Need help to add M.2 SSD to my Acer Nitro 5

Need help to add M.2 SSD to my Acer Nitro 5

158°
Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0

Hello Guys,

I need suggestions to add M.2 SSD to my laptop.
It’s Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-31) [Intel i7 8th Gen/ 8GB/ 2GB Nvidia MX150 / 1TB 5400 RPM]

I want to add SSD to it, but NVMe PCIe SSDs like Samsung 970 EVO are way too expensive and Samsung 860 EVO is SATA 3 SSD in M.2 format.

Any better options for PCIe NVMe SSDs in M.2 format ???

Thanks

23 Comments  |  
6 Dimers
18157365 1092022577569460 9015892503473472591 n
Deal Subedar
122
1085
19

Buy trangender or <p style=colour:yellow > sandas ssd

cheap. But i think u can run sata m2 in nvme. And diff. Of .2 seconds is not worthy enough to spend that much. Watch on utube for comparison

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161

AN515-31 is limited to 2 lanes of PCI-E 3.0. So theoretically it won’t go beyond 2GBps. The top end NVMe drives like Samsung 970 Evo etc can touch 3.5 GBps with 4 lanes. Still Adata XPG SX8200 PRO is the cheapest at Rs 5150 for the 256GB model. Otherwise go for the WD SN500 the NVMe successor to the Blue lineup. DRAMless and x2 yet destroys SATA drives. Will eventually replace its predecessor at similar price points.Yet to arrive in India though.
Another alternative is Intel 660p 512GB at Rs 7.8k. Its x4 but being QLC it doesn’t matter a lot. Then again the Adata XPG SX8200 non-Pro 512GB at Rs 8k is the better option purely because its TLC and can sustain much higher perf. once the pseudoSLC cache is exhausted.
Edit: You need to be aware of BIOS incompatibility issues with certain NVMe drives. Plus SATA SSDs are significantly more power efficient than even the best NVMe ones.

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161

The biggest advantage of NVMe drives over SATA is the massively increased Random I/O perf.

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0
LIMBO wrote:

AN515-31 is limited to 2 lanes of PCI-E 3.0. So theoretically it won’t go beyond 2Gbps. The top end NVMe drives like Samsung 970 Evo etc can touch 3.5 Gbps with 4 lanes. Still Adata XPG SX8200 PRO is the cheapest at Rs 5150 for the 256GB model. Otherwise go for the WD SN500 the NVMe successor to the Blue lineup. DRAMless and x2 yet destroys SATA drives. Will eventually replace its predecessor at similar price points.Yet to arrive in India though.
Another alternative is Intel 660p 512GB at Rs 7.8k. Its x4 but being QLC it doesn’t matter a lot. Then again the Adata XPG SX8200 non-Pro 512GB at Rs 8k is the better option purely because its TLC and can sustain much higher perf. once the pseudoSLC cache is exhausted.
Edit: You need to be aware of BIOS incompatibility issues with certain NVMe drives. Plus SATA SSDs are significantly more power efficient than even the best NVMe ones.

Thanks for the info.

So, the performance of NVMe SSD on 2 lanes would be somewhat equal to SATA SSD (M.2)?

also how to get specifications (like no. of lanes and version) of the PCIe slot present on my machine?

Shall I order Samsung 860 EVO? Is it best among SATA SSDs?

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
Expand
Papa_ wrote:

Thanks for the info.

So, the performance of NVMe SSD on 2 lanes would be somewhat equal to SATA SSD (M.2)?

also how to get specifications (like no. of lanes and version) of the PCIe slot present on my machine?

Shall I order Samsung 860 EVO? Is it best among SATA SSDs?

I did mention that it would be around 2GBps theoretically. Real world perf. however will hover around 1.5GBps which is 2.5x the 500-550MBps that is characteristic of the fastest SATA drives. But unless your workloads would actually benefit from the extra perf. afforded by NVMe drives SATA is still plenty sufficient. Again the NVMe drives have a big edge when it comes to random perf. which matters a lot more than sequential transfers.
Hwinfo64 could display this info for the older Aspire series but not for the Nitro series. You can get this info from Acer forums.
Crucial MX500, Samsung 860 Evo and WD Blue are pretty much indistinguishable in their perf. However the first 2 have 5 years warranty while the WD is warranted for only 3 years. The 500GB versions of Crucial and WD are a lot cheaper than Samsung(8.5-9k) though at 6.7k and 7.3k respectively.

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0

Okay, I’m planning to invest around 5K and ~250 GB is sufficient.

So, one last thing, XPG SX8200 PRO or Samsung 860 EVO?
(assumed both are compatible with my laptop)

Considering everything from Brand Value and after-sales services to long term device performance.

Is it fine to order from onlyssd or primeabgb ?? Are any additional discounts available?

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
Papa_ wrote:

Okay, I’m planning to invest around 5K and ~250 GB is sufficient.

So, one last thing, XPG SX8200 PRO or Samsung 860 EVO?
(assumed both are compatible with my laptop)

Considering everything from Brand Value and after-sales services to long term device performance.

Is it fine to order from onlyssd or primeabgb ?? Are any additional discounts available?

I forgot to mention XPG SX8200 Pro as well as non-Pro are double-sided whereas Acer recommends single-sided ones. I think it should not matter for one as thick as Nitro 5 but at least it didn’t fit the svelte Dell XPS 13. Between the XPG SX8200 PRO and 860 Evo there’s no competition really when it comes to raw perf. The former is the winner hands down. When it comes to ASS, Samsung has the edge presumably. I think WD still offers door-to-door RMA service which should make them the standout in this regard.
Personally I feel the NVMe WD SN500, once it reaches these shores would be the best of the bunch. Should not be too long now.
Primeabgb/OnlySSD are reliable but I would imagine when it comes to returns they might not be as convenient/lenient as Amazon.
Edit: The 250GB versions, be they NVMe/SATA, are noticeably slower than their 500GB/1TB counterparts as dictated by NAND parallelism.
Edit2: The mobo reportedly lacks the M.2 screw and standoff. AFAIK no SSD includes them.
Edit3: Amongst NVMe SSDs, Intel 600p, Samsung 960,Adata SX6000 and a generic Hynix are confirmed to be working. A year back there were reports of some WD drives being problematic. You might need to switch from “AHCI” to “RST+Optane” in the BIOS settings.

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0

Where do they get the screw from?
Should I wait for the WD SN500? How long could it take?

I’m thinking of ordering from onlyssd because they are offering SX8200 for 5150 and amazon for 6300.

If there is any compatibility issue then they would not return the drive, is this you mean to say.

Do I have to change BIOS mode in case of WD Drives or just any drive?

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
20
0

Why do u need ssd is windows 10 slowing down your laptop?

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0
coder366 wrote:

Why do u need ssd is windows 10 slowing down your laptop?

Yea, it takes a lifetime to boot. Applications and Windows programs do not run flawlessly.
I’m into software development, so many dev tools lag on this machine.

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
Papa_ wrote:

Where do they get the screw from?
Should I wait for the WD SN500? How long could it take?

I’m thinking of ordering from onlyssd because they are offering SX8200 for 5150 and amazon for 6300.

If there is any compatibility issue then they would not return the drive, is this you mean to say.

Do I have to change BIOS mode in case of WD Drives or just any drive?

The screw is included along with the mobo. Acer cheaped out by not including a 5 cent part. You can however repurpose the screws used to hold the HDD bracket. Many people use without a standoff but its necessary to prevent potential bending of the SSD and coming in contact with the mobo. Probably could use a thermocole cutout. I saw it in a YouTube video.
SX8200 PRO usually retails around 5999. Couple that with 10% cashback/discount offers and you get very close to OnlySSD price. Introductory price on OnlySSD was 4940. IIRC on Amazon lowest ever was 5499.
Regarding OnlySSD RMA: There was a bloke who had to send his mobo along with the SSD so that they could confirm that it was indeed not working in it. Otherwise they could deduct 10-15% from the refunded amount if it works when they test it on their own.
AHCI mode works well for SATA. For NVMe drives in general and not just WD ones you might need to switch modes.
I don’t know when SN500 will be available but considering its been available stateside for a month or so I would say a few weeks perhaps. And because the SN500 is DRAMless ( to keep costs down ) while it is way faster than any SATA SSD in every benchmark its actually slower in random reads( 8k vs 11k IOPS ).

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

The screw is included along with the mobo. Acer cheaped out by not including a 5 cent part. You can however repurpose the screws used to hold the HDD bracket. Many people use without a standoff but its necessary to prevent potential bending of the SSD and coming in contact with the mobo. Probably could use a thermocole cutout. I saw it in a YouTube video.
SX8200 PRO usually retails around 5999. Couple that with 10% cashback/discount offers and you get very close to OnlySSD price. Introductory price on OnlySSD was 4940. IIRC on Amazon lowest ever was 5499.
Regarding OnlySSD RMA: There was a bloke who had to send his mobo along with the SSD so that they could confirm that it was indeed not working in it. Otherwise they could deduct 10-15% from the refunded amount if it works when they test it on their own.
AHCI mode works well for SATA. For NVMe drives in general and not just WD ones you might need to switch modes.
I don’t know when SN500 will be available but considering its been available stateside for a month or so I would say a few weeks perhaps. And because the SN500 is DRAMless ( to keep costs down ) while it is way faster than any SATA SSD in every benchmark its actually slower in random reads( 8k vs 11k IOPS ).

Thank you, brother, for all the help.

Finally, I have upgraded to XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB which I ordered from primeabgb for ₹5185.

This is the performance of the disk.

The technician used one of the four screws from SATA HDD. laughing

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
Expand
Papa_ wrote:

Thank you, brother, for all the help.

Finally, I have upgraded to XPG SX8200 Pro 256 GB which I ordered from primeabgb for ₹5185.

This is the performance of the disk.

The technician used one of the four screws from SATA HDD. laughing

Hey. Thanks. I was waiting for confirmation that the Adata drive would fit. And the tip about HDD screw came from @kuduku who owns a Ryzen Swift 3. Did you get it installed at Acer authorised service center? If yes how much did it cost you? Rs 900 odd?
Edit: Did you use a standoff? The Hwinfo readings regarding x4 link speed don’t seem to be correct as Sequential speeds should cross 3GBps if that were the case. Whereas they are capped below the theoretical 2GBps limit.

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

Hey. Thanks. I was waiting for confirmation that the Adata drive would fit. And the tip about HDD screw came from @kuduku who owns a Ryzen Swift 3. Did you get it installed at Acer authorised service center? If yes how much did it cost you? Rs 900 odd?
Edit: Did you use a standoff? The Hwinfo readings regarding x4 link speed don’t seem to be correct as Sequential speeds should cross 3GBps if that were the case. Whereas they are capped below the theoretical 2GBps limit.

I am having ADP, so asked them for an onsite visit regarding heating issues. The technician was humble and he installed it for free.

No, there was no need for the standoff.

Even I doubt the 4x lanes description from HWiNFO.

You mean Adata has capped it to 2GBps ??

They provided a DIY Heatsink, So I installed it also.

https://i.imgur.com/GJboaeU.jpg

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
Expand
Papa_ wrote:

I am having ADP, so asked them for an onsite visit regarding heating issues. The technician was humble and he installed it for free.

No, there was no need for the standoff.

Even I doubt the 4x lanes description from HWiNFO.

You mean Adata has capped it to 2GBps ??

They provided a DIY Heatsink, So I installed it also.

https://i.imgur.com/GJboaeU.jpg

Cool. There is no Acer authorised service center in my city. But they outsource their services to a third-party who charge Rs 350 for SSD installation. Better than the Rs 900 odd in authorised centre plus extra expenses involved in traveling to Bangalore. I am planning to install it myself. I had almost opened it up the last time to check for the screw but got stuck around the USB ports.

No I meant x2 is limited to 2GBps only. Even the 256GB version is capable of 3GBps sequential speeds albeit as long as its pseudoSLC cache is not overwhelmed. Unlikely to encounter such a scenario even in heavy workloads though.
Keep an eye on operating temps. The heatsinks are mostly useless and in some cases have been known to cause additional heat buildup.
BTW did you have to switch from AHCI to RST+Optane?

Dad
Deal Newbie
103
99
0
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

Cool. There is no Acer authorised service center in my city. But they outsource their services to a third-party who charge Rs 350 for SSD installation. Better than the Rs 900 odd in authorised centre plus extra expenses involved in traveling to Bangalore. I am planning to install it myself. I had almost opened it up the last time to check for the screw but got stuck around the USB ports.

No I meant x2 is limited to 2GBps only. Even the 256GB version is capable of 3GBps sequential speeds albeit as long as its pseudoSLC cache is not overwhelmed. Unlikely to encounter such a scenario even in heavy workloads though.
Keep an eye on operating temps. The heatsinks are mostly useless and in some cases have been known to cause additional heat buildup.
BTW did you have to switch from AHCI to RST+Optane?

Sorry for the late reply.

No, I didn’t have to make any changes in the BIOS. It worked like a charm.

Missing
Deal Newbie
50
20
0

Hola amigos una consulta quiero instalar una Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD 250 GB a mi laptop Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51) [Intel i5 / 12GB / Nvidia GeForce GTX-1050 / 1TB ] , pero no se si es compatible …..alguien podria ayudarme

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
fernandoafrm934 wrote:

Hola amigos una consulta quiero instalar una Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD 250 GB a mi laptop Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51) [Intel i5 / 12GB / Nvidia GeForce GTX-1050 / 1TB ] , pero no se si es compatible …..alguien podria ayudarme

Most likely yes. But cross-check in Acer forums for instance https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/563302...

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
fernandoafrm934 wrote:

Hola amigos una consulta quiero instalar una Samsung 970 EVO PLUS M.2 SSD 250 GB a mi laptop Acer Nitro 5 (AN515-51) [Intel i5 / 12GB / Nvidia GeForce GTX-1050 / 1TB ] , pero no se si es compatible …..alguien podria ayudarme

In case you haven’t pulled the trigger on the Samsung one and/or willing to save substantial bucks the Silicon Power P34A80 which put up a stellar show in reviews by Anandtech and Tom’s Hardware is also compatible. I got the 512GB model which is selling for a mere $60 on Amazon USA. Worked OOB.

Missing
Deal Cadet
138
729
30

@LIMBO Did you get it shipped to India or someone brought it for you?

Missing
Deal Cadet
138
729
30

Btw , how’s the Corsair 510 ? Worth importing the 500gb? Is it qlc

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
schumacher wrote:

@LIMBO Did you get it shipped to India or someone brought it for you?

No I got it from Primeabgb. They were on sale. While I debated whether I really needed the 1TB one its price shot up from a shocking low (by Indian standards that is) Rs 9k to 12k.Still the 256/512GB for 3749/6349 are pretty great.

Missing
Analyst
1
5732
161
schumacher wrote:

Btw , how’s the Corsair 510 ? Worth importing the 500gb? Is it qlc

Corsair MP510 is pretty much identical to the Silicon Power P34A80 right down to the controller Phison E12 and NAND, Toshiba 64-layer 3D TLC. Corsair is much more geneous with the rated endurance though. Doesn’t make sense financially to import stuff nowadays.

Missing