subedar

4G bhi Shut down kar dena chahiye. 4G chalu karte hi signal 1/5 or 0/5 ho jata hai call aana band ho jata hai, ussd code vi dial nahi hota agar network selection automatic na ho toh. Nahi chahiye sab band kardo. #chortel

Untitled 1
Critic
SandipxDip wrote:

4G bhi Shut down kar dena chahiye. 4G chalu karte hi signal 1/5 or 0/5 ho jata hai call aana band ho jata hai, ussd code vi dial nahi hota agar network selection automatic na ho toh. Nahi chahiye sab band kardo. #chortel

That’s the problem. They don’t want to invest in infrastructure to improve 4G but they want to shutdown 3G to reduce the operating cost.

First improve 4G network then shutdown 3G and even 2G.

Rupay logo2
Deal Lieutenant
Expand
Roushh wrote:

That’s the problem. They don’t want to invest in infrastructure to improve 4G but they want to shutdown 3G to reduce the operating cost.

First improve 4G network then shutdown 3G and even 3G.

Airtel has only few 3G customers.

Images
Deal Cadet

If they think 3G shutdown will improve 4G then they should do it immediately unamused

Untitled 1
Critic
Expand
abhishek012 wrote:

Airtel has only few 3G customers.

I am one of them. And I am forced to use their 3G network because we don’t get good 4G signal here. Even calls on 2G are much clearer than 4G most of the times.

But I guess, I will switch to 2G now as I don’t use their data services. I am always on WIFi or Jio sometimes.

Dp
suspended
Expand
Roushh wrote:

First improve 4G network then shutdown 3G and even 2G.

Right.
People who didn’t get 4G signals (including me in Delhi) at several places could at least fall back upon 3G and still access net with reasonable speeds. With this move, such people will be forced to switch to Jio.
3 years since Jio launch, Chortel hasn’t figured out what customers want. They keep changing plans every month.
Wondering what kind of people run this company that such decisions are taken without doing proper homework. If they don’t behave, they are sure to close in a few years

Cropped1937456041
Deal Subedar
Expand
alphagirl wrote:

Right.
People who didn’t get 4G signals (including me in Delhi) at several places could at least fall back upon 3G and still access net with reasonable speeds. With this move, such people will be forced to switch to Jio.
3 years since Jio launch, Chortel hasn’t figured out what customers want. They keep changing plans every month.
Wondering what kind of people run this company that such decisions are taken without doing proper homework. If they don’t behave, they are sure to close in a few years

& Okla (Speedtest) is still saying India’s Fastest 4G Network Airtel. They have done all investments on Making Fake ads, not for improving their services.

Untitled 1
Critic
Expand
alphagirl wrote:

With this move, such people will be forced to switch to Jio.

Actually, that’s what I have planned to do 6 months ago. But I have more than 600 rs in balance in my Airtel number. I am waiting for it to exhaust then I am jumping ship.

I already have Jio so most probably I will switch to BSNL or Jio second sim. toungueout

Untitled 1
Critic
Expand
SandipxDip wrote:

& Okla (Speedtest) is still saying India’s Fastest 4G Network Airtel. They have done all investments on Making Fake ads, not for improving their services.

Companies cheat these speedtests all the time. They check the user agent or identify their servers and then boost speed for those requests.

Dp
suspended
Expand
Roushh wrote:

Actually, that’s what I have planned to do 6 months ago. But I have more than 600 rs in balance in my Airtel number. I am waiting for it to exhaust then I am jumping ship.

I already have Jio so most probably I will switch to BSNL or Jio second sim. toungueout

Use your money before it’s too late. Buy some membership or something if possible with balance. They won’t refund a rupee saying we had informed in advance.
After all, they are called chortel for a reason.

Untitled 1
Critic
Expand
alphagirl wrote:

Use your money before it’s too late. Buy some membership or something if possible with balance. They won’t refund a rupee saying we had informed in advance.
After all, they are called chortel for a reason.

What type of membership?

Dp
suspended
Expand
Roushh wrote:

What type of membership?

I don’t know, never did such things.
Some music app, Netflix etc, some magazine, tv app or anything similar that you have interest in…
Or if they allow to recharge their own dth using balance, do that

Untitled 1
Critic
Expand
alphagirl wrote:

I don’t know, never did such things.
Some music app, Netflix etc, some magazine, tv app or anything similar that you have interest in…
Or if they allow to recharge their own dth using balance, do that

Can we do all the with balance in phone number? I thought we can only make calls with that balance.

Dp
suspended
Expand
Roushh wrote:

Can we do all the with balance in phone number? I thought we can only make calls with that balance.

I don’t know, never tried. This is if you wish to port from Airtel. They are shutting down only 3g. You can still use the same balance for 2g and 4g. Once used, port out.

Cropped1937456041
Deal Subedar
Expand
Roushh wrote:

You can use your main balance to buy any plans expect talktime packs.

Plan:- 299- 2.5gb/day + 1month amazon Prime Membership (*still not worth I’ll say.)https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/578735/original/IMG_20190802_233804.jpg?1564769644https://cdn0.desidime.com/attachments/photos/578736/original/Screenshot_2019-08-02-23-40-39.png?1564769676

Missing
Deal Subedar
TechnoFrendz wrote:

Ya, They Have Already Started With Kolkata.
And Users Will Be Duly Notified Before The Closure Of 3G Services..And Its A Great Move Indeed. They Should Invest Those Spectrum In Improving 4G Services.

they shut down in Guwahati even before Kolkata.

Missing
Deal Subedar
Expand
alphagirl wrote:

Right.

In Kolkata the 3G spectrum is now used for 4G and they also have 2CA. So 4G network has improved. In Delhi also, they are now using 900 Mhz for 4G. But the handset needs to be compatible also.
At most places Jio is now at crawling speed.
PS – I travel frequently between Delhi, cities in East and North East and have both Jio and Airtel.

Download
Deal Cadet
Expand
Roushh wrote:

what about vodafone?

Download
Deal Cadet
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

In Kolkata the 3G spectrum is now used for 4G and they also have 2CA. So 4G network has improved. In Delhi also, they are now using 900 Mhz for 4G. But the handset needs to be compatible also.
PS – I travel frequently between Delhi, cities in East and North East and have both Jio and Airtel.

Now days jio is very slow, no streaming sometimes, no browsing sometimes, seldom good speed come
for now bsnl/voda better

Dp
suspended
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

I didn’t know frequency plays any role. Can you list which bands/frequencies offer better speed and which provider offers what?

Cropped27069613
Deal Subedar

@abhishek012
I am currently using airtel as secondary sim on 3g mode.
Any suggestions for porting to other 3g network.. 

Untitled 1
Critic
Batman_X wrote:

@abhishek012
I am currently using airtel as secondary sim on 3g mode.
Any suggestions for porting to other 3g network.. 

My first choice is BSNL.
Network is good. Widespread.
I get better data speed on BSNL 3G than on Jio 4G, most of the times. But I don’t use data.
Also, keeping the sim active is cheaper in BSNL.

Good choice for a secondary sim, I guess.

@Dastro

Missing
Deal Subedar
Expand
alphagirl wrote:

I didn’t know frequency plays any role. Can you list which bands/frequencies offer better speed and which provider offers what?

basic principles of physics – shorter the wavelength, higher is the penetration power. You get better reception indoors with shorter frequencies.
Earlier 4G was offered in 850 (jio only), 1800 and 2300 Mhz. Now airtel is converting 900 Mhz 3G into 4G
Carrier Aggregation (CA) is a special feature that requires support of both provider and handset. with CA, the frequencies at multiple bands are clubbed to give higher speeds.

Cropped27069613
Deal Subedar
Expand
Roushh wrote:

My first choice is BSNL. Network is good. Widespread. I get better data speed on BSNL 3G than on Jio 4G. Also, keeping the sim active is cheaper.

Thanks .
I need to check their plans and network in my area.
used bsnl as primary sim 4-5 years back when they had student scheme.
Then jio came in market since then using jio only as primary sim. sweat_smile

Missing
Deal Subedar
Expand
Roushh wrote:

My first choice is BSNL.
Network is good. Widespread.
I get better data speed on BSNL 3G than on Jio 4G, most of the times. But I don’t use data.
Also, keeping the sim active is cheaper in BSNL.

@Dastro

they are unable to pay salaries to their employees in time since last December. how long they can survive is the question.

Untitled 1
Critic
Expand
panchabhut wrote:

they are unable to pay salaries to their employees in time since last December. how long they can survive is the question.

Doesn’t matter. BSNL is too big to fail. In the worst case scenario, it will be sold to Ambani and then we can change our sim to Jio.

Missing