Is fire stick worth it? please help

Is fire stick worth it? please help

115°
Img 20180811 173854
Deal Lieutenant
378
4124
31

This past few months after the channels tax increased… our cable tv operator for years have now been nothing but headaches.
Also I don’t want dth cuz where I live gets a lot of storms and rains, which then disturbs the channel signals a lot.
But I have no idea how fire stick is personally since nobody here has one.
So, I request all dimers here to share their experience and opinions on the fire stick 🙏

19 Comments  |  
11 Dimers
Missing
Deal Cadet
129
557
6

It depends on various stuff.

But overall the answer is Yes

Img 20180811 173854
Deal Lieutenant
378
4124
31
B3A5T wrote:

It depends on various stuff.

But overall the answer is Yes

What do you mean by various stuff? could you please explain a bit if you don’t mind ?

Missing
Deal Cadet
129
557
6
Expand
rini50 wrote:

What do you mean by various stuff? could you please explain a bit if you don’t mind ?

Like, what is you content consumption, do you have necessary subscription, is Internet uptime good plus the speed of your internet, etc

Img 20180811 173854
Deal Lieutenant
378
4124
31
Expand
B3A5T wrote:

Like, what is you content consumption, do you have necessary subscription, is Internet uptime good plus the speed of your internet, etc

ok thanks!
Net speed is good on my phone and tablet during mornings till afternoon. So I guess that shouldn’t be a problem.
But jio slows down terribly at evening tho airtel works just fine. Also I have a hotstar subscription.
So will all of these work?
Asking to amazon cc is a pain since they’re copy pasting the same lines… except the signed names are different 😑

Missing
Deal Cadet
129
557
6
Expand
rini50 wrote:

ok thanks!
Net speed is good on my phone and tablet during mornings till afternoon. So I guess that shouldn’t be a problem.
But jio slows down terribly at evening tho airtel works just fine. Also I have a hotstar subscription.
So will all of these work?
Asking to amazon cc is a pain since they’re copy pasting the same lines… except the signed names are different 😑

I can’t help you with that question, as I own Chromecast and not Fire stick.

Chromecast requires router/mobile hotspot to work. Firestick should work same way


@alienteck for more help.

Img 20180811 173854
Deal Lieutenant
378
4124
31
Expand
B3A5T wrote:

I can’t help you with that question, as I own Chromecast and not Fire stick.

Chromecast requires router/mobile hotspot to work. Firestick should work same way


@alienteck for more help.

Oh ok thanks for your help ! ☺

Images
Deal Subedar
134
1860
27

Check this if it helps
Which is better Chromecast 2 or Fire stick?

Please Visit
https://ddime.i...ZA

Img 20180811 173854
Deal Lieutenant
378
4124
31
Awake wrote:

Check this if it helps
Which is better Chromecast 2 or Fire stick?

Please Visit
https://ddime.i...ZA

thanks! that looks helpful!

Missing
Deal Cadet
107
160
9

Firestick is good if you have good internet connection, you can watch all your channel & their shows, movies on it live or before air time if you have subscription , or the next day for free(shows).
I used to have Airtel IP Tv on which they had 7 days 42 channels data stored on their server, which we used to watch at our leisure, but the service stopped in 2016. now the firestick gives me the same benefit (and much more with a good internet connection minimum 2mbps) with channel specific apps, my mother had seen few series from the beginning of the show. I have not recharged my DTH since Jan and no one misses it.

15359988
Tech Guru
1,451
4171
133

Get JioFi or the Airtel dongle.. It makes everything much easier to do. Yes you need internet for all of them to work and remember, in HD it takes 1GB of data per hour.. So I usually use SD mode so I get like 4 Hours.. and pause it when not using it. It cost a lot to replace the TV, 8GB hard drive, HDTV box, CPU RAM etc so I am now very careful.. No copper lines connecting anything. We have 20,000 Volts coning in which gets to 240V for the apartments.. Everything else is wireless..

Both Fire and Chrome are android and supported by Amazon or Google.. If you have Amazon prime etc then go for fire.. I think everything works with both although with google everything that works in their browser works while with fire everything on amazon store works as an app. Slight difference in the way they work. Google has an OS Android and Chrome works on top f hat but saw how Microsoft lost. So now making sure they have a backup of a backup so the next upstart dont topple them easily.

Missing
Deal Cadet
920
884
24

awesome.go for it. need to have broadband for best usage. using it from 2 years

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
349
4

@rini50 I will try to write my experience and suggestions with as much detail as I can.
1. I am using fire TV from October 2018. It’s smooth and run 1080p video. Newer model can run upto 4k video content but I will suggest getting normal version (to save money and we still don’t have much content in 4k)
2. I am using YouTube (most of the time), Netflix and jiotv. These app runs smoothly and never lag.
3. I use Jiotv (Android TV version) to watch traditional TV channels (rarely). It runs almost all channels I watch and that too in HD. More than enough for now.
4. Stick comes with voice search feature. It works most of the time but only with Amazon prime video. Remote looks classy.
5. I already had 50 Mbps connection (gives 30+ Mbps anytime anyday). So that’s a saving for me.

Cons:
1. You will need a good and stable broadband/mobile internet connection. Usually 5 Mbps is more than enough for HD videos. It will runs decently on 2Mbps too though.
2. You can’t change channels like we are used to. May be inconvenient for elderly people.
3. Need to buy it and hence spend money when you already have bought set top box.
In the end I will suggest you to buy it if your connection speed is stable 2Mbps or more.

Img 20180811 173854
Deal Lieutenant
378
4124
31

@DaBomb @alienteck @ashishgupta25 thanks for the info! I’m going to buy it then bit hopefully they give a discount or something… that would be nice 😅

Missing
Deal Cadet
60
232
4
DaBomb wrote:

@rini50 I will try to write my experience and suggestions with as much detail as I can.
1. I am using fire TV from October 2018. It’s smooth and run 1080p video. Newer model can run upto 4k video content but I will suggest getting normal version (to save money and we still don’t have much content in 4k)
2. I am using YouTube (most of the time), Netflix and jiotv. These app runs smoothly and never lag.
3. I use Jiotv (Android TV version) to watch traditional TV channels (rarely). It runs almost all channels I watch and that too in HD. More than enough for now.
4. Stick comes with voice search feature. It works most of the time but only with Amazon prime video. Remote looks classy.
5. I already had 50 Mbps connection (gives 30+ Mbps anytime anyday). So that’s a saving for me.

Cons:
1. You will need a good and stable broadband/mobile internet connection. Usually 5 Mbps is more than enough for HD videos. It will runs decently on 2Mbps too though.
2. You can’t change channels like we are used to. May be inconvenient for elderly people.
3. Need to buy it and hence spend money when you already have bought set top box.
In the end I will suggest you to buy it if your connection speed is stable 2Mbps or more.

Great info!!

I have a related query. Is JioTV app available for Amazon Fire stick now or is apk available from 3rd party website for installation? I could only find Jio Cinema which mostly has movies and I would love to install JioTV for live TV content

Cropped75770540910922727
Blogger
514
1976
51

Good info. plus1 KG to DaBomb Bhai. smile

To OP – Not a fire stick user. Sorry!

Missing
Deal Cadet
51
349
4
Expand
indiansoul wrote:

Great info!!

I have a related query. Is JioTV app available for Amazon Fire stick now or is apk available from 3rd party website for installation? I could only find Jio Cinema which mostly has movies and I would love to install JioTV for live TV content

Amazon fire stick has dedicated app store and most of the app can be downloaded from there which is optimized for TV (jio cinema included). You have to download jiotv app (TV optimization modded) from 3rd party site. Search “jiotv Android TV” and you will get result.

67351 541779905843911 1711691732 n
Deal Subedar
213
1472
46

I think you are going to use your mobile/tablet hotspot for the Internet? Issues with it:
1. limited daily data restriction
2. keeping hotspot on for hours will drain battery/heat the device.
3. keep the device nearby.

You could instead use a wifi dongle. But then it will also be having daily data restrictions. I suggest you to get broadband installed, as watching all your live tv and video content through internet is going to be quite data heavy.

Up
Deal Lieutenant
629
4547
204

Definitely Worth…

Missing