Hot Deal

Credit Card Rejected? Here’s the Cooldown Period You Have to Wait

1309°
  • 10013
  • 115
  • Last Comment
  • Reasons

    Vote down Reasons

    • Invalid/User Specific Coupon/Deal : 1
Deal Major
bobby_123

In case you apply for a Credit Card and it gets rejected, in most cases, you cannot re-apply right away. It will get declined immediately. You have to wait for a specific period of time before you can apply again. This waiting period is termed as ‘Cooldown Period’.

Different banks can have different cooldown periods. In today’s post, I am listing down the cooldown periods for the most popular banks so that it helps you take an informed decision.

Things to Note:
  1. This cooldown period only applies to regular applications where you approach the bank for applying credit card and get rejected for any reason.
  2. In case you get a pre-approved credit card offer, the cooldown period doesn’t apply.
  3. In case you apply for a secured credit card against Fixed Deposit, the cooldown period doesn’t apply.
  4. Every time you apply, the bank will do a Hard Inquiry which may affect your CIBIL Score. Check out my other post to know about the CIBIL Inquiry Amounts of each bank.
Credit Cards’ Cooldown Period List:
Bank Cooldown Period Remarks
AU Bank 6 Months
Axis Bank No Cooldown 1
BOB Cards 3 Months
HDFC Bank 6 Months
ICICI Bank 6 Months
IndusInd Bank 3 Months
IDFC First Bank 6 Months
RBL Bank 3 Months
SBI No Cooldown
Yes Bank 3 Months

Remarks:

  1. Axis Bank has a 6 months cooldown period theoretically. But it is not strictly followed, especially if you apply via 3rd parties such as Flipkart App (for Axis Flipkart CC) or Google Pay App (for Axis Ace CC 1).
  2. SBI has no cooldown period. If you have your credit card rejected, you can easily re-apply again.

Please comment on other credit cards’ cooldown periods and I will update it. Thank you.

Expired
Disclaimer
We are not SEBI/IRDA registered. The information provided herein is for education purposes only. We will not be responsible for any of your profit/loss with this channel's suggestions. Consult your financial advisor before making any decisions.
Top Comments
Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
TechnoFrendz wrote:

For ICICI, my application got rejected instantly after submitting it. 

So I left thinking to apply for after few months.

Later they called me I guess it was almost one month, On call they confirmed my platinum card is approved. New application was applied from their end as they already had info from my old application. They confirmed the details again. No documents were required from my end.

In two days got confirmation email and then card dispatch. Also I was able to see card in iMobile app just after email.

So I think this cool down thing is decided as per customer relationship with Bank. 

The truth. If customer is a valuable one, bank will bend every rules to get that person a credit card. HDFC did that with my father.

114 Comments  |  
36 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
M.MAHI wrote:

Just basic details .. ?

Also tell do you have hdfc savings account?

yeah since December. 30-40k maintained

Post Emperor Post Emperor
Link Copied
Expand
Kochiro wrote:

yeah since December. 30-40k maintained

Its mean you have received pre-approved offer after 6 months? So need to wait 6 Months for pre-approved offers.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
Spanjaykumar wrote:

Its mean you have received pre-approved offer after 6 months? So need to wait 6 Months for pre-approved offers.

yeah you could say that but I also tried applying in december just right after I created my account.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
TechnoFrendz wrote:

For ICICI, my application got rejected instantly after submitting it. 

So I left thinking to apply for after few months.

Later they called me I guess it was almost one month, On call they confirmed my platinum card is approved. New application was applied from their end as they already had info from my old application. They confirmed the details again. No documents were required from my end.

In two days got confirmation email and then card dispatch. Also I was able to see card in iMobile app just after email.

So I think this cool down thing is decided as per customer relationship with Bank. 

I applied through their website and upon submitting my application was rejected with an email
Unfortunately, I didn’t receive any communication from them onwards.

Did you also receive the same email.

Mine was something like below
We thank you for your interest in ICICI Bank Credit Card.

We have checked your application on the following criteria, which does not necessarily imply your adverse creditworthiness.

Based on the information provided by you and our consideration of the same as per the below mentioned criteria, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you the credit Card.

1.Eligibility criteria of ICICI Bank

2.Past borrowings of the applicant

3.Prior experience of the applicant in respect of the proposed purposes

4.Regulatory and statutory provisions governing ICICI Bank

We once again thank you for the interest in ICICI Bank Card.

Sincerely,
ICICI Bank Limited

This is a system generated e-mail and does not require a signature. Please do not reply to this

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
sahil678 wrote:

I applied through their website and upon submitting my application was rejected with an email
Unfortunately, I didn’t receive any communication from them onwards.

Did you also receive the same email.

Mine was something like below
We thank you for your interest in ICICI Bank Credit Card.

We have checked your application on the following criteria, which does not necessarily imply your adverse creditworthiness.

Based on the information provided by you and our consideration of the same as per the below mentioned criteria, we regret to inform you that we are unable to offer you the credit Card.

1.Eligibility criteria of ICICI Bank

2.Past borrowings of the applicant

3.Prior experience of the applicant in respect of the proposed purposes

4.Regulatory and statutory provisions governing ICICI Bank

We once again thank you for the interest in ICICI Bank Card.

Sincerely,
ICICI Bank Limited

This is a system generated e-mail and does not require a signature. Please do not reply to this

I didn’t receive any email but was showing the browser itself. 

Cool Cool
Link Copied

Is there a cooldown period in case the credit card application gets approved by SBI and Axis banks?

Finance Ninja Finance Ninja
Link Copied
Ransome wrote:

Is there a cooldown period in case the credit card application gets approved by SBI and Axis banks?

Not for Axis

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

I had applied for hdfc credit card since 3 years ago. Applied around 4 times after waiting every 6 month cooling period , but every time it’s got rejected.

My cibil is good around 780 , I have 2 icici , 2 Sbi , 1 BOB , 1 AXIS credit card, and more than 5 credit line services.

Still not understand what conflict with HDFC credit card dept. that every time I applied they rejected due to internal policy. 

Any suggestions?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
bipulsarkar92614 wrote:

I had applied for hdfc credit card since 3 years ago. Applied around 4 times after waiting every 6 month cooling period , but every time it’s got rejected.

My cibil is good around 780 , I have 2 icici , 2 Sbi , 1 BOB , 1 AXIS credit card, and more than 5 credit line services.

Still not understand what conflict with HDFC credit card dept. that every time I applied they rejected due to internal policy. 

Any suggestions?

Some banks do reject cc applications when total credit limit across all credit cards & credit lines is more than annual income. That may be case with you. 


If you still want hdfc cc, i would advise you to visit branch & apply there. There are high chances for approval although they may insist on opening saving account first. 

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

my current reject list

IdfC

Sc

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
samss wrote:

Some banks do reject cc applications when total credit limit across all credit cards & credit lines is more than annual income. That may be case with you. 


If you still want hdfc cc, i would advise you to visit branch & apply there. There are high chances for approval although they may insist on opening saving account first. 

The first card I applied was HDFC CC… All other cards applied later and approved. But still Hdfc cc not approved 😀🤣
And you are right when 1 st I went to Hdfc cc agent they assured me if I open Hdfc sb account I wiil definitely get Hdfc CC. But opening hdfc sb account still they rejected my card application (1 st applied 3 years ago).
HDFC be like “Kuch bhi karlo , Papa nahin manege”🤪🤣😝

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
bipulsarkar92614 wrote:

The first card I applied was HDFC CC… All other cards applied later and approved. But still Hdfc cc not approved 😀🤣
And you are right when 1 st I went to Hdfc cc agent they assured me if I open Hdfc sb account I wiil definitely get Hdfc CC. But opening hdfc sb account still they rejected my card application (1 st applied 3 years ago).
HDFC be like “Kuch bhi karlo , Papa nahin manege”🤪🤣😝

For which hdfc cc are you applying? 

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
samss wrote:

For which hdfc cc are you applying? 

Moneyback , Millennia , Moneyback + 

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
bipulsarkar92614 wrote:

Moneyback , Millennia , Moneyback + 

Moneyback is quite basic card. Apply through branch & you will probably be successful for this card. 

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

I have 9 cards and good cibil score but only indusind card application rejected for its internal policy, what exact internal policy is? After application reject how month shoul wait for fresh indusind card?

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
MJ1986 wrote:

I have 9 cards and good cibil score but only indusind card application rejected for its internal policy, what exact internal policy is? After application reject how month shoul wait for fresh indusind card?

Banks may reject credit hungry persons like those with mean credit age of less than 3 years (when most cards have been issued in last 3 years) or applied for other cards recently. Or simply when overall credit limit of all cc is more than annual salary. Can’t say about Indus specifically but wait in period is 6 months for most banks. 

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
TechnoFrendz wrote:

For ICICI, my application got rejected instantly after submitting it. 

So I left thinking to apply for after few months.

Later they called me I guess it was almost one month, On call they confirmed my platinum card is approved. New application was applied from their end as they already had info from my old application. They confirmed the details again. No documents were required from my end.

In two days got confirmation email and then card dispatch. Also I was able to see card in iMobile app just after email.

So I think this cool down thing is decided as per customer relationship with Bank. 

I applied like 6-7 times in 4 months and all application went missing after applying don't known what happened to all of those. Also my icici amazon pay credit card rejected twice. Even I hold icici account with 50+ balance from past 1 year.
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

tellin u from exp = "ye sub doglapan h " just keep F applyin again and again till they gave up i got many card by consisitenly applyin  

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
sudbht wrote:
I applied like 6-7 times in 4 months and all application went missing after applying don't known what happened to all of those. Also my icici amazon pay credit card rejected twice. Even I hold icici account with 50+ balance from past 1 year.
I think you should wait for atleast 3 months before you apply back.
Then 1st try to ICICI cc and if things go well then go for Amazon ICICI cc. 
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
TechnoFrendz wrote:
I think you should wait for atleast 3 months before you apply back.
Then 1st try to ICICI cc and if things go well then go for Amazon ICICI cc. 
Its been 7 months since I last applied for ICICI card.
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

Hdfc cc rejected 4 times , Already have 5 different bank cc... It's possible to apply Card to card for Hdfc cc... existing limit 3.2 lakh icici..

Entertainer Entertainer
Admin
Link Copied
bipulsarkar92614 wrote:

Hdfc cc rejected 4 times , Already have 5 different bank cc... It's possible to apply Card to card for Hdfc cc... existing limit 3.2 lakh icici..

Did u called CC and asked for the reason of rejection?
Finance Mentor Finance Mentor
Link Copied

AU Credit Card Doesn't seem to follow the 6 Month mentioned Cooloff period , a known person got the application rejected in March or April , randomly checked today and got Application approved for AU Credit Card.

The PostMighty The PostMighty
Link Copied
beastboy wrote:

AU Credit Card Doesn't seem to follow the 6 Month mentioned Cooloff period , a known person got the application rejected in March or April , randomly checked today and got Application approved for AU Credit Card.

How? Without Applying? When should we apply then?
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
Rosh_0007 wrote:
Did u called CC and asked for the reason of rejection?
They just mailed due to bank internal policy rejected my application. It's possible now to apply CARD TO CARD for HDFC?
replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply