Lossses in MF? When should i invest more,

Lossses in MF? When should i invest more,

214°
Missing
Deal Cadet
155
430
2

Hi,

I recently invested in MF after the MF rates were 3 months low. Now It becomes 12 months low and lost around 7%

Should I wait more 5-6 more* days to invest the next batch to minimize the down percentage?

Dow Jones 8% low, so stocks will go down tomorrow i guess

32 Comments  |  
16 Dimers
Missing
Deal Subedar
268
1263
16

As someone who’s lived through the massive losses of 2008 crash, I’d argue it’s better to get out of the market for now & see how the real (world) economy stabilizes. It obviously depends on your capacity to take losses, but make no mistake it will get much much worse before it gets better. In that sense a 10% loss now is better than a possible 40% loss down the line. Even when you take the power of “averaging” IMO it’s better to observe how the markets behave & then invest strategically.

This crisis is actually much worse than 2008, it is IMO Black plague + Spanish Flu + Great Depression rolled into one. For instance towards the end of Great Depression we had the WWII, there was some overlap, but the key factor is that the War enabled the US & much of Western Europe to get out of Depression. Here as more people stay inwards, the (global) economy will tank even further.

I wish we could punish China for letting nCoV out as they did, but that’s in the past. We now have to take care of the affected & minimize deaths → that is priority no.1 grinning


Here’s a good video about how the contagion will unroll, not only in the US but everywhere! As with financial investments or advise though, don’t believe any random stranger on the internet like me, research as much as you can & make your own informed decision. The only thing you should take away with you is the experiences of others, like me & how that’ll let you make better decisions.

Missing
Blogger
377
2894
61

Which Mutual funds bhai???

Missing
Deal Subedar
110
1591
83

7% loss is good when nifty shed 25%

Missing
Deal Subedar
153
2103
132

depends upon which kind of money you have to dispense
if its extra that you wont be needing anytime soon, keep investing
if not, stop adding more till market stabilize

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
44
1

Mine 14℅ down start investment from December…

Missing
Analyst
104
3337
38
Expand
DealBroker23 wrote:

axis bluechip

If money is not an issue, i.e. you dont need money for 3 4 years or so down the line, keep doing the sip (i am investing 10% of my cash at every major dip)! These are the best times to invest.
Tought times don’t last forever. Situation will improve and markets will go higher.
But yes dont invest emergency money!

Missing
Blogger
377
2894
61
Expand
DealBroker23 wrote:

axis bluechip

Don’t worry. 🙂 I am not a SEBI registered advisor, so it ll be pretty illegal to advise you on my part.
In my opinion, you stop your SIP. Start investing in small lump sums on every dip. 🙂🙂🙂🙂
Try to find an index fund. Indexes recover first and you ll get decent profit. 🙂🙂🙂

Missing
Deal Newbie
65
38
0

Has anybody invested fd in sfb like fincare utkarsh etc

Missing
Blogger
196
1925
54
abhishekkjain wrote:

2.7 years in MF and 18k in losses – https://prnt.sc/...up

FD in trusted bank are safest.

NPS is down too approx -12%.

yes lost 12k in one month in tier 2

about 15k in tier 1

Missing
Blogger
196
1925
54
Expand
bikidas2060 wrote:

Don’t worry. 🙂 I am not a SEBI registered advisor, so it ll be pretty illegal to advise you on my part.
In my opinion, you stop your SIP. Start investing in small lump sums on every dip. 🙂🙂🙂🙂
Try to find an index fund. Indexes recover first and you ll get decent profit. 🙂🙂🙂

what are index funds

can u explain in simple

and a few funds to invest

Missing
Blogger
377
2894
61
Expand
rogerthat wrote:

what are index funds

can u explain in simple

and a few funds to invest

Index funds replicates a particular index, e.g. Nifty50. Example bhai kal denge. Actually mujhe khud dhundna naa hai. Niftybees is an ETF, which is also a replica of Nifty 50. 🙂

Missing
Deal Hunter
241
2574
170
Expand
bikidas2060 wrote:

Index funds replicates a particular index, e.g. Nifty50. Example bhai kal denge. Actually mujhe khud dhundna naa hai. Niftybees is an ETF, which is also a replica of Nifty 50. 🙂

Following

Missing
Deal Cadet
86
593
21
Expand
rogerthat wrote:

what are index funds

can u explain in simple

and a few funds to invest

there are funds like ICICI NV20, NV50 and others (each fund house has one)
they can be bought through mutual fund route or directly from NSE by ETF route
They are usually more stable than individual stocks, rise and fall is proportional to index

Missing
Deal Cadet
86
593
21

i bought AXIS Blue Chip and AXIS Midcap
just keep investing 10-15 of your total amount on each fall
I think there is much more downside to this, and i also feel in the coming years markets wont scale the heights they scaled in past

Missing
Deal Cadet
86
593
21
hubham wrote:

As someone who’s lived through the massive losses of 2008 crash, I’d argue it’s better to get out of the market for now & see how the real (world) economy stabilizes. It obviously depends on your capacity to take losses, but make no mistake it will get much much worse before it gets better. In that sense a 10% loss now is better than a possible 40% loss down the line. Even when you take the power of “averaging” IMO it’s better to observe how the markets behave & then invest strategically.

This crisis is actually much worse than 2008, it is IMO Black plague + Spanish Flu + Great Depression rolled into one. For instance towards the end of Great Depression we had the WWII, there was some overlap, but the key factor is that the War enabled the US & much of Western Europe to get out of Depression. Here as more people stay inwards, the (global) economy will tank even further.

I wish we could punish China for letting nCoV out as they did, but that’s in the past. We now have to take care of the affected & minimize deaths → that is priority no.1 grinning


Here’s a good video about how the contagion will unroll, not only in the US but everywhere! As with financial investments or advise though, don’t believe any random stranger on the internet like me, research as much as you can & make your own informed decision. The only thing you should take away with you is the experiences of others, like me & how that’ll let you make better decisions.

Situation in India is much better than US, at least the poor have some kind of healthcare system to rely on, unlike the US

Missing
Deal Cadet
155
430
2
karanoshan wrote:

i bought AXIS Blue Chip and AXIS Midcap
just keep investing 10-15 of your total amount on each fall
I think there is much more downside to this, and i also feel in the coming years markets wont scale the heights they scaled in past

I was thinking to wait atleast for a week as the virus will spread more for sure.
Before the graph goes down we can only flatten the graph as per WHO.

Missing
Deal Cadet
155
430
2

market down today too, Now total loss stands 14%
Dow Jones opened in -ve trend.

Missing
Critic
181
4718
137

Don’t worry. You can’t do much now. Time to pull out your money from these instruments has long gone. Nothing you can do about it. These will recover as market recover. Don’t stop your SIP, keep investing.

Best piece of advice. Get some lump sum money and buy stock of any fundamentally strong companies. Companies like Reliance Industries, HDFC Bank, ICICI Bank, Infosys, Bosch, Titan, Nestle etc. These are already 25-40% down. They may go further 5-20% down but it’s hard to time the market so don’t wait for the absolute bottom. Better buy 25% of your capital at every dip. You can’t go wrong with these shares. You will easily make ~25-30% returns within a year or so. or probably more.

Second best piece of advice. If you are not comfortable with buying shares then invest more in your fav mutual fund. 25% at each dip. Returns will be lower than shares but still pretty solid.

Missing
Critic
181
4718
137
Expand
rogerthat wrote:

what are index funds

can u explain in simple

and a few funds to invest

Some good index funds…

UTI Nifty Index Fund
HDFC Sensex Index Fund
DSP Nifty 50 Equal Weight Index fund

There are lots of index funds available. Here is the list… https://www.moneycontrol.com/mutual-funds/perfo...

Select a index fund with low expense ratios and low tracking error.

Make sure to invest in direct growth plan.

Missing
Deal Cadet
155
430
2
Expand
Roushh wrote:

Some good index funds…

UTI Nifty Index Fund
HDFC Sensex Index Fund
DSP Nifty 50 Equal Weight Index fund

There are lots of index funds available. Here is the list… https://www.moneycontrol.com/mutual-funds/perfo...

Select a index fund with low expense ratios and low tracking error.

Make sure to invest in direct growth plan.

NIfty index funds may not be 100% sync with nifty as yes bank has now lock in period and yes bank is removed/might be removed from nifty 50

Missing
Critic
181
4718
137
Expand
DealBroker23 wrote:

NIfty index funds may not be 100% sync with nifty as yes bank has now lock in period and yes bank is removed/might be removed from nifty 50

True but YES bank doesn’t have much weightage in Nifty 50 so it’s not gonna impact much. Plus you will be investing for more than a year or two. This situation will be resolved by then.

Because many fund houses appealed for an exemption of index funds from the YES bank restriction and it makes sense too in cases on index funds. So hopefully they will be exempted.

Missing
Deal Captain
359
10620
200

Is it better to opt for Niftybees?

Missing
suspended
50
308
4

@Roushh Sorry for asking noobie questions & going out of topic, we are currently having a SIP in HDFC small cap with a broker here. Seeing, the current conditions we were planning to pause SIP for sometime. Is it possible to pause SIP If it’s with broker? Also, can we stop SIP and anytime & hold money in SIP till we recover loss or it’s mandatory to withdraw money after stopping SIP?

Missing
Critic
181
4718
137
The.Slayer wrote:

Is it better to opt for Niftybees?

Niftybees is good but the problem is with liquidity. If you are withdrawing funds with mass public then you may face issue with liquidity. That’s a common problem with ETFs. Except this it’s good.

Missing
Deal Cadet
155
430
2
Coconut wrote:

@Roushh Sorry for asking noobie questions & going out of topic, we are currently having a SIP in HDFC small cap with a broker here. Seeing, the current conditions we were planning to pause SIP for sometime. Is it possible to pause SIP If it’s with broker? Also, can we stop SIP and anytime & hold money in SIP till we recover loss or it’s mandatory to withdraw money after stopping SIP?

is time to invest lumpsum,
No problem with SIP do not skip is installment if delaying invest double SIP amount for better returns..

Missing
Critic
181
4718
137
Coconut wrote:

@Roushh Sorry for asking noobie questions & going out of topic, we are currently having a SIP in HDFC small cap with a broker here. Seeing, the current conditions we were planning to pause SIP for sometime. Is it possible to pause SIP If it’s with broker? Also, can we stop SIP and anytime & hold money in SIP till we recover loss or it’s mandatory to withdraw money after stopping SIP?

Some mutual fund houses allow you to temporarily pause your SIPs but not all. Get in touch with support and ask about it.

Yes, you can stop the SIP if you want. But why would you want to stop it now in the fall. The main reason to opt for SIP is to average out the cost. That’s why people do SIP. In fact, when market falls, you SHOULD increase your SIP amount.

If you can’t invest more then at least don’t stop the SIP. Keep investing. You are now investing at lower cost. Returns will be higher.

Missing
suspended
50
308
4

Thanks for the advice @DealBroker23 & @Roushh actually this is our first time investment (in mutual funds) that’s why we were quite confuse. Wouldn’t be able to increase the amount however will surely keep it going thanks a lot once again guys for clearing my doubt. smile

Missing