which device is better for extending wifi range...

which device is better for extending wifi range ? Repeater or Router as repeater ?

Score: 1 Votes: 1
Thumbimgcrop
Deal Cadet
0
64
130
49

Hi guys,

I am using BSNL broadband with Siemens modem + TPLink WR740N wifi router in my flat. I have also other flat at the same floor but distance is 40-50 feet from my flat.

I think buying LAN cable gonna cost me more and also not suitable for wiring. In a row there are 3 flats. and my FLAT is 101 and 103. There is neighbour’s flat (102) in between 101 & 103.

So what should I buy to extend wifi range to my other flat (103) from (101) ?

Should I buy Tenda A301 repeater or TENDA N301 router (can be used as repeater also).

Which of the above two device will give stable and long range of wifi signal ?

http://www.amazon.in/Tenda-A301-Wireless-Univer...

http://www.amazon.in/Tenda-N301-Wireless-Setup-...

  • In
12 Comments  |  
5 Dimers
Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
38015
639

@kool One thing that most people are not aware of is that your bandwidth gets cut in half when you use such cheap wireless repeaters. So it makes much more sense to buy another router/AP and hardwire it to the primary router, especially if you have a high-speed internet connection and are used to buffer-free streaming.

You can of course buy a dual band wireless repeater to avoid the bandwidth halving. But such dual radio repeaters cost a lot more and you would still lose some bandwidth if you are trying to extend the signal across multiple floors or over too many walls. Example: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00K...JQ

Thumbimgcrop
Deal Cadet
0
64
130
49
@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool One thing that most people are not aware of is that your bandwidth gets cut in half when you use such cheap wireless repeaters. So it makes much more sense to buy another router/AP and hardwire it to the primary router, especially if you have a high-speed internet connection and are used to buffer-free streaming.

You can of course buy a dual band wireless repeater to avoid the bandwidth halving. But such dual radio repeaters cost a lot more and you would still lose some bandwidth if you are trying to extend the signal across multiple floors or over too many walls. Example: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00K...JQ


Sir,

What do u mean by another router with hard wired ? btw , i have 2mbps -4mbps speed.

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
38015
639
@kool wrote:

@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool One thing that most people are not aware of is that your bandwidth gets cut in half when you use such cheap wireless repeaters. So it makes much more sense to buy another router/AP and hardwire it to the primary router, especially if you have a high-speed internet connection and are used to buffer-free streaming.

You can of course buy a dual band wireless repeater to avoid the bandwidth halving. But such dual radio repeaters cost a lot more and you would still lose some bandwidth if you are trying to extend the signal across multiple floors or over too many walls. Example: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00K...JQ


Sir,

What do u mean by another router with hard wired ? btw , i have 2mbps -4mbps speed.


What I mean is that you can buy another wireless router (say another TPLink WR740N) for the other flat and then connect your primary/old wireless router to the new wireless router via an ethernet cable. This way, you can operate separate wireless access points with strong signal strengths for each flat using the same BSNL internet connection.

P.S. I am assuming you need internet connection for multiple devices in the other flat as well.

Ezgif 144088130
Deal Subedar
8
306
2682
13

Not sure whether you should buy router or repeater but would suggest you to avoid tenda in any case

Thumbimgcrop
Deal Cadet
0
64
130
49
@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool wrote:

@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool One thing that most people are not aware of is that your bandwidth gets cut in half when you use such cheap wireless repeaters. So it makes much more sense to buy another router/AP and hardwire it to the primary router, especially if you have a high-speed internet connection and are used to buffer-free streaming.

You can of course buy a dual band wireless repeater to avoid the bandwidth halving. But such dual radio repeaters cost a lot more and you would still lose some bandwidth if you are trying to extend the signal across multiple floors or over too many walls. Example: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00K...JQ


Sir,

What do u mean by another router with hard wired ? btw , i have 2mbps -4mbps speed.


What I mean is that you can buy another wireless router (say another TPLink WR740N) for the other flat and then connect your primary/old wireless router to the new wireless router via an ethernet cable. This way, you can operate separate wireless access points with strong signal strengths for each flat using the same BSNL internet connection.

P.S. I am assuming you need internet connection for multiple devices in the other flat as well.


I can’t use lan cable between 2 flats, because there is neighbour’s flat in between my two flats. And its not secure.

ad bot
1
1
1
1
Ad Bot

I found this sponsored content on one of the ad networks.

Thumbimgcrop
Deal Cadet
0
64
130
49
@thunderguy wrote:

Not sure whether you should buy router or repeater but would suggest you to avoid tenda in any case


I have ordered A301 repeater , should I cancel it ? Or can i return after using ut for 1 day? (amazon )

Ezgif 144088130
Deal Subedar
8
306
2682
13
@kool wrote:

@thunderguy wrote:

Not sure whether you should buy router or repeater but would suggest you to avoid tenda in any case


I have ordered A301 repeater , should I cancel it ? Or can i return after using ut for 1 day? (amazon )


I have read bad reviews about Tenda routers & repeaters although I have one at home right now (Got free with Airtel Broadband Connection)
Maybe other dimers can help.

Hacker detected
Deal Subedar
0
80
1514
43
@kool wrote:


@thunderguy wrote:

Not sure whether you should buy router or repeater but would suggest you to avoid tenda in any case


I have ordered A301 repeater , should I cancel it ? Or can i return after using ut for 1 day? (amazon )

In my opinion use the repeater and check ur speed in the other flat.. if all goes well use it… Otherwise u can easily return on Amazon https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Thumbimgcrop
Deal Cadet
0
64
130
49
@hackerboys wrote:

@kool wrote:


@thunderguy wrote:

Not sure whether you should buy router or repeater but would suggest you to avoid tenda in any case


I have ordered A301 repeater , should I cancel it ? Or can i return after using ut for 1 day? (amazon )

In my opinion use the repeater and check ur speed in the other flat.. if all goes well use it… Otherwise u can easily return on Amazon https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

Ok… thanks

Thumbimgcrop
Deal Cadet
0
64
130
49
@thunderguy wrote:

@kool wrote:

@thunderguy wrote:

Not sure whether you should buy router or repeater but would suggest you to avoid tenda in any case


I have ordered A301 repeater , should I cancel it ? Or can i return after using ut for 1 day? (amazon )


I have read bad reviews about Tenda routers & repeaters although I have one at home right now (Got free with Airtel Broadband Connection)
Maybe other dimers can help.


thanks

Matrix stickmen
Dimer Of The Year 2015
23
1,847
38015
639
@kool wrote:

@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool wrote:

@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool One thing that most people are not aware of is that your bandwidth gets cut in half when you use such cheap wireless repeaters. So it makes much more sense to buy another router/AP and hardwire it to the primary router, especially if you have a high-speed internet connection and are used to buffer-free streaming.

You can of course buy a dual band wireless repeater to avoid the bandwidth halving. But such dual radio repeaters cost a lot more and you would still lose some bandwidth if you are trying to extend the signal across multiple floors or over too many walls. Example: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00K...JQ


Sir,

What do u mean by another router with hard wired ? btw , i have 2mbps -4mbps speed.


What I mean is that you can buy another wireless router (say another TPLink WR740N) for the other flat and then connect your primary/old wireless router to the new wireless router via an ethernet cable. This way, you can operate separate wireless access points with strong signal strengths for each flat using the same BSNL internet connection.

P.S. I am assuming you need internet connection for multiple devices in the other flat as well.


I can’t use lan cable between 2 flats, because there is neighbour’s flat in between my two flats. And its not secure.

If you think that way then even wireless is not secure. Anyway, it’s your call. I have already provided you all the information I could. Best of luck! https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

As for returning the Tenda repeater if it doesn’t work well for you, I am not sure if it’ll be allowed. Amazon now allows only replacement for certain categories. So please check if the Tenda repeater falls in one of those categories to avoid disappointment and confusion later on.

Missing
Deal Lieutenant
1
218
3070
52
@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool wrote:

@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool wrote:

@DealSeeker wrote:

@kool One thing that most people are not aware of is that your bandwidth gets cut in half when you use such cheap wireless repeaters. So it makes much more sense to buy another router/AP and hardwire it to the primary router, especially if you have a high-speed internet connection and are used to buffer-free streaming.

You can of course buy a dual band wireless repeater to avoid the bandwidth halving. But such dual radio repeaters cost a lot more and you would still lose some bandwidth if you are trying to extend the signal across multiple floors or over too many walls. Example: http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B00K...JQ


Sir,

What do u mean by another router with hard wired ? btw , i have 2mbps -4mbps speed.


What I mean is that you can buy another wireless router (say another TPLink WR740N) for the other flat and then connect your primary/old wireless router to the new wireless router via an ethernet cable. This way, you can operate separate wireless access points with strong signal strengths for each flat using the same BSNL internet connection.

P.S. I am assuming you need internet connection for multiple devices in the other flat as well.


I can’t use lan cable between 2 flats, because there is neighbour’s flat in between my two flats. And its not secure.

If you think that way then even wireless is not secure. Anyway, it’s your call. I have already provided you all the information I could. Best of luck! https://cdn1.desidime.com/assets/textile-editor/icon_smile.gif

As for returning the Tenda repeater if it doesn’t work well for you, I am not sure if it’ll be allowed. Amazon now allows only replacement for certain categories. So please check if the Tenda repeater falls in one of those categories to avoid disappointment and confusion later on.


I think he meant that the cable that he would have to use to connect the two devices in his flats, would not be secure as it may be exposed, depending on where he runs it through, and would be prone to tampering, as there is another flat in between his two flats.

Missing