1050 VA or 1550 VA inverter + Battery capacity

62°
Deal Cadet
gischethans

We have been using a 100 AH Exide battery paired with a Luminous Eco Watt+ 850 inverter for several years. Recently, I’ve been considering an upgrade to a larger battery, though I’m still deciding between a 150 AH and a 200 AH battery. While power cuts are rare, we experience extended outages during the rainy season.

A major consideration for me is the choice of inverter. The last time we purchased an inverter in 2018, the salesperson recommended a square wave inverter, claiming it to be more robust in thunderstorm-prone areas. However, I am now inclined to switch to a pure sine wave inverter, which I believe to be more technologically advanced and efficient.

In a discussion with an Exide dealer, they advised opting for a 1 KVA inverter rather than a 1.5 KVA variant, suggesting that the latter could lead to faster battery deterioration due to higher current supply. Is there any truth to this theory? Any insights or recommendations on the best choice of inverter and battery capacity would be greatly appreciated.

Top Comments
Post Tycoon Post Tycoon
Link Copied

Get a pure shine wave inverter it's much better for household appliances, the 1050 VA rated will be able to handle the load of 750-840 watt depends on the efficiency (usually at 90%), it has nothing to do with battery being deteriorated, but if your inverter load falls under 800watt it's just a waste of money to get a 1.5KVA unit, also the most reliable setup would be a dual battery setup if you thinking of crossing 1.2KVA on inverter load. As for battery i would suggest you to get 150AH battery instead of those bigger AH ones, it's simple theory while they are increasing the battery capacity but the battery size remains the same, how mysterious and how do they achieve that? by decreasing the size of lead coils laid in battery, they increase the number of coils but decrease their size to fit in 150AH container, you won't be getting the full backup of those big numbers and the life will be lesser than the 150AH ones.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

@gischethans - Use these calculations.

1. Calculate total Watts for the number of equipment's you are going to run on inverter backup.

Example: You got 3 fans, 35Watts each and 10 LED lights 6Watts each, TV's 300 watts

Total watts = 465Watts

2. Find the required VA rating for the inverter. 

VA = Total Watts X Power Factor (which is 0.7 or 0.8)

So in this example it will be 465X0.7 (to be on safer side) = 325.5 VA

Since you may not find a  325.5 VA inverter, go for the closest, say 400VA.

3. Find battery size.

Required/Calculated VA X Backup (in hours)

325.5 X 6Hrs = 1953 VAh

Regular inverter batteries ate 12V so the battery size you need is 

1953/12 = 162.75 Ah

So this what you are going to buy as per the above details.

Inverter = 400 VA

Battery = 180 Ah

Expected backup = 6Hrs

10 Comments  |  
7 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Look for copper transformer inverter. One of the best inverter to consider is SF SONIC POWERSMART SNPRO1200CU.

You can also consider exide gqp1450 if you don't get sf sonic one.

Post Tycoon Post Tycoon
Link Copied

Get a pure shine wave inverter it's much better for household appliances, the 1050 VA rated will be able to handle the load of 750-840 watt depends on the efficiency (usually at 90%), it has nothing to do with battery being deteriorated, but if your inverter load falls under 800watt it's just a waste of money to get a 1.5KVA unit, also the most reliable setup would be a dual battery setup if you thinking of crossing 1.2KVA on inverter load. As for battery i would suggest you to get 150AH battery instead of those bigger AH ones, it's simple theory while they are increasing the battery capacity but the battery size remains the same, how mysterious and how do they achieve that? by decreasing the size of lead coils laid in battery, they increase the number of coils but decrease their size to fit in 150AH container, you won't be getting the full backup of those big numbers and the life will be lesser than the 150AH ones.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
My load would generally be under 800W I suppose. It is usually fans/lights running on the inverter with occasional mixer grinder (750W) use. With the current inverter, it becomes necessary to turn off other appliances when the mixie has to run to avoid the overload warning. 
View 1 more reply
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

@gischethans - Use these calculations.

1. Calculate total Watts for the number of equipment's you are going to run on inverter backup.

Example: You got 3 fans, 35Watts each and 10 LED lights 6Watts each, TV's 300 watts

Total watts = 465Watts

2. Find the required VA rating for the inverter. 

VA = Total Watts X Power Factor (which is 0.7 or 0.8)

So in this example it will be 465X0.7 (to be on safer side) = 325.5 VA

Since you may not find a  325.5 VA inverter, go for the closest, say 400VA.

3. Find battery size.

Required/Calculated VA X Backup (in hours)

325.5 X 6Hrs = 1953 VAh

Regular inverter batteries ate 12V so the battery size you need is 

1953/12 = 162.75 Ah

So this what you are going to buy as per the above details.

Inverter = 400 VA

Battery = 180 Ah

Expected backup = 6Hrs

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

Sine wave inverter is must.

A 1050VA inverter would be sufficient for most average home usage during power outage.

The higher the battery capacity, the better, but ensure that the inverter you purchase supports the battery amperage you intend to buy.

Generous Generous
Link Copied

Higher ah means longer backup. 

For higher load you need 2 battery or 24v inverter. 

For 1000w+ load 2 battery is mostly recommended.

Drawback is either of battery can create problem so hard to rectify. 

Square wave is more prone to appliances problems than pure sine wave.

Last year I switched from 2 battery square wave to 1 battery sine wave as inverter was creating problems.

Reasons being very less power cuts in Delhi though they do happen.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Thank you! What was your old battery capacity? I am just being offered ₹2000 for my old 100 AH battery by the battery dealer. I am trying to figure out how to sell it for at least ₹5000. I paid around ₹10,000 for it in June 2021. 😒
View 1 more reply
replyuser
Click here to reply