Hot Deal

everything wrong with our education system

350°
  • 1731
  • 35
  • Last Comment
  • Reasons

    Vote down Reasons

    • Invalid/User Specific Coupon/Deal : 1
Deal Lieutenant
kukdookoo


100 salutes to this guy but the panelist is correct

Expired
Top Comments
Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
BlueFlash wrote:

Unpopular opinion: The best way to serve the nation is to become a politician (a good one). There's nothing that a truely dedicated MLA/MP can't do that an IAS can even dream of... However, the sad reality is that such a person simply doesn't exist...

To survive and reach the top in politics one needs to be a scoundrel of the lowest rung. The worst rogue and the utterly selfish of all would top it. That's why such politicians as you have wished for do not exist.
Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
Clearing upsc exam in India is an achievement only at personal level unless someone becomes the next T. N. Seshan (the man who single handedly reformed the Indian election system). This guy or Tina Dabi or the ....UPSC topper from early 1990s nobody will even remember them a few years later/once they retire. I have no issues with IIT/IIM toppers like this guy clearing UPSC exam but they shouldn't expect others to believe their "reasoning" for clearing this exam(aka to serve the nation/society).
@kukdookoo

Unpopular opinion: The best way to serve the nation is to become a politician (a good one). There's nothing that a truely dedicated MLA/MP can't do that an IAS can even dream of... However, the sad reality is that such a person simply doesn't exist...

Critic Critic
Link Copied
decideaim wrote:
He has achieved something great that  many of us couldn't. But i agree with the panelist, talent wasted obviously.  

There is this inherent defect in public service. If you joined as a specialist you'd have no role in management, and if you joined as a bureacrat you won't have much scope to think and act like a subject expert. There is an abyss amidst.
Clearing upsc exam in India is an achievement only at personal level unless someone becomes the next T. N. Seshan (the man who single handedly reformed the Indian election system). This guy or Tina Dabi or the ....UPSC topper from early 1990s nobody will even remember them a few years later/once they retire. I have no issues with IIT/IIM toppers like this guy clearing UPSC exam but they shouldn't expect others to believe their "reasoning" for clearing this exam(aka to serve the nation/society).
@kukdookoo
34 Comments  |  
13 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
He has achieved something great that  many of us didn't. But i agree with the panelist, talent wasted obviously.  

There is this inherent defect in public service. If you joined as a specialist you'd have no role in management, and if you joined as a bureacrat you won't have much scope to think and act like a subject expert. There is an abyss amidst.
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

That's why they "invented" start-up concept and now easy angel funding and platform to showcase ideas available... I seriously missed adequate recognition, support and funding during my graduation years, had no such concept of startups then, but was badly needed - had to be contented with whatever I could do myself.

Critic Critic
Link Copied
decideaim wrote:
He has achieved something great that  many of us couldn't. But i agree with the panelist, talent wasted obviously.  

There is this inherent defect in public service. If you joined as a specialist you'd have no role in management, and if you joined as a bureacrat you won't have much scope to think and act like a subject expert. There is an abyss amidst.
Clearing upsc exam in India is an achievement only at personal level unless someone becomes the next T. N. Seshan (the man who single handedly reformed the Indian election system). This guy or Tina Dabi or the ....UPSC topper from early 1990s nobody will even remember them a few years later/once they retire. I have no issues with IIT/IIM toppers like this guy clearing UPSC exam but they shouldn't expect others to believe their "reasoning" for clearing this exam(aka to serve the nation/society).
@kukdookoo
Critic Critic
Link Copied

@decideaim

P.S. I don't know if you know this but UPSC civil services exam now has a 250 marks "Ethics & Integrity" paper which supposedly tests how honest a candidate is & ask questions like "if you are a DM of a hilly district & flash flood happen & there are women children stranded in one place while sick ppl stranded in a hospital while undertrials are stranded in a jail & your state's chief secretary family stranded in another place & you have 1 helicopter then in which order you will evacuate" & the topper of this paper in 2016 was caught cheating in mains exam in 2017 as he was not satisfied with his IPS service & want to get IAS(I am not joking).

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/chenna...

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
Clearing upsc exam in India is an achievement only at personal level unless someone becomes the next T. N. Seshan (the man who single handedly reformed the Indian election system). This guy or Tina Dabi or the ....UPSC topper from early 1990s nobody will even remember them a few years later/once they retire. I have no issues with IIT/IIM toppers like this guy clearing UPSC exam but they shouldn't expect others to believe their "reasoning" for clearing this exam(aka to serve the nation/society).
@kukdookoo
T.N. seshan was a legend but politicians had a minimum of decorum back then, unlike crooked politicians of the day, who would have made life hell of anyone who followed ethics and integrity.
Analyst Analyst
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
Clearing upsc exam in India is an achievement only at personal level unless someone becomes the next T. N. Seshan (the man who single handedly reformed the Indian election system). This guy or Tina Dabi or the ....UPSC topper from early 1990s nobody will even remember them a few years later/once they retire. I have no issues with IIT/IIM toppers like this guy clearing UPSC exam but they shouldn't expect others to believe their "reasoning" for clearing this exam(aka to serve the nation/society).
@kukdookoo

Unpopular opinion: The best way to serve the nation is to become a politician (a good one). There's nothing that a truely dedicated MLA/MP can't do that an IAS can even dream of... However, the sad reality is that such a person simply doesn't exist...

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied
Expand
BlueFlash wrote:

Unpopular opinion: The best way to serve the nation is to become a politician (a good one). There's nothing that a truely dedicated MLA/MP can't do that an IAS can even dream of... However, the sad reality is that such a person simply doesn't exist...

To survive and reach the top in politics one needs to be a scoundrel of the lowest rung. The worst rogue and the utterly selfish of all would top it. That's why such politicians as you have wished for do not exist.
Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied

So, it seems the panelist is unhappy because the candidate picked PS & IE over EE as optional for mains* (Not that he decided to give up his designated career to become an IAS?). Since this guy is gold medalist, it wouldn't have been a tough task for him to crack UPSC even if he opted for it (Many mediocre students skip it because its tougher than others?) 

(02:11) Bad guidance from Friends and Seniors? Probably its a generic suggestion to opt for PS & IE and this one fell for it

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

He was Unemployed by choice, not Unemployed. Both are different things and so-called panelists failed to distinguish between them. Engineering in India is mostly either to grab placement or getting a 4-year duration time to find your passion. The guy was a prodigy or more hard-working than their classmates, which earned him a gold medal. He has the right to choose his career without any judgment from society.

The interviewer himself seems confused a bit. He earned three degrees in the Hindi language and now rather than contributing to Hindi literature he is more focused on conducting interviews par from his Educational Qualifications for private tuition classes.

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
TempAcc wrote:

He was Unemployed by choice, not Unemployed. Both are different things and so-called panelists failed to distinguish between them. Engineering in India is mostly either to grab placement or getting a 4-year duration time to find your passion. The guy was a prodigy or more hard-working than their classmates, which earned him a gold medal. He has the right to choose his career without any judgment from society.

The interviewer himself seems confused a bit. He earned three degrees in the Hindi language and now rather than contributing to Hindi literature he is more focused on conducting interviews par from his Educational Qualifications for private tuition classes.

About anchor/interviewer, hypocrites do exist and sometimes situation, job or society/family compulsion portrays you like that, nowhere to move and prove yourself different...

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Every one has their own dreams  , maybe his was to be a civil servant 

Most imp uska life hai , let him do what he wants 

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:

Every one has their own dreams  , maybe his was to be a civil servant 

Most imp uska life hai , let him do what he wants 

But not a terrorist, there lies the problem (whatever one wants to do).. Just a happy good life is needed.

Critic Critic
Link Copied
getready wrote:

So, it seems the panelist is unhappy because the candidate picked PS & IE over EE as optional for mains* (Not that he decided to give up his designated career to become an IAS?). Since this guy is gold medalist, it wouldn't have been a tough task for him to crack UPSC even if he opted for it (Many mediocre students skip it because its tougher than others?) 

(02:11) Bad guidance from Friends and Seniors? Probably its a generic suggestion to opt for PS & IE and this one fell for it

I am hoping to keep this strictly on the topic so expect the same from you. I have some experience in this "UPSC field" & knew "toppers in civil/mech/elec from IITs" not choosing these subjects as their mains because of "relatively inherent much increased difficulty" because of upsc scaling in mains for tech stream subjects. It is not generic but rather very well established advice by now for engg students to opt for PS because it complements their GS prep & because the previous best option(aka Pub Ad) has fallen into obscurity after running down its course of decade long success.

Also he clearly learned his lesson from this mock interview & prepared an apparently very good "inspiring reason" to justify his "need" to clear UPSC exam despite his academic record as he scored highest in interview round along with another candidate.
https://indianmasterminds.com/features/upsc-sto...
Critic Critic
Link Copied
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:

Every one has their own dreams  , maybe his was to be a civil servant 

Most imp uska life hai , let him do what he wants 

And that's perfectly fine. One just should not "project themselves" as some sort of "selfless saint" or "heaven's chosen ones" because of UPSC success.
Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
BlueFlash wrote:

Unpopular opinion: The best way to serve the nation is to become a politician (a good one). There's nothing that a truely dedicated MLA/MP can't do that an IAS can even dream of... However, the sad reality is that such a person simply doesn't exist...

Here is another way to put this, the best thing possible/highest peak to climb in life is also the most difficult to achieve. An honest man with no significant background becoming an MLA/MP/CM/PM is thousands to millions of times more difficult than topping any exam ever conducted in this country.
Mobile Guru Mobile Guru
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
I am hoping to keep this strictly on the topic so expect the same from you.

In that case, this is what the video/topic is about (which is ignored/misunderstood by many causing an unrelated discussion here). The rest is already mentioned in the above post.. (except that it took him 5 years)

So, it seems the panelist is unhappy because the candidate picked PS & IE over EE as optional for mains* (Not that he decided to give up his designated career to become an IAS?). Since this guy is gold medalist, it wouldn't have been a tough task for him to crack UPSC even if he opted for it (Many mediocre students skip it because its tougher than others?)

PS: Stick to the topic & avoid the discussions/debates that can neither be proved right / wrong.. You are free to share your views/expectations though based on your experience

Deal Newbie Deal Newbie
Link Copied
kukdookoo wrote:


100 salutes to this guy but the panelist is correct

Panelisrs (not just about UPSC per se) also take stress test or want to check how one responds under pressure.

 

If EVERYthing is messed up with our education system, then only the zest or drive of the desi https://wikipedia.org/wiki/desi people making them excel in places like North America is indeed an achievement.

 

However some aspects of the desi systems (even the seemingly flawed https://dawn.com/news/1641105 single National Curriculum) and many (if not most) of the Indian systems DO have some or the otber merits, I think.

'Merits' (which are) good enough to make the students turn into future able professionals.

 

Of-course it has its flaws. Of-course it could improve too.

But if one goes through the whole mock interview, one can see that the kid did somewhat redeem himself.

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
And that's perfectly fine. One just should not "project themselves" as some sort of "selfless saint" or "heaven's chosen ones" because of UPSC success.

He is saying exactly what the panel wants to hear .Most candidates say the same Bs .


aka to serve the nation/society


If they say the truth they would be jobless

UPSC is not easy , chance of success is minuscule 

Still they ask all this stupid questions like what were you doing all these years 

Abe upsc par ke attempt de raha tha or kya ? The syllabus is so vast along with cut throat competition .To top that vacancy is getting lowered with each passing year 

Govt has given us 6 attempts and 32 years of age to qualify for a reason 

Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:

He is saying exactly what the panel wants to hear .Most candidates say the same Bs .


aka to serve the nation/society


If they say the truth they would be jobless

UPSC is not easy , chance of success is minuscule 

Still they ask all this stupid questions like what were you doing all these years 

Abe upsc par ke attempt de raha tha or kya ? The syllabus is so vast along with cut throat competition .To top that vacancy is getting lowered with each passing year 

Govt has given us 6 attempts and 32 years of age to qualify for a reason 

That is why this exam does nothing to actually promote growth in Indian bureaucracy like what happened in case of Indian economy. Govt knows that IAS are nothing but tools to be used as per their orders hence gave 6 years/32 years age limit because older/more wasted you are in clearing this exam more "practical" you will be & stick to the typical eyes & ears closed while signing only on files that are going to be approved by the minister of your department anyway.
Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
Expand
BlueFlash wrote:

Unpopular opinion: The best way to serve the nation is to become a politician (a good one). There's nothing that a truely dedicated MLA/MP can't do that an IAS can even dream of... However, the sad reality is that such a person simply doesn't exist...

If they exist then they get either replaced or killed. 🙏

Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
Expand
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:

He is saying exactly what the panel wants to hear .Most candidates say the same Bs .


aka to serve the nation/society


If they say the truth they would be jobless

UPSC is not easy , chance of success is minuscule 

Still they ask all this stupid questions like what were you doing all these years 

Abe upsc par ke attempt de raha tha or kya ? The syllabus is so vast along with cut throat competition .To top that vacancy is getting lowered with each passing year 

Govt has given us 6 attempts and 32 years of age to qualify for a reason 

Har saal kitne IAS bante hain. Interview me kitna tagda jawab dete hain. Lekin, lekin corruption jaise tha waise hi hai. Yahi Satya hai.

Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
Expand
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:

He is saying exactly what the panel wants to hear .Most candidates say the same Bs .


aka to serve the nation/society


If they say the truth they would be jobless

UPSC is not easy , chance of success is minuscule 

Still they ask all this stupid questions like what were you doing all these years 

Abe upsc par ke attempt de raha tha or kya ? The syllabus is so vast along with cut throat competition .To top that vacancy is getting lowered with each passing year 

Govt has given us 6 attempts and 32 years of age to qualify for a reason 

Bhai fun fact. Ek dost hai IRS me. Interview me pucha gaya ki bhai ye aakhri attempt hai aur iske piche kyun lage ho. Woh bhai sach bol diya ki usse IAS isiliye Banna hai kyun ki usse power pasand hai, ek comfortable lifestyle jo desh ke liye kuch karne ke badle mile. Usse laga ki wo reject ho gaya. IAS ban nai paya but IRS mil gaya. 🐒🐒🐒 Thug life. 

Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
Expand
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:

He is saying exactly what the panel wants to hear .Most candidates say the same Bs .


aka to serve the nation/society


If they say the truth they would be jobless

UPSC is not easy , chance of success is minuscule 

Still they ask all this stupid questions like what were you doing all these years 

Abe upsc par ke attempt de raha tha or kya ? The syllabus is so vast along with cut throat competition .To top that vacancy is getting lowered with each passing year 

Govt has given us 6 attempts and 32 years of age to qualify for a reason 

Aur bhai IAS etc banna mushkil hai but lifestyle bahut hectic bhi. Perks ke saath jo jimmedari milta hai woh bahut jyada hectic hai. By 50 most become diabetic, lethargic n stressed. Bass family hi enjoy karti hai full perks. 

Hunk Hunk
Link Copied
decideaim wrote:
He has achieved something great that  many of us didn't. But i agree with the panelist, talent wasted obviously.  

There is this inherent defect in public service. If you joined as a specialist you'd have no role in management, and if you joined as a bureacrat you won't have much scope to think and act like a subject expert. There is an abyss amidst.

Yes, he could have appeared for IES. Right? That's the way people should think. Sabse concerning chiz hai ki doctors, dentists, engineers UPSC clear kar rahe hain. Bhai 40-50 lakh pay karke dactry kiya fir upsc me ghusa. Sense nai Banta hai naa. Resources kaa satyanash. Had they taken a normal BA, BSc course then it would have served them better. Most of them take public administration n sociology type subjects. In Arts stream they could get more benefits. Yahi dikkat hai India me.

Had this person not opted to study in IIT, some more deserving candidate could have taken that benefit. 

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
That is why this exam does nothing to actually promote growth in Indian bureaucracy like what happened in case of Indian economy. Govt knows that IAS are nothing but tools to be used as per their orders hence gave 6 years/32 years age limit because older/more wasted you are in clearing this exam more "practical" you will be & stick to the typical eyes & ears closed while signing only on files that are going to be approved by the minister of your department anyway.
Like every other exam this one is also  a mere screening process 

The very same exam was used by the Britishers to recruit , would they allow Indians to make decisions ? 

IAS are tools thats what the law states them to be , they are here to enforce policies not revolt against the govt with certain exemptions 

Since our country runs on elected govt IAS at the end of the day has to listen to the ministers
 
Critic Critic
Link Copied
Expand
EkdamSastaRaju wrote:
Like every other exam this one is also  a mere screening process 

The very same exam was used by the Britishers to recruit , would they allow Indians to make decisions ? 

IAS are tools thats what the law states them to be , they are here to enforce policies not revolt against the govt with certain exemptions 

Since our country runs on elected govt IAS at the end of the day has to listen to the ministers
 
The problem is not that IAS are tools but rather their refusal to be used incorrectly. An IAS officer is free to not sign or write a dissenting note on a policy/decision taken by a minister at the cost of getting "punishment desk job" in some corner office of state capital secretariat where he will still get a good salary with all the perks except for the "power" & even this is more than enough to deter a majority of IAS officers to never question any decision of govt.
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
The problem is not that IAS are tools but rather their refusal to be used incorrectly. An IAS officer is free to not sign or write a dissenting note on a policy/decision taken by a minister at the cost of getting "punishment desk job" in some corner office of state capital secretariat where he will still get a good salary with all the perks except for the "power" & even this is more than enough to deter a majority of IAS officers to never question any decision of govt.

I disagree here, both are wrong and we also in same boat. 

Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied
Expand
guest_999 wrote:
The problem is not that IAS are tools but rather their refusal to be used incorrectly. An IAS officer is free to not sign or write a dissenting note on a policy/decision taken by a minister at the cost of getting "punishment desk job" in some corner office of state capital secretariat where he will still get a good salary with all the perks except for the "power" & even this is more than enough to deter a majority of IAS officers to never question any decision of govt.
Repercussions are much more than “punishment desk job”.
replyuser
Click here to reply
Reply