Hot Deal

Delhi man took over 200 flights to steal jewellery and cash

315°
Pro Tech Guru
Original

Delhi man took over 200 flights to steal jewellery and cash worth crores from co-passengers; arrested

The man booked flights under his dead brother's name to steal from passengers and then passed the valuables to a jeweller in Delhi, said the IGI police.

The police team at the Indira Gandhi International (IGI) Airport in Delhi on Monday arrested a jewel thief, who had been involved in a spree of thefts since 2005 initially operated on trains before targeting fliers.

According to the police, the modus operandi of Rajesh Kapoor, 40, involved targeting elderly women passengers carrying handbags, mostly during the boarding process. By assuming the identity of his deceased brother, Rishi Kapoor, he managed to travel unnoticed, frequently changing seats to remain close to his unsuspecting victims, said police sources.

The arrest came after a series of thefts were reported on Air India flights, including incidents involving two passengers flying to the US whose jewellery worth Rs 7 lakh and Rs 20 lakh, respectively, were stolen during their journeys. While Sudharani Pathuri’s jewellery was stolen on her flight from Hyderabad to Delhi, Varinderjeet Singh’s valuables were stolen on his transit flight from Amritsar to the Capital.

The investigation involved a thorough analysis of CCTV footage from Hyderabad, Delhi and Amritsar airports. Kapoor’s presence on both flights raised the police’s suspicions. When the authorities tracked down his number from the airlines, they discovered it was a fake number, registered under someone else’s name. After the police mounted a technical analysis to find his original phone number, his call record details (CDRs) revealed he lived in Paharganj and switched on his device for a limited period every day.

Kapoor’s photograph was then circulated and a team conducted searches in the area, leading the police to his doorstep at Ricky Deluxe Guest House, which he owns. He was subsequently arrested and his confession led to the recovery of a significant amount of stolen property, including gold and silver jewellery, along with other valuables, said the police.

https://indianexpress.com/article/cities/delhi/...

Top Comments
Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

That's what happens if you watch catch me if you can too many times

I wonder how one can pass off as his dead brother, So much for airport security stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes
That's why deaths need to be registered properly

8 Comments  |  
8 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Captain Deal Captain
Link Copied

That's what happens if you watch catch me if you can too many times

I wonder how one can pass off as his dead brother, So much for airport security stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes
That's why deaths need to be registered properly

Helpful Helpful
Link Copied
right, but we need to bribe to obtain death certificate..
View 4 more replies
Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied

For someone who has never had stuff stolen from them in crowded transport also (and never been a victim of pickpocketing), my empathy (or even sympathy) with the victims is limited.

Yes I too had some (fruit) apples and something else stolen or taken from an open bag, but that was not in a crowded place and it was my mistake to focus too much on the food (at a mess type eatery).

But this is not surprising. Except of-course for the fact that his 'career' started at a rather early age.

And of-course about the complexity of operating within confined spaces.
In buses and trains one can still pass on the stolen stuff to someone who can deboard.
But at the boarding gate or within an aircraft, what possible escape route could one have had? Assuming that he did not always have any accomplice nearby.

I think only 'some' senior citizens might be careless though. At-least the ones in our families are such.. that getting the president or prime minister's personal phone number might be easier than getting to the funds or stuff that our senior citizen relatives carry!

I myself would avoid leaving even a duffle bag with just 3-4 pairs of clothes behind, in trains, if travelling alone and have to get up from my seat (toilet or purchase something on a platform).
On flights I usually do not eat or drink at all, usually always within sight of the overhead bins where my stuff is.
Tech Guru Tech Guru
Link Copied
pensive That just proves flights have just become flying buses. .....Why do I hear mostly Air India's name whenever I hear anything negative news on or about flights.
replyuser
Click here to reply