Laptop shutting down again and again

Laptop shutting down again and again

Rum old5
Deal Cadet
1
126
990
52

My old laptop XPS 15 is shutting down again and again. The HDD is 80% full and the battery has died, so I am running it directly via charger. What could be the problem? Will getting a new battery solve the issue?

26 Comments  |  
21 Dimers
Lord snow
Deal Lieutenant
3
107
4319
37

Probably a heating issue.. get it serviced (cleaning and removal of dust)… And also get the fan speed checked..

PS: Get it serviced only at a reputed shop, coz doing it right is critical for life of Laptop.

Black wallpaper hd 2200x1305 27
Deal Cadet
3
122
660
2

Probably not, even one of my cousin had this same problem and it is some hardware problem so I don’t think only changing battery would solve, anyway I may be wrong and I would still suggest you to visit a computer store repairer who will be able to exactly pin point the issue.

286 907
Deal Major
1
12
28472
182

@dragonball it is not because of disk full or battery….. may be because of motherboard issue, remove battery connect charger directly and check.. or get some heatsink paste and apply near processeor.

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
54
344
22

Looks like your GPU gets heated very soon and the system shuts down. I had a HP system that did that to me and i had to replace the motherboard because the GPU was onboard.

Timon    gesture drawing by gooseberry007
Deal Lieutenant
0
0
4890
38

@dragonball first check if Fan in working or not. If working then check if vents are not blocked. If blocked, fill your lung with fresh air and blow towards the vent.
-
2. check the CPU usage, If its full it might be malware
--
3. Run ccleaner and check installed and auto run programs
-——

Matrix stickmen
Perfectionist
30
2,278
42775
736
@FeelMyL0Ve wrote:

@dragonball it is not because of disk full or battery….. may be because of motherboard issue, remove battery connect charger directly and check.. or get some heatsink paste and apply near processeor.


Bro, seems like he has already removed the battery. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

@dragonball This seems like a heating issue as @JonSnow has pointed out already. But if that were the case, you should have experienced slow down before the laptop shutdown completely. Another likely reason could be that the motherboard or the power socket has malfunctioned.

Images
Shopping Friend
34
57
13987
175

@dragonball
Even i own dell xps l502x….. battery is doomed….
Have you ever faced low power wattage issue? If yes than u have to try using other same rated adapter and check….. since u are using directly via power brick so that might be the issue…..

If not than surely its hardware issue…. but do give a try by formatting it fully and reinstall fresh windows

Shiva
Deal Major
136
147
17634
157

Throw it in water https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
2
336
5670
64

U might have already tried yourself… still…

It can be wrong update of driver/malware causing this… Try to boot in safe mode… If u’ve got a backup then try to restore it…. Try to go in BIOS setting and see if HDD is working or not… Reset the BIOS to default and try to reboot into system…

If everything that I mentioned fails then u might need to open it yourself or take it to service center… Hope this helps… https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Draw
Blogger
10
1,195
56802
1153
@Navneet wrote:

Throw it in water https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_wink.gif


With a Titanic pose !
And get the precious selfie on fb

Draw
Blogger
10
1,195
56802
1153
“@CrazyTroll ":http://www.desidime.com/users/...34 wrote:

@dragonball first check if Fan in working or not. If working then check if vents are not blocked. If blocked, fill your lung with fresh air and blow towards the vent.
-
2. check the CPU usage, If its full it might be malware
--
3. Run ccleaner and check installed and auto run programs
-——


New dp ?
Previous was colourfull and enf to give warning :’

Maxresdefault
Deal Subedar
0
103
1196
21
@DealSeeker wrote:

@FeelMyL0Ve wrote:

@dragonball it is not because of disk full or battery….. may be because of motherboard issue, remove battery connect charger directly and check.. or get some heatsink paste and apply near processeor.


Bro, seems like he has already removed the battery. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

@dragonball This seems like a heating issue as @JonSnow has pointed out already. But if that were the case, you should have experienced slow down before the laptop shutdown completely. Another likely reason could be that the motherboard or the power socket has malfunctioned.


My laptop has slowed down greatly and I believe it’s because of the heat issue. What would be best possible course of action for me to fix it?

Matrix stickmen
Perfectionist
30
2,278
42775
736
@batman wrote:

My laptop has slowed down greatly and I believe it’s because of the heat issue. What would be best possible course of action for me to fix it?


You would need to open up the laptop, clean the CPU+GPU heatsink, reapply thermal paste, and put it all back. Search for instructions on Google for your specific laptop model. Example: https://encrypted.google.com/search?q=how+to+cl...

If you aren’t comfortable with the process (will take about an hour), you should visit a computer repair shop. You will be charged anywhere from 500 to 1000 for this task.

Giphy
Deal Subedar
6
0
1436
29

Check laptop opening video on youtube, open your laptop and you will find hell lot of dust sitting inside your fan. This dust is the main reason which causes laptop to heat up and then shuts your system. I once did open my laptop and I was shocked to see hell lot of Kachras inside it https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif after removing that the laptop started working smoothly. If above solution doesn’t work then immediately backup your data as your HDD is on the verge of failure.
And it’s not easy to open up old laptops as you have to remove almost 20, 30 screws and have to remember which screw fits where and it takes 1 hour for the first time https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_lol.gif

Logo
Deal Cadet
5
248
742
13

In summer season this type of issue occurs in old laptops. Mine also acer extensa 4630z. Shuts down when gets extremely heated with some tik noise.. suggest u just clean dust in fan , n while using just keep lappy at some 2 cm above surface , such that air will freely flow from downside, there might also be issue with loose connection with pin of charger n lappy port , because it might be worn out as of now. As you r directly running on Ac , just because of spark also its get shuts down.

Giphy
Deal Subedar
6
0
1436
29
@jaguarfree wrote:

Check laptop opening video on youtube, open your laptop and you will find hell lot of dust sitting inside your fan. This dust is the main reason which causes laptop to heat up and then shuts your system. I once did open my laptop and I was shocked to see hell lot of Kachras inside it https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_eek.gif after removing that the laptop started working smoothly. If above solution doesn’t work then immediately backup your data as your HDD is on the verge of failure.
And it’s not easy to open up old laptops as you have to remove almost 20, 30 screws and have to remember which screw fits where and it takes 1 hour for the first time https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_lol.gif


This video will help you. Your lappy has 2 fans so remove kachra from both fans

Giphy
Deal Subedar
6
0
1436
29
@batman wrote:

My laptop has slowed down greatly and I believe it’s because of the heat issue. What would be best possible course of action for me to fix it?


The first and easy thing you can do is download ccleaner http://filehippo.com/download_ccl...r/ and clean all the junk using that software. Then remove unwanted softwares and files from your system. Download spybot and spywareblaster and check if you have any spyware in your pc. http://filehippo.com/download_spybot_search_de.... and http://filehippo.com/download_spywarebl...r/
Startup programs are the main reason which runs in background and slows down the boot process. Disable all of them, just enable your antivirus in it. How to do this? Click on windows icon below, type msconfig.exe and enter. click on starup, untick everything there apart from your antivirus and click apply. done restart your pc https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif and you can uninstall that spybot and spywareblaster later https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Everyone should follow the above steps to make their pc, laptop run smoothly https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Dual survival cody lundin 2
Deal Captain
39
63
12533
137

Just open it and clean the dust build on fans as well as inside laptop, see if any fan is not working. If any fan is not working just replace it. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Images
suspended
0
387
9510
101

BEFORE you do anything as suggested by others.

1. Download: http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/core_te...

Check the temperature. If it’s too high 90 C or above. The laptop needs cleaning(the fans and heatsink) and application of new thermal paste on both CPU and GPU cores.

2. IF the temperature is normal: When you are running directly on charger, whenever the power backup restores on power cut there is a very little lag. But your laptop will shutdown. Buy a new battery ASAP or your HDD will crash.

Download
Deal Lieutenant
1
22
3121
39

Remove bluestack, and other loot stuff so that your lappy can get some relief and could understand the real world https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_lol.gif https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_lol.gif

Missing
Deal Cadet
0
50
812
6

@dragonball
Its worth a shot to boot into a Linux LiveCD/USB to check whether the problem recurs. Failing that a fresh install of Windows.
As others have opined your system might be
hitting its thermal limits and hence shutting down automatically. A cleanup of the exhaust vents and cooling fan (and application of some thermal paste) should work wonders
I still own an eight year old laptop (and not cleaned even once) that while gaming would shoot upto 97 degrees very near to the thermal shutoff point of 105 . I was unwilling to spend the money needed to get it serviced and anyways there dont seem to be any qualified technicians in my area so I resorted to a software method: Throttlestop to undervolt the CPU and Rivatuner to underclock the GPU. Now temps rarely cross 80 degrees other than torture tests like Prime95,OCCT etc (but I had to give up 20% GPU perf.) With a cooling pad temps are reduced further by 5-7 degrees. With the newer gen Intel processors undervolting is not possible after Core 2 Duo, only underclocking either with Throttlestop or Intel Xtreme Tuning utility. But undervolting the CPU again became viable with 4th & 5th gen. lineup. With the 6th gen. there is still no clarity. For AMD K-10 Stat works till Llano and possibly Trinity.
The newer gen. GPU’s offer much more fine grained control over voltages, clock speeds so should yield even better results. There are many utilities like Afterburn etc.
P.S. You should really get a new battery(unless you dont plan on keeping for much longer) or atleast run it off of a UPS. After market batteries will also do.

Images
Moderator
4
267
14544
228

Awesome responses!! Bookmarked, so much useful info and watch some youtbe videos too!
Almost everything here, OP too lucky to get so much help in few hours https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Rum old5
Deal Cadet
1
126
990
52

Thank you guys. I have put the laptop on some height so that more air ventilation is taking place now and shotdowns have significantly reduced!
https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Images
suspended
0
387
9510
101
@dragonball wrote:

Thank you guys. I have put the laptop on some height so that more air ventilation is taking place now and shotdowns have significantly reduced!
https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif


You seriously want to screw up your laptop and data for Rs.300-400? Any laptop technician can clean and apply the thermal paste for that amount if you don’t have that knowledge and it takes only 20mins tops.

Salman khan 33a
suspended
0
50
152
1

my laptop also had same issue some times ago.one day i decided to open laptop and open and loose all parts attached in it.i found that there is heavy amount of carbon deposit on the back of copper tube which is responsible for heat dissipation.so i just removed it and cleaned my laptop and now laptop is no more heating problem.working like a charm from last 1 year.if i can do u can also do this to remove heating problem and auto shut problem. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

4fd2a1e7 26ff 4829 8628 cc947add2702 800
Deal Cadet
0
62
812
9

If u have under warrantly I mean ADP then its great everything goes free

Missing