Daikin AC foul smell issue

277°
Deal Newbie
DjWalaBabu

I purchased daikin 5 star inverter AC last year in July, in last season it worked really well.

But when i started using it in April this year, it is giving FOUL SMELL which is intolerable. The smell is particularly felt on the days when there is very less humidity in air(around 10% as seen from weather app) and works fine(without any smell) when the humidity level increases.

I raised multiple complaints but their technician is saying that this is normal smell of air. I also mailed DAIKIN service head but they are not replying. The local service center has started closing my complaints without making any visit.

MY AC STILL HAVE nearly 2.5 months of warranty left.

Please guide what shall i do. This foul smell is intolerable for me and creates headache.

Expiring In 14 days
48 Comments  |  
17 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

It may be due to fungus formation in AC filter.Let’s book a AC wet cleaning service from local service provider.Hardly it will cost around 500 INR.

I think it will work for you.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Time_Travel wrote:

It may be due to fungus formation in AC filter.Let’s book a AC wet cleaning service from local service provider.Hardly it will cost around 500 INR.

I think it will work for you.

I got the wet service done as well. They washed the indoor unit using water jet after covering it with water jacket. The problem was solved for 4-5 days but then reappeared. 
Moreover it rained at my place 4-5 days ago and now the humidity level shown is 25%, there is no smell currently. But i am sure it will reappear once the humidity level will drop to 10% as previously experienced.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

So its look like operational issue.

Pro Entertainer Pro Entertainer
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

I got the wet service done as well. They washed the indoor unit using water jet after covering it with water jacket. The problem was solved for 4-5 days but then reappeared. 
Moreover it rained at my place 4-5 days ago and now the humidity level shown is 25%, there is no smell currently. But i am sure it will reappear once the humidity level will drop to 10% as previously experienced.

i don’t know that it will be a fair idea but can you put odonil or some perfume (car perfume etc) hanging next to air vent to do away with foul smell. Hope this helps… smile 

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
vijkap201 wrote:

i don’t know that it will be a fair idea but can you put odonil or some perfume (car perfume etc) hanging next to air vent to do away with foul smell. Hope this helps… smile 

I tried with this as well. sprayed deodorant once but it didnt work.
 
Moreover AC is under warranty period so looking for something which DAIKIN will do. Rest odonil and perfume thing i obviously have to do once warranty period gets over. Coz i had spent 45K on this product 😢

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Time_Travel wrote:

So its look like operational issue.

But their technicians and Engineer are not accepting it. Someone termed this as “smell of air” and other told it is “Difference”. The thing which is true is that it is unbearable.

What can i do now? i am sure they cant correct the issue(from what i am witnessing from past 1 month) only solution according to me is if they can change the AC unit.
Dont know how to make them do it. Their customer service head is not responding to email as well.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

But their technicians and Engineer are not accepting it. Someone termed this as “smell of air” and other told it is “Difference”. The thing which is true is that it is unbearable.

What can i do now? i am sure they cant correct the issue(from what i am witnessing from past 1 month) only solution according to me is if they can change the AC unit.
Dont know how to make them do it. Their customer service head is not responding to email as well.

try raising complaint on https://consumerhelpline.g...n/

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
chai_lover wrote:

try raising complaint on https://consumerhelpline.g...n/

Do you have any experience how it works? How will they adjudicate the matter as the foul smell only appears when the humidity level drops and works fine when the humidity is high.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

switch on the ac for half an hour with full ac fan speed and room fan speed. Open window and exhaust if any, basically ventilate the room as much as possible. Let me know the outcome afterwards. 

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
jambui wrote:

switch on the ac for half an hour with full ac fan speed and room fan speed. Open window and exhaust if any, basically ventilate the room as much as possible. Let me know the outcome afterwards. 

Have tried this for 45 minutes with AC on full speed with temperature from remote at minimum level i.e. 18 and the doors and window open. Worked well 3-4 hours afterwards but the foul smell reappeared after that.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

Have tried this for 45 minutes with AC on full speed with temperature from remote at minimum level i.e. 18 and the doors and window open. Worked well 3-4 hours afterwards but the foul smell reappeared after that.

Claim warranty,if they deny service then file complaint in National Consumer Helpline.

Elite Elite
Link Copied

Is the smell of rotten animal? If so, it could be some dead animal in the duct.

Does the smell start of like smell of first rain in dry soil (a.k.a. Petrichor) and then immediately start getting fouler? If so it is gathered dust which gets wet and catches fungus over time. Happens a lot in car ACs. It needs thorough cleaning with fungicide. Technicians either try to avoid the labor or don’t know how to clean it or don’t have the nose to smell and bluff away as “this is normal smell Saar..this much smell is normal Saar….all ACs get this much smell after a year Saar….and the best one….there is no smell Saar

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
ontherocks wrote:

Is the smell of rotten animal? If so, it could be some dead animal in the duct.

Does the smell start of like smell of first rain in dry soil (a.k.a. Petrichor) and then immediately start getting fouler? If so it is gathered dust which gets wet and catches fungus over time. Happens a lot in car ACs. It needs thorough cleaning with fungicide. Technicians either try to avoid the labor or don’t know how to clean it or don’t have the nose to smell and bluff away as “this is normal smell Saar..this much smell is normal Saar….all ACs get this much smell after a year Saar….and the best one….there is no smell Saar

It smells like socks or cow-dung. The smell comes when i start the AC and sometimes stay but mostly goes(not completely) when i keep the door open and run fan on full speed  and then reappear after nearly 2 hours of AC operation.
It is more pungent and frequent during dry day and no smell on humid day.
You are absolutely right most of the technician said there is no smell, one said it is smell of air saar…….other said dont call it smell, it is ‘difference’.
Dont know what to do……have mailed to MD DAIKIN today and planning to file complaint with Consumer-forum after 3-4 days.

Rajasthan Royals Rajasthan Royals
Link Copied

That’s why i trust usual brands which have many service center in a city. If it was a voltas , you could have tried different service center.
Your ac needs deep cleaning of outdoor plus indoor unit.

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

Any solution so far? Or have u find the real cause?

Pro Entertainer Pro Entertainer
Link Copied
kartikxxx wrote:

Any solution so far? Or have u find the real cause?

mujhe lagta hai ki usske ghar ke peeche koi ganda nala ya tabela hoga jehan se durgandh aati hai… sad toungueout

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

is water coming out or not ?

i also faced this issue this year when i started my ac 

this smell comes only when i start ac for first few minutes like 5 mins and then no smell , first i thought it is gas leakage smell then i  searched youtube and found if it is gas leakage then ac would have stopped cooling within 2-3 days bcoz gas will be finished rapidly . but this is not the case  so i think this is some sort of dirt stuck which is causing this foul smell . 

Elite Elite
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

It smells like socks or cow-dung. The smell comes when i start the AC and sometimes stay but mostly goes(not completely) when i keep the door open and run fan on full speed  and then reappear after nearly 2 hours of AC operation.
It is more pungent and frequent during dry day and no smell on humid day.
You are absolutely right most of the technician said there is no smell, one said it is smell of air saar…….other said dont call it smell, it is ‘difference’.
Dont know what to do……have mailed to MD DAIKIN today and planning to file complaint with Consumer-forum after 3-4 days.

Smell of socks == it is definitely fungus/mould. Smell will be prominent when the AC is running with all door and windows closed. Washing with water wont help. It will work fine for max a week and the smell will come back again. Technicians know of only one solution, cleaning (either blowing, brushing, or washing with water). Beyond that it is out of their syllabus. You need to apply fungicide to the indoor unit. Then wash it clean.

It might be a lost case fighting with Daikin. MD will say, records show that they have cleaned the unit (which is the solution according to them) and there is no smell and all technicians will vouch for it. They will say, till date there have been no such issue, you are the first person complaining about such a thing. At the most MD will send another team of “specialist” technicians as a favor since you insist so much who will clean it again and then say “we have cleaned it in front of you Saar, is there any smell now Saar?”, to which you will say No. Case closed. They will make you feel like the problem lies with you or you have some kind of OCD. At the end you will be standing alone frustrated and feeling like an idiot.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
Time_Travel wrote:

Claim warranty,if they deny service then file complaint in National Consumer Helpline.

Have mailed MD and will file complaint with consumer forum in a day or two.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
kartikxxx wrote:

Any solution so far? Or have u find the real cause?

Solution is only rise in humidity. From past 3-4 days humidity level has increased therefore working fine now. But when the humidity level will drop, the foul smell is going to reappear for sure.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
hackerboys wrote:

is water coming out or not ?

i also faced this issue this year when i started my ac 

this smell comes only when i start ac for first few minutes like 5 mins and then no smell , first i thought it is gas leakage smell then i  searched youtube and found if it is gas leakage then ac would have stopped cooling within 2-3 days bcoz gas will be finished rapidly . but this is not the case  so i think this is some sort of dirt stuck which is causing this foul smell . 

Actually the problem is only when water is not coming out of the duct i.e. the day when there is less humidity in air. When the humidity increased, water is now flowing through drain pipe.

I can bear 5-10 minutes but sometimes even after 5-10 minutes the foul smell is not going away. Even if it go to some extent, it reappears and thereafter AC doesnt even provide any cooling no matter what temperature i set.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
ontherocks wrote:

Smell of socks == it is definitely fungus/mould. Smell will be prominent when the AC is running with all door and windows closed. Washing with water wont help. It will work fine for max a week and the smell will come back again. Technicians know of only one solution, cleaning (either blowing, brushing, or washing with water). Beyond that it is out of their syllabus. You need to apply fungicide to the indoor unit. Then wash it clean.

It might be a lost case fighting with Daikin. MD will say, records show that they have cleaned the unit (which is the solution according to them) and there is no smell and all technicians will vouch for it. They will say, till date there have been no such issue, you are the first person complaining about such a thing. At the most MD will send another team of “specialist” technicians as a favor since you insist so much who will clean it again and then say “we have cleaned it in front of you Saar, is there any smell now Saar?”, to which you will say No. Case closed. They will make you feel like the problem lies with you or you have some kind of OCD. At the end you will be standing alone frustrated and feeling like an idiot.

Yes same thing happened. After wet cleaning it worked fine for 3-4 days and again smell started.

Can you please tell the way to apply fungicide or whether i have call some technician and ask him to apply fungicide. Won’t fungicide corrode the fins?

Moreover it rained 4-5 days back and after that there is rise in humidity and water is also coming out from drain pipe, there is no smell issue currently(but surely will reappear once the humidity level go back to 10%)

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

I tried with this as well. sprayed deodorant once but it didnt work.
 
Moreover AC is under warranty period so looking for something which DAIKIN will do. Rest odonil and perfume thing i obviously have to do once warranty period gets over. Coz i had spent 45K on this product 😢

Daikin have zero interest in anything except revenues in India.

Everything is left to the dealers, including the so called service visits by (often untrained or fresher) young boys.

 

At most you can talk to the actual salea people or technical service head in your region.

(like get the number from some dealer, that your relative or friend have a factory/ unit where they need a 80-100 tonne cooling plant and so you need the numbers of Area or Division head or the direct employee’s number who is incharge of over seeing post purchase service).

 

What proof you have of who did the installation?

Any copy of job sheet?

Any proof or idea about thhe ducting and brand of piping used (for the coolant teansfer between the outdoor unit and the blower)?

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
texmaco121 wrote:

Daikin have zero interest in anything except revenues in India.

Everything is left to the dealers, including the so called service visits by (often untrained or fresher) young boys.

 

At most you can talk to the actual salea people or technical service head in your region.

(like get the number from some dealer, that your relative or friend have a factory/ unit where they need a 80-100 tonne cooling plant and so you need the numbers of Area or Division head or the direct employee’s number who is incharge of over seeing post purchase service).

 

What proof you have of who did the installation?

Any copy of job sheet?

Any proof or idea about thhe ducting and brand of piping used (for the coolant teansfer between the outdoor unit and the blower)?

Absolutely true….the service center is now closing my request by their own without making any visit and without taking OTP from me.

No proof of installation, it was done by the technician sent by the dealer from whom i purchased AC and paid installation cost as well.
The pipe used was the one inside the box of outdoor unit and no extra pipe was used. I didnt see the brand of pipe assuming it to be DAIKIN pipe itself.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

I think the problem is that fungus/mold has accumulated in the drain
pan. I doubt the service technicians removed and cleaned the drain pan.
I had this same problem (foul smell) last year on my LG split AC. I
disassembled the outer body myself and sprayed the coil with a
mixture of dettol and dish soap, let it sit for a few minutes and then
rinsed it off with a pressure washer. I then removed the drain pan and
cleaned it thoroughly. Some black fungus-like substance had accumulated
in the drain pan which may have caused the smell. The smell went away after cleaning.

Don’t
expect the technicians to do a proper job. A few months after
installation of my AC, I came to know that you’re supposed to use a
vacuum pump to remove the air from the pipes/lineset, which the
technicians did not do. Reported it to LG and nothing came out of it.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

No proof of installation, it was done by the technician sent by the dealer from whom i purchased AC

oh God😔.

I thought you might have bought online and thus create some ruckus somewhere.

 

Though our Daikins (atleast the inverter ones) absolutely failed in the 2016 heat wave..

we did not have other such issues.

 

And yes, we too were left at the mercy of the offline dealer. (The rascal sweet talked my folks; that uncle if you are not going to show it as an expense in your books, then pay in cash. Thus the 🐗🐷 did not even provide a real invoice. Her husband oversaw the industrial customers and wifey looked into retail).

 

When there is no service center, there is no OTP needed.

The dealer IS THE service center, in the eyes of Daikin.

 

Did you get to speak witn the dealer or show up that their prenises with a camera.. to record their responses …jn how they are dealing witj the complaints.

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
Expand
texmaco121 wrote:

oh God😔.

I thought you might have bought online and thus create some ruckus somewhere.

 

Though our Daikins (atleast the inverter ones) absolutely failed in the 2016 heat wave..

we did not have other such issues.

 

And yes, we too were left at the mercy of the offline dealer. (The rascal sweet talked my folks; that uncle if you are not going to show it as an expense in your books, then pay in cash. Thus the 🐗🐷 did not even provide a real invoice. Her husband oversaw the industrial customers and wifey looked into retail).

 

When there is no service center, there is no OTP needed.

The dealer IS THE service center, in the eyes of Daikin.

 

Did you get to speak witn the dealer or show up that their prenises with a camera.. to record their responses …jn how they are dealing witj the complaints.

Initially they made 3-4 visits, but after that the owner of service center had made visit and daily he is saying ’we have sent the report to DAIKIN and you will get response by tommorow" This is what he is telling from past 12 days.

Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied
Expand
DjWalaBabu wrote:

Solution is only rise in humidity. From past 3-4 days humidity level has increased therefore working fine now. But when the humidity level will drop, the foul smell is going to reappear for sure.

Have u done cleaning and check if any mice died there?

Entertainer Entertainer
Link Copied

Could be a case of harakiri by a male Lizard spurned in love inside your AC? 

replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply