] Indian Ingenuity: Bade Chacha [

] Indian Ingenuity: Bade Chacha [

Score: 4 Votes: 6

Vote down Reasons

  • Repost : 1
Score: 4 Votes: 6

Vote down Reasons

  • Repost : 1
Score: 4 Votes: 6

Vote down Reasons

  • Repost : 1
Score: 4 Votes: 6

Vote down Reasons

  • Repost : 1
Desidime logo
237 Comments  |  
29 Dimers
Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56376
1110

This is NOT a story of simple Indian “jugaad”. This is a true case of genuine, well-planned, farsighted Indian business sense. It’s narrated by an Air India pilot in the late 1980s.

Read on…!

The world started taking notice of the ‘Indian Ingenuity’ about the time when software professionals were needed to help businesses with the Y2K issue. After that, our IT engineers started spreading their wings all over. Everyone has now accepted that India had arrived on the brain map of the world. But we know that this was not the real beginning – our ingenuity has a long history.

I would like to share one incident with you, which took place on one of my flights to prove my point. It could become a case study for any good business management school/ college. You can decide about that after you read the story.

THE FLIGHT

This happened on one of my flights when I was flying the Airbus-310 in Air India to the Gulf. It was on Jeddah – Mumbai sector some time in 1987/88. This was way before 9/11 attack on the World Trade Centre. Terrorism had not shown its ugly face on the flights yet. The atmosphere on the flights used to be very cordial and friendly. I used to follow a routine on all my flights which I continued with till my retirement in 1998 . After reaching the designated altitude and settling down for some time, I would hand over the controls to my co-pilot and take a walk around in the aircraft. I would go right up to the tail section of the aeroplane to meet the passengers on board and the crew as well. This habit of mine kept the cabin crew on their toes and the passengers were happy to see their pilot mixing around with them. The fear of terrorists, terrorism was unheard of. Those were the wonderful and blissful days of freedom on board the aircraft.

On this particular flight, when I reached the tail section I found a very strange group of people. They were really odd looking passengers. Some of them were maimed, some looked polio affected or with some deformity. They all were dressed very poorly. They did not look like Gulf returnees. After flying in the Gulf for a long time, we could make out a Gulf returnee at first glance. On seeing such a crowd I asked our In-flight Supervisor if these people had asked for some sort of help on landing .The answer was ’No’. A normal passenger in such a condition would certainly ask for a wheelchair. All that looked very odd to me. So after my round when I got back to the cockpit it kept bugging me about that odd group. I thought that I must investigate more about them.

So after some time I went back again to the tail section of the aircraft and asked the purser who was working in that section about the group .He told me that the group had two persons looking after all of them. I met those guys and started talking to them. I asked them where are they from. On seeing me in uniform they were very reluctant to talk to me. On persisting one of them said that they were from Eastern UP. I told them that I had also stayed in that part of our country for some time when I was posted to Air force Station at Gorakhpur .They could not believe me as one of them was from Gorakhpur. After exchanging few notes they were convinced that I was telling the truth. Then the next thing I asked them was if they wanted to see the ‘Hawai Jahaj’, the airplane. Of course, they were keen. So I took both of them to the front and showed the cockpit from the door. On seeing all that they were just speechless. By now they were very much at home with me. Now when I asked them a few more questions, the whole story came tumbling out – and what a story that was! What I heard was just mind boggling.

THE STORY

The group was of about 25/30 people. They were all Muslim beggars from Eastern UP. They were brought to Jeddah for ‘UMRAH’ pilgrimage before the start of the month of ‘Ramadan’ by their ‘Bade Chacha’ who was sitting up front somewhere. Now they all were going back after ‘Ramadan’ and after the Id celebrations, There is NO problem about getting their passports and other permissions as there is no quota for ‘Umrah’ pilgrimage. They all stayed in a cheap ‘Musafirkhana’ in Jeddah. Their ONLY job during their stay at Jeddah was that during ‘Ramadan’ every evening they had to go and BEG in front different mosques in the city. At the end of the day all the money that was collected by them would be handed over to the ‘Bade Chacha’. Nothing more was required from them. After they reached their homes in India, they all would be given Rs. 10,000 / (Ten thousand) cash. That sort of money they would never see again in their life. When they told me how all that was done, I had to salute the INGENUITY of their ‘Bade Chacha’.

MODUS OPERANDI

This is how the things worked. The BOSS (Bade Chacha) used to collect 25 to 30 Muslim beggars in UP well before the beginning of ‘Ramadan’- month of fasting. He would have no difficulty in getting passports/Visa for them from the Lucknow Passport Office. Any Muslim could apply for ‘Umrah’ pilgrimage at any time as there are no restrictions on their travel. He would then approach Air India through his travel agent for a group booking asking for the cheapest rates which he could get. After reaching Jeddah he would accommodate them in the cheapest ‘Musafirkhana’. As there is no big rush like the HAJ time, he would have no problem on that. He would spend very little on that account. Food for all these people would come from different mosques, where food is distributed to any one before the sunrise and after the sunset. Expenses on food during the day are nil as all of them are supposed to be fasting. So for the whole month of Ramadan feeding this big group was NO big problem.

Now during Ramadan, before breaking their daily fast the local Arabs would like to dole out alms (big amounts) to the needy and poor. So all these people would BEG in front different mosques and the money collected would be given to the Boss. After Ramadan there would be Id celebrations where these people would earn even more. So after a nice stay of more than a month in Jeddah they would head back home. A very smart operation performed by any standard.

After a long chat I told them to get back to their seats with a promise that they will introduce me to their ‘Bade Chacha’ after landing.

AFTER LANDING

After reaching Mumbai when we, the cockpit crew, reached the customs hall, I found my friends with their Bade Chacha waiting for their checked in baggage. So I went and met the boss. He looked like a very nice and docile man. When I asked him about his activities, he told me that he was doing all this for these poor people. They would never get a chance to do the HAJ pilgrimage so as good hearted man he was doing all this. I told him that I very much appreciated his good deed and we parted.

While going back home I started thinking about the whole flight and my encounter with this group of people. I found that this to be a fantastic case of WINWINWIN situation. Going over in my mind I realised that every single person is happy in this story.

- The Arab who doled out alms to the needy before breaking his fast during Ramadan was very happy for doing some good deed for that day.
- The Muslim Beggar, who could never have imagined a plane ride and the religious pilgrimage, was able to do so. Then for more than a month he had a food feast! Free of charge. On finishing the whole trip he would be given ten thousand rupees cash in hand. He would be the happiest man on the earth.

- And the ‘Bade Chacha’… When we all thought and calculated about the whole operation we realised that this man even after taking care of all the expenses for the group must have earned a cool amount of ten to twelve lakh of rupees per trip. One can imagine the value of that in 1987. So he too would a very happy man.

The events on this whole flight got me thinking .Every single person involved in this story was happy and satisfied. But there was a tinge of exploitation somewhere at some stage. I could not pin point it where! So I wrote an article on the episode which published in one of the Marathi newspapers. I thought I had covered all the angles of the story. BUT that was not the case – there was more!

TAILPIECE

After about a month when I was going on a flight, one of the Immigration officers came to me and asked me my name and then introduced himself. He had read my article in the newspaper and he wanted to talk about that. The information he came out with was even more baffling and much more interesting. Since he was working at the airport, his info was very authentic.

This was the time when Indian economy had not opened up to the world markets as yet. Gadgets like Washing machines, VCR’s, TV’s were very much in demand. So the travel agent who had booked this group would import such gadgets on their names as ‘UNACCOMPANIED’ baggage later on. Those poor people would not know anything about this at all. The custom rule was that passengers can get such stuff into the country within three months of their arrival date. So very thing was proper and legal. There was a ready market available for such items which would be sold with very big premiums. So now the travel agent and few officers shared the loot. This was the fourth or fifth angle to my story. MIND BOGGLING.

I hope now you will agree with me that this is qualifies as a case study for any Business Management school/college. This was a Win-Win-Win-Win situation, everyone is happy in the end. One thing is for sure, you can’t beat the INDIAN INGENUITY at making the best use of the system.

Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56376
1110

Thank you sir,,, GOD MORNING ,,,,,,,,,,,Friend,,,,,,,,,, GOD THINK GOOD FOR ME THEN I GOT ,,,

From: ‘DR. MAHESH’ via Keep_Mailing [mailto:[email protected]..om]
Sent: 13 May 2016 07:12
To: Undisclosed recipients:
Subject: [ ::: ♥Keep_Mailing♥ ::: ]™ Thoughtful Story !

JUDGE YOURSELF

Once upon a time there was a painter who had just completed his course. He took 3 days and painted beautiful scenery. He wanted people’s opinion about his caliber and painting skills.

He put his creation at a busy street-crossing. And just down below aboard which read -“I have painted this piece. Since I’m new to this profession I might have committed some mistakes in my strokes etc. Please put a cross wherever you see a mistake.”

While he came back in the evening to collect his painting he was completely shattered to see that whole canvass was filled with Xs(crosses) and some people had even written their comments on the painting.

Disheartened and broken completely he ran to his master’s place and burst into tears.

This young artist was breathing heavily and master heard him saying"I’m useless and if this is what I have learnt to paint I’m not worth becoming a painter. People have rejected me completely. I feel like dying"

Master smiled and suggested “My Son, I will prove that you are a greatartist and have learnt a flawless painting. Do as I say without questioning it. It WILL work.”

Young artist reluctantly agreed and two days later early morning he presented a replica of his earlier painting to his master. Master took that gracefully and smiled.

“Come with me.” master said.

They reached the same street-square early morning and displayed the same painting exactly at the same place. Now master took out another board which read -“Gentlemen, I have painted this piece. Since I’m new to this profession I might have committed some mistakes in my strokes etc. I have put a box with colors and brushes just below. Please do a favor. If you see a mistake, kindly pick up the brush and correct it.”

Master and disciple walked back home.

They both visited the place same evening. Young painter was surprised to see that actually there was not a single correction done so far. Next day again they visited and found painting remained untouched. They say the painting was kept there for a month for no correction came in!

Moral of the story :

It is easier to criticize, but DIFFICULT TO IMPROVE!

So don’t get carried away or judge yourself by someone else’s criticism and feel depressed…

JUDGE YOURSELF! YOU ARE YOUR BEST JUDGE!!!

@eskimo
Avatar
Deal Subedar
0
71
1488
22
@[email protected]_0_0_D wrote:

This is NOT a story of simple Indian “jugaad”. This is a true case of genuine, well-planned, farsighted Indian business sense. It’s narrated by an Air India pilot in the late 1980s.

Read on…!

The world started taking notice of the ‘Indian Ingenuity’ about the time when software professionals were needed to help businesses with the Y2K issue. After that, our IT engineers started spreading their wings all over. Everyone has now accepted that India had arrived on the brain map of the world. But we know that this was not the real beginning – our ingenuity has a long history.

I would like to share one incident with you, which took place on one of my flights to prove my point. It could become a case study for any good business management school/ college. You can decide about that after you read the story.

THE FLIGHT

This happened on one of my flights when I was flying the Airbus-310 in Air India to the Gulf. It was on Jeddah – Mumbai sector some time in 1987/88. This was way before 9/11 attack on the World Trade Centre. Terrorism had not shown its ugly face on the flights yet. The atmosphere on the flights used to be very cordial and friendly. I used to follow a routine on all my flights which I continued with till my retirement in 1998 . After reaching the designated altitude and settling down for some time, I would hand over the controls to my co-pilot and take a walk around in the aircraft. I would go right up to the tail section of the aeroplane to meet the passengers on board and the crew as well. This habit of mine kept the cabin crew on their toes and the passengers were happy to see their pilot mixing around with them. The fear of terrorists, terrorism was unheard of. Those were the wonderful and blissful days of freedom on board the aircraft.

On this particular flight, when I reached the tail section I found a very strange group of people. They were really odd looking passengers. Some of them were maimed, some looked polio affected or with some deformity. They all were dressed very poorly. They did not look like Gulf returnees. After flying in the Gulf for a long time, we could make out a Gulf returnee at first glance. On seeing such a crowd I asked our In-flight Supervisor if these people had asked for some sort of help on landing .The answer was ’No’. A normal passenger in such a condition would certainly ask for a wheelchair. All that looked very odd to me. So after my round when I got back to the cockpit it kept bugging me about that odd group. I thought that I must investigate more about them.

So after some time I went back again to the tail section of the aircraft and asked the purser who was working in that section about the group .He told me that the group had two persons looking after all of them. I met those guys and started talking to them. I asked them where are they from. On seeing me in uniform they were very reluctant to talk to me. On persisting one of them said that they were from Eastern UP. I told them that I had also stayed in that part of our country for some time when I was posted to Air force Station at Gorakhpur .They could not believe me as one of them was from Gorakhpur. After exchanging few notes they were convinced that I was telling the truth. Then the next thing I asked them was if they wanted to see the ‘Hawai Jahaj’, the airplane. Of course, they were keen. So I took both of them to the front and showed the cockpit from the door. On seeing all that they were just speechless. By now they were very much at home with me. Now when I asked them a few more questions, the whole story came tumbling out – and what a story that was! What I heard was just mind boggling.

THE STORY

The group was of about 25/30 people. They were all Muslim beggars from Eastern UP. They were brought to Jeddah for ‘UMRAH’ pilgrimage before the start of the month of ‘Ramadan’ by their ‘Bade Chacha’ who was sitting up front somewhere. Now they all were going back after ‘Ramadan’ and after the Id celebrations, There is NO problem about getting their passports and other permissions as there is no quota for ‘Umrah’ pilgrimage. They all stayed in a cheap ‘Musafirkhana’ in Jeddah. Their ONLY job during their stay at Jeddah was that during ‘Ramadan’ every evening they had to go and BEG in front different mosques in the city. At the end of the day all the money that was collected by them would be handed over to the ‘Bade Chacha’. Nothing more was required from them. After they reached their homes in India, they all would be given Rs. 10,000 / (Ten thousand) cash. That sort of money they would never see again in their life. When they told me how all that was done, I had to salute the INGENUITY of their ‘Bade Chacha’.

MODUS OPERANDI

This is how the things worked. The BOSS (Bade Chacha) used to collect 25 to 30 Muslim beggars in UP well before the beginning of ‘Ramadan’- month of fasting. He would have no difficulty in getting passports/Visa for them from the Lucknow Passport Office. Any Muslim could apply for ‘Umrah’ pilgrimage at any time as there are no restrictions on their travel. He would then approach Air India through his travel agent for a group booking asking for the cheapest rates which he could get. After reaching Jeddah he would accommodate them in the cheapest ‘Musafirkhana’. As there is no big rush like the HAJ time, he would have no problem on that. He would spend very little on that account. Food for all these people would come from different mosques, where food is distributed to any one before the sunrise and after the sunset. Expenses on food during the day are nil as all of them are supposed to be fasting. So for the whole month of Ramadan feeding this big group was NO big problem.

Now during Ramadan, before breaking their daily fast the local Arabs would like to dole out alms (big amounts) to the needy and poor. So all these people would BEG in front different mosques and the money collected would be given to the Boss. After Ramadan there would be Id celebrations where these people would earn even more. So after a nice stay of more than a month in Jeddah they would head back home. A very smart operation performed by any standard.

After a long chat I told them to get back to their seats with a promise that they will introduce me to their ‘Bade Chacha’ after landing.

AFTER LANDING

After reaching Mumbai when we, the cockpit crew, reached the customs hall, I found my friends with their Bade Chacha waiting for their checked in baggage. So I went and met the boss. He looked like a very nice and docile man. When I asked him about his activities, he told me that he was doing all this for these poor people. They would never get a chance to do the HAJ pilgrimage so as good hearted man he was doing all this. I told him that I very much appreciated his good deed and we parted.

While going back home I started thinking about the whole flight and my encounter with this group of people. I found that this to be a fantastic case of WINWINWIN situation. Going over in my mind I realised that every single person is happy in this story.

- The Arab who doled out alms to the needy before breaking his fast during Ramadan was very happy for doing some good deed for that day.
- The Muslim Beggar, who could never have imagined a plane ride and the religious pilgrimage, was able to do so. Then for more than a month he had a food feast! Free of charge. On finishing the whole trip he would be given ten thousand rupees cash in hand. He would be the happiest man on the earth.

- And the ‘Bade Chacha’… When we all thought and calculated about the whole operation we realised that this man even after taking care of all the expenses for the group must have earned a cool amount of ten to twelve lakh of rupees per trip. One can imagine the value of that in 1987. So he too would a very happy man.

The events on this whole flight got me thinking .Every single person involved in this story was happy and satisfied. But there was a tinge of exploitation somewhere at some stage. I could not pin point it where! So I wrote an article on the episode which published in one of the Marathi newspapers. I thought I had covered all the angles of the story. BUT that was not the case – there was more!

TAILPIECE

After about a month when I was going on a flight, one of the Immigration officers came to me and asked me my name and then introduced himself. He had read my article in the newspaper and he wanted to talk about that. The information he came out with was even more baffling and much more interesting. Since he was working at the airport, his info was very authentic.

This was the time when Indian economy had not opened up to the world markets as yet. Gadgets like Washing machines, VCR’s, TV’s were very much in demand. So the travel agent who had booked this group would import such gadgets on their names as ‘UNACCOMPANIED’ baggage later on. Those poor people would not know anything about this at all. The custom rule was that passengers can get such stuff into the country within three months of their arrival date. So very thing was proper and legal. There was a ready market available for such items which would be sold with very big premiums. So now the travel agent and few officers shared the loot. This was the fourth or fifth angle to my story. MIND BOGGLING.

I hope now you will agree with me that this is qualifies as a case study for any Business Management school/college. This was a Win-Win-Win-Win situation, everyone is happy in the end. One thing is for sure, you can’t beat the INDIAN INGENUITY at making the best use of the system.


samething happening in corporate too..

Bade chacha – corporate
Muslim beggars – Onsite sofware engineers or indian guy who work in foreign office of client.

Flight and allowance – free or pay by corporate
corporate companies get half the salary given by foreign client, now software guys work hard and get half share…some co-relation ??

Osho
Critic
23
322
15142
229

@desibuddy Did you need to quote the entire post to give your comparison? https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_confused.gif
But your comparison was right. https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

“you can’t beat the INDIAN INGENUITY at making the best use of the system.”

It’s not the best use of the system, it’s the worst way to exploit the system. https://cdn3.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_sad.gif

Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56376
1110

There were these two blondes driving along the highway looking for a place to stop and picnic.

The first blonde says, “Let’s stop here, and have our picnic under that tree.”

The other says, “No! Let’s have it right here in the middle of the road.”

They argued about it for a bit, but finally agreed to have it in the middle of the road.

All of a sudden, a car comes speeding towards them and has to swerve into the tree to keep from hitting them.

The one blonde says to the other, “See? If we were under that tree, we’d be
dead now!”
-———-

@asoka guess

Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56376
1110

https://i.imgur.com/veC6i3H.jpg

@Coupon Kumar @infrared1100 @Gr"@[email protected]@[email protected]":http://www.desidime.com/users/...14 @Green Arrow @prinkle

Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56376
1110

एक लड़की अपनी सहेली से : आज कुछ हेवीपन फील कर रही हूँ !😔😔

सहेली : हेवीपन माने ?😳😳

लड़की : भारीनेस ।।😇

😃 हिंदी और अंग्रेजी दोनो की आत्मा तड़प उठी🤓😂😁😁

Draw
Deal Colonel
10
1,184
56376
1110

Find out the logical mistake in this sentence:

Mary, in 1925 , told her friend, “My husband died in World War I.”

Very Interesting and Difficult too!
Those who will answer are real genius!
Think think….

@Plato @Magus @asoka
@prinkle @mahidada @Tejaa

@vishusgh @A2Zdeals @no fpd

@eskimo @DealLooter0015
@AKA @sukhichd710
@DealsStreet @forgotten
@disclaimer @abhimishra
@Navneet @Smarty

@ankurjpr
@srocks
@BUTTERFLYBOY
@farzimaal
@krishan42933
@FeelMyL0Ve
@sheetalvarunyadav2223
@dealmate
@VaibhavJain
@JonSnow
@bookface

Shiva
Deal Captain
112
3,585
14375
117
@[email protected]_0_0_D wrote:

Find out the logical mistake in this sentence:

Mary, in 1925 , told her friend, “My husband died in World War I.”

Very Interesting and Difficult too!
Those who will answer are real genius!
Think think….

@Plato @Magus @asoka
@prinkle @mahidada @Tejaa

@vishusgh @A2Zdeals @no fpd

@eskimo @DealLooter0015
@AKA @sukhichd710
@DealsStreet @forgotten
@disclaimer @abhimishra
@Navneet @Smarty

@ankurjpr
@srocks
@BUTTERFLYBOY
@farzimaal
@krishan42933
@FeelMyL0Ve
@sheetalvarunyadav2223
@dealmate
@VaibhavJain
@JonSnow
@bookface


I see two mistakes, but they have to do more with what would make sense than with logic.

First, in 1925, World War II did not yet exist, so World War I would not have been known by that name. Instead, it was most commonly referred to as “The Great War”. It wasn’t until the world went to war again in the 1930’s and 1940’s that the names “World War I”, “WWI” and “First World War” were used. Also, with that war being the most recent/well-known war at the time, she probably would have just said “the War” and her friend would automatically have known to which war she was referring.

Second, Mary probably would not have said her husband died. Though her husband may have died of his wounds, he was more likely killed in action, so it would make more sense for Mary to say “My husband was killed in the War” or “My husband was killed in the Great War.”

Osho
Critic
23
322
15142
229
@Navneet wrote:

I see two mistakes, but they have to do more with what would make sense than with logic.

First, in 1925, World War II did not yet exist, so World War I would not have been known by that name. Instead, it was most commonly referred to as “The Great War”. It wasn’t until the world went to war again in the 1930’s and 1940’s that the names “World War I”, “WWI” and “First World War” were used. Also, with that war being the most recent/well-known war at the time, she probably would have just said “the War” and her friend would automatically have known to which war she was referring.

Second, Mary probably would not have said her husband died. Though her husband may have died of his wounds, he was more likely killed in action, so it would make more sense for Mary to say “My husband was killed in the War” or “My husband was killed in the Great War.”

Side note: Some of my relatives are buried in an old cemetery and there are many graves dated between 1917 and 1918 of men who died in “The Great War”.


Copy Paste! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Shiva
Deal Captain
112
3,585
14375
117
@Magus wrote:

@Navneet wrote:

I see two mistakes, but they have to do more with what would make sense than with logic.

First, in 1925, World War II did not yet exist, so World War I would not have been known by that name. Instead, it was most commonly referred to as “The Great War”. It wasn’t until the world went to war again in the 1930’s and 1940’s that the names “World War I”, “WWI” and “First World War” were used. Also, with that war being the most recent/well-known war at the time, she probably would have just said “the War” and her friend would automatically have known to which war she was referring.

Second, Mary probably would not have said her husband died. Though her husband may have died of his wounds, he was more likely killed in action, so it would make more sense for Mary to say “My husband was killed in the War” or “My husband was killed in the Great War.”

Side note: Some of my relatives are buried in an old cemetery and there are many graves dated between 1917 and 1918 of men who died in “The Great War”.


Copy Paste! https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif


This is what our Barood does https://cdn2.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_toungueout.gif

Missing