need to upgrade Ram of my laptop- Need help reg...

need to upgrade Ram of my laptop- Need help regarding selecting product

53°
Goku
Deal Cadet
62
152
0

Hello.

I am planning to upgrade Ram of my 2017 Lenovo Yoga 510-14IKB Laptop (ideapad) – Type 80VB – Model 80VB00ADIH. to 8/16 GB

Product link
https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/lap...

I am checking in accessory it is showing it has only one ram slot and supports up 16 GB DDR4

Precisely, it showing 8/16G DDR4 SODIMM MemoryB-WW/B-JP

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/in/en/products/lap...

I am planning to buy 8/16 GB Ram from Amazon/Flipkart this Black Friday if I find a good deal.

But on searching on both this platform I am getting confused as to which ram is suitable for my laptop?

Can you please provide me a link of which good quality DDR4 ram is suitable for upgrading for my laptop.

Thanks

10 Comments  |  
4 Dimers
Goku
Deal Cadet
62
152
0

Please help

Missing
Analyst
1
5806
162

Install HWInfo64 for detailed info of currently installed RAM.
It ought to be 2400MHz DDR4. I had recently purchased a 16GB module from Crucial/Micron, the 2nd largest DRAM manufacturer. VFM and 10 years warranty with good service coverage. Gets along just fine with the pre-installed Adata 4GB one.

Goku
Deal Cadet
62
152
0

Thanks

Goku
Deal Cadet
62
152
0

What is 2400MHz (ram speed?)? Is the same number required or can higher be used?

Missing
Deal Subedar
477
1181
25
Jakkaas wrote:

What is 2400MHz (ram speed?)? Is the same number required or can higher be used?

Higher speed can be used but they might creat Blue Screen Of Death too. Basically if you have dual channel support on your laptop, n you choose to add a 16GB 2666MHz stick, then your computer will operate both sticks at 2400 MHz. So, what’s the point of buying a speedier n so expensive RAM stick. Just stick to your original spec.
Edit: if you have a dual channel support and you chose to a RAM stick, whose size is different to your original one, say you have 8 GB n you chose a 16Gb one, then upto 16GB you will get dual channel support on 16GB and and remaining 8GB will be used normal memory. Some people report of conflicts. So, it is always safer to use two memory sticks of the same size
Check this article to further know about speed of RAM
https://www.dell.com/support/article/yu/en/yubs...

Missing
Analyst
1
5806
162
Expand
bikidas2060580 wrote:

Higher speed can be used but they might creat Blue Screen Of Death too. Basically if you have dual channel support on your laptop, n you choose to add a 16GB 2666MHz stick, then your computer will operate both sticks at 2400 MHz. So, what’s the point of buying a speedier n so expensive RAM stick. Just stick to your original spec.
Edit: if you have a dual channel support and you chose to a RAM stick, whose size is different to your original one, say you have 8 GB n you chose a 16Gb one, then upto 16GB you will get dual channel support on 16GB and and remaining 8GB will be used normal memory. Some people report of conflicts. So, it is always safer to use two memory sticks of the same size
Check this article to further know about speed of RAM
https://www.dell.com/support/article/yu/en/yubs...

No issue with mixing RAM modules of different capacities w.r.t. dual channel mode. Intel Flex Memory takes care of that and it has been around for 15 years or more.

Missing
Deal Subedar
477
1181
25
Expand
LIMBO wrote:

No issue with mixing RAM modules of different capacities w.r.t. dual channel mode. Intel Flex Memory takes care of that and it has been around for 15 years or more.

Some people still report issues with those things.
Edit: I am aware of computer manufacturers give option to choose a 12GB combo. Dell n Lenovo do it quite often. But experienced system builders stick to same sticks of same size, frequency n manufacturer. 🙂 Why different size might cause issue is still beyond my comprehension and since I have not seen the issue in my naked eyes, I can’t tell the real thing.

Goku
Deal Cadet
62
152
0

I have a single ram slot. Is dual channel thing different than slot?

Missing
Deal Subedar
477
1181
25

Dual Channel requires two RAM slots bhai

Missing