China teases India again, blocks a Brahmaputra ...

China teases India again, blocks a Brahmaputra tributary in Tibet to build dam

Vote up smileyx5
Score: 2 Votes: 2
Shiva
Deal Major
126
120
15576
130

China has blocked the flow of an important tributary of Brahmaputra river to construct its ‘most expensive’ dam in Tibet at a location very close to Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh.

BEIJING: China has blocked a tributary of the Brahmaputra river in Tibet as part of the construction of its “most expensive” hydro project, which could cause concern in India as it may impact water flows into the lower riparian countries.

The Lalho project on the Xiabuqu river, a tributary of the Yarlung Zangbo (the Tibetan name for Brahmaputra), in Xigaze in Tibet involves an investment of 4.95 billion yuan (USD 740 million), Zhang Yunbao, head of the project’s administration bureau was quoted as saying by Chinese state-run Xinhua news agency on Saturday.

Xigaze also known as Shigatse is closely located to Sikkim. From Xigaze, the Brahmaputra flows into Arunachal Pradesh.

Terming it as the “most expensive project”, the report said the project, whose construction began in June 2014, was scheduled to be completed in 2019.

It is not clear yet what impact the blockade of the river will have on the flow of water from the Brahmaputra into the lower riparian countries like India and Bangladesh as a result, it said.

Last year, China had operationalised the $1.5 billion Zam Hydropower Station, the largest in Tibet, built on the Brahmaputra river, which has raised concerns in India.
But China has been maintaining that it has taken into consideration India’s concerns and allays apprehensions of restricting the flow of water, saying its dams are not designed to hold water.

The outline of China’s 12th Five Year Plan indicates that three more hydropower projects on the mainstream of the Brahmaputra river in Tibet Autonomous Region have been approved for implementation.

In March, Union minister of state for water resources Sanwar Lal Jat said in a statement that India had expressed its concerns to China about the likely impact of the dams.

While there is no water treaty between the countries, India and China established an Expert Level Mechanism (ELM) on trans-border rivers and in October 2013 the two governments signed a memorandum of understanding on strengthening cooperation on trans-border rivers under which Beijing provides data to India on the water flows.

Source:

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/india/As-Ind...

http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/china-india-...

7 Comments  |  
5 Dimers
Missing
Deal Subedar
1
2
1596
7

China teases India again?????? https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_surprised.gif

ungli karney sey kabhi baaz nai aayengey. itnaa deemag pey load leytey hey ye log, e c liye unki height nai badhti………….

Shiva
Deal Major
126
120
15576
130
@sunnie wrote:

China teases India again?????? https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_surprised.gif

ungli karney sey kabhi baaz nai aayengey. itnaa deemag pey load leytey hey ye log, e c liye unki height nai badhti………….


Aankha to khulti nahin aap height ki baat kar rahen hain https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Giphy
Deal Subedar
1
88
1180
22

Muje nahi lagta india koi fark padega, and agar problem hoga to india ko Indus river rokne ka mauka milega https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Giphy
Deal Subedar
1
88
1180
22

19.5%

Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56556
1124
@pratik8989 wrote:

19.5%


Whats that ?

Missing
Deal Subedar
1
247
1162
15
@pratik8989 wrote:

Muje nahi lagta india koi fark padega, and agar problem hoga to india ko Indus river rokne ka mauka milega https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif


Kya bol rahe ho, Indus originates from Tibet as well https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_rolleyes.gif

Also the headline is stupid, if India stops Indus’ flow → Pak terms it as declaration of war so what about China, we should ban all Chini imports since this is just the same https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_twisted.gif

Giphy
Deal Subedar
1
88
1180
22
@$hubham wrote:


@pratik8989 wrote:

Muje nahi lagta india koi fark padega, and agar problem hoga to india ko Indus river rokne ka mauka milega https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif


Kya bol rahe ho, Indus originates from Tibet as well https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_rolleyes.gif

Also the headline is stupid, if India stops Indus’ flow → Pak terms it as declaration of war so what about China, we should ban all Chini imports since this is just the same https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_twisted.gif

thats y i said, 19.5%

according to indus water treaty india can use 19.5% share of water which flows into Pakistan

Missing