I was in desperately searching for a courier service to send a laptop to a remote place, which was serviceable by some courier agencies and speed post.
The options that I had, include Bluedart, DTDC and First flight. Most of the courier providers where reluctant to take laptop and some demanded a document from the excise department.
I read somewhere that one can trust speed post for sending laptop, if it is packed properly. I also read about horrifying stories of theft by courier people .
After reading all this I decided to take a chance with the government-run service and packed it with ample thermocol and bubble wrap. The speed post took a little longer but the laptop was delivered in one piece without any damage.
Will definitely recommend speed post for emergency situations like this where time is not a constraint.
PS: It all depends on how you pack the laptop as speed post uses railways to transport parcels and that too in bags.
Some tips for packing a laptop:
- Use a carton which is almost a fit for your laptop.
- Use ample thermocol to pack your laptop.
- Place a thin sheet of sponge between the screen and keyboard
- Use bubble wrap to pack the laptop along with thermocol. Put it on top of the carton too
- Most important — Pray for its safe delivery