With community growing larger, there will always be mis-understandings and accusations. We wanted to communicate with the community more openly and freely to learn more on what we can do better and also clear misconceptions, if any. I hope, this FAQ will allow you to know more about the process involved in selecting deals for Front Page.
We are striving to make our Front Page deals to be extremely awesome from Day 1, so the community gets the maximum benefit. Its our commitment, that Front page deals will be genuinely “awesome”. We may have not succeeded many times but we hope that we have improved.
- Deals are posted and voted by users like you.
- Every day, we (Admin Team and Moderators) go through the list of deals posted and collect an initial list of deals to be discussed further.
- Admin Team also puts forwards the front page suggestions received via “Suggest as FP” feature.
- Each deal is then individually researched by Moderators and Admin Team. We use data from past deals, google for more information to confirm that the price is indeed the lowest and also look at votes. Users comments are also carefully studied and each moderator or admin puts forward their view. This is done in Admin/Mods Forum.
- After the discussion and stamp of approval of community and couple of moderators, the deal is promoted to Front Page.
- Moderators and Admin team does the research. We use all possible tools we have at hand. With 5 moderators joining us, our research team has grown from 2 people to 7 people. Sometimes, some deals may have a lot of thumbs up even though the discount is merely 10% (eg: Mobile recharge or flight tickets). Such deals may also be promoted even if the savings may not be large but there is a huge demand for such discount.
- If there is a general consensus that the deal should be promoted to Front Page, then the deal is promoted. General consensus means that there is a majority approval.
- Deals are hand-picked since we believe that deals require significant research. Merely number of votes or clicks is not a good measure for deal popularity.
- Also there maybe obvious price mistakes which may receive many votes, but are often cancelled by merchants. Such deals are skipped from our selection process.
- Also there maybe certain deals, where we might be requested by merchants, to not promote it. So such deals are skipped too.
- We do consider the general reputation of the merchant, when promoting a deal.We owe responsibility to our users to ensure that new users are protected from shoddy merchants.
- Let me be clear that a merchant does not become less reputed if a price mistake or misuse of coupon was not honored.
- We do not accept any payment for promotion of deal as Front Page Deal. Let me be clear that we dont accept upfront payment for promotion of deal as Front Page deal. We have been approached by many merchants to push their deals as Front Page Deal but we have refused to accept any such offers, every single time.
- We may receive a small commission for few (not all) products from Front Page deals but such commission does not influence our decision in any way.
- The deal has to be approved by the community and then the moderators and Admin Team. So, there is no way to influence the process.
- We do not lock thread from voting after a deal becomes a Front Page Deal.
- We do our due diligence for such deals too. But sometimes users votes down a deal, after it comes on Front page, saying that its good but not FPD material.
- We hope that with growing community and increasing participation, we will get better every day.
- The Featured or exclusive deals does not go through the rigorous selection process.
Your first post may be FPD and even after posting thousand posts, you might not get FPD. There is no special preference given to anyone and all deals will be selected purely on merit.
We will try our best not to go wrong, but being mere mortals we might go wrong. But hopefully those instances would be few and far apart. You can also influence our decision by sending us 2 FPD alerts every day. We hope you will help us in being perfect
We will always stick to our commitment for Front Page deals on home page. We have been following the above guidelines and we hope this gives you confidence and assurance that you are looking at really good deals on Front Page.
PS: You are welcome to comment and ask sensible questions but dont try to create nuisance or just thread crap… Such posts would be ignored or deleted.