Feedback on this Acer Predator Helios 300 laptop please

99°
Benevolent
raghupro

Guys, I am quite out of touch with Windows laptops since 2009 so requesting feedback from fellow dimers.

Getting a deal on Acer Predator Helios 300 with following config

Intel i7-10750H

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB
15.6" Full HD 144Hz 3ms IPS Display
16GB Dual-Channel DDR4
512GB NVMe SSD

This is being sold for $1180 in the US which is around 94k including taxes. Can someone please share their feedback on it? Is it a good machine?

I intend to use it for some academic purpose that demands quite a powerful setup

Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08842D7JS/ref=cm_sw_...

15 Comments  |  
6 Dimers
  • Sort By
Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Impressive specs for the price
I’m using 2 year model. It’s bulky. Maybe you can find slim model

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Thank you.

I don’t mind the bulk as I won’t be carrying it around much. Sadly, unable to see laptops with good GPU and without the bulk sad

Deal Subedar Deal Subedar
Link Copied

Are you looking to get this from US?

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Yes. One of my aunts is travelling soon so my brother said he can send it along with her.

View 2 more replies
Deal Cadet Deal Cadet
Link Copied

following….

I checked the price on Flipkart and I think after discounts the price will be around 1.2L. is it worth at that price?

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

I see that the BBD sale price is 1.35 lakhs and this one has 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD as opposed to the one I am looking at from US which as 512GB SSD.

Also SSD on the Flipkart model is Hynix version SATA3 drive instead of Intel 600p NVMe SSD in US model

https://www.flipkart.com/acer-predator-helios-3...

Critic Critic
Link Copied

Acer Predator Helios 2020 models are said to have quite good thermal performance.

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Thank you. I have no experience with gaming laptops whatsoever. Will they age well?

View 1 more reply
Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Update:

In US Amazon store the laptop was priced at USD 1181 + 8.9% sales tax in Atlanta which comes to around $1287 and on Flipkart BBD sale got it for INR 94500 which is USD 1,287.

Coincidence but got it for the exact price as in US. Only difference is that the US model had 512 gb SSD whereas the Indian model has 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD. These are expandable/interchangeable slots so I can take care of any changes in the future anyways. Also, no hassles of warranty as I got it in India itself.

Finally ordered one on Flipkart guys. Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Got the laptop delivered and it’s a beauty!

IMG-20201028-155953

IMG-20201028-160012

Initial impressions:
Keyboard is great. It’s on par with my current macbook air or even a bit better.
It’s damn heavy, feels like carrying around a large boulder sad
The charger is as heavy as my current macbook air biggrin
Trackpad clicks are terrible, especially on the left side. Feels like it’s folding in when clicked on left side.
Runs super silent on most occasions.

Deal Lieutenant Deal Lieutenant
Link Copied

I have the 2018 version of this, and its awesome

PS: 2020 model is damn cool 😍

Benevolent Benevolent
Link Copied

Just wanted to give an update about this laptop as it might help others. I sold it today after using it for less than 2 months. There were some persistent issues that I couldn’t cope up with.

1. The speaker volume is hilariously low
2. Bluetooth connectivity is very patchy and giver breaks in between constantly.

I am currently pursuing some online courses and watch video tutorials for 3 hours or so each day. With such terrible issues related to watching videos it was getting very difficult to manage.

Other issues.
1. Battery life is barely 2.5 to 3 years per charge
2. I personally liked UNIX based programming environment setup that I get to use on MacOS over what I get to use in Windows. May be I am too used to it or it’s that way but this is what I experienced.

Got it for 94k and sold at 89k so 5k loss for using it for 2 months doesn’t seem bad. Will be getting a macbook next month.

replyuser
Click here to reply